Thread: DOTM Deluxe Optimus Prime repaint.

Default DOTM Deluxe Optimus Prime - first attempt at a repaint.

This is my very first attempt at doing a repaint and I did make a couple of mistakes but I'm fairly pleased with my results.

I took some inspiration from this, although I bought the paints before actually seeing that. I hated all the boring grey plastic on this figure so it was a perfect candidate for my first repaint.

Here's a picture of DOTM Deluxe Optimus Prime how he looks normally for reference.

And here's what I did...

During the process

Here you can see one of my major mistakes. I smudged some of the silver on his top left shoulder area and trying to fix it only made it worse and I actually took some of the original painted flames off.

Because I got paint where this isn't actually meant to be any and also because of the mistake on the shoulder, I'm thinking of painting all the red and blue parts black like the Milk exclusive - opinions?

Feedback please! Now I need to find some more cheap TFs to paint! I had so much fun painting Optimus. I highly recommend it to anyone.
    Last edited by jena; 2nd September 2011 at 07:23 AM.

Decepticon Guest

Wow! That is really good! I think that looks good as it is without painting the hole thing. But its a good practice piece for you I spose.

The silver is an insurmountable improvement over the Hasbro-Grey™ IMO, which makes the figure look far more like his on-screen counterpart.
    A bloody good job Jena and as for your next figure, I'd suggest anything that is discounted or on sale dude as practice makes perfect.

hey jena...

heck of a first attempt... he looks alot better than in hasbro grey!

i wouldn't worry about doing him black.... just chalk up the experience and move on to the next one.
    practice makes perfect... as they say.

janda

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I'm kinda tempted to give him some insane paint job, fluro pink or something, just for laughs. We'll see. Tranny Prime?

Awesome job Jena, vast improvement on the original. It got me thinking too - Why don't Hasbro use chrome plated plastic instead of grey like the original toys? Okay I know it comes down to cost but why cheap out? Very good attention to detail btw. Very intricate.

Thanks for the feedback. I used the smallest paintbrush I could buy in some areas, and even that was too big! I hear you, Hasbro use some nice metallic plastics elsewhere, so I don't see why the grey couldn't at least have some sparkle to it. A silver like the silver Kre-o bricks would be nice.

I would like to see it in black :]