Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Voyager Sentinel Prime

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Voyager Sentinel Prime

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Remold of Astrotrain
    Wave - 1
    Released here - July 2016

I know very little about the character in the comics, but I really like the robot design and color scheme. And although this mold was clearly designed as Astrotrain first, I don't think the armored train mode works that well for him.

SPACESHIP MODE:

It's very well designed with some clever panel folding to make the fuselage streamlined. There's lots of sculpted detail that could use some paint to highlight them, but it's not as bad as the train mode. Conceivably you can take a Gundam marker to quickly highlight the canopy windows.

The interactivity with 5mm weapons that can seat Titan Masters has won me over. Great fun. Although the peg holes on the grey hinge pieces seem to be a bit too big. They're made in unpaintable PVC, so maybe it's hard to control tolerance.

TRAIN MODE:

I really like the steampunk-esque design on the train engine, with the heavy armor and artillery. A reviewer compared this mode to the train in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. And I feel that the train mode suits Sentinel Prime a lot better than Astrotrain, who has never been a heavily armed train.

Again, it could use more paint to pick out the sculpted details, especially on the train engine and the gun turrets.

It is an impressive long train. The front rows of wheels on the fold out panel are inexplicably left unpainted..

TRANSFORMATION:
    Very simple and effective. Both alt modes have multiple tabs that lock together very well. The overall transformation design kinda gives me a “Brave" vibe. It is also very similar to Don Figueroa's War Within design

ROBOT MODE:

I quote like the robot mode design. The head sculpt is very Prime-ish and the overall color scheme works well and manages to make the body look less Astrotrain. The retractable collar piece is clearly to homage Astrotrain's shoulder wheels in the cartoon, so I sometimes leave it retracted in the body.

Articulation is average modern transformer level. When the collar piece is up it limits the side to side of the head, but it can rotate about 30 degrees either direction. So you still can get about 45 degrees rotation.

TITAN MASTER:

His little Titan Master dude Infinitus is a just a mini version of him, with painted red face. On a small figure like this a little paint goes a long way.

Although they claim the heads work on all size classes, I think the individual Titans Masters are designed more to interact with Deluxe figures. The head sizes do vary and hey look ridiculously small on a Voyager body.

Overall, I think it is an excellent triple changer. Astrotrain is the better execution of this mold, with more paint apps to highlight the details. But I do think the train mode suits Sentinel Prime a lot better. He's worth picking up if you like the character design, or just like armored steampunk space train with orange burning justice!
    Last edited by doublespy; 23rd July 2016 at 11:20 PM.

This toy looks terrible. I'm only getting it because:
    a/ I've known about the character since the 80s and have always wanted a toy of it (about 12 years ago I custom made my own from a spare G1 Rodimus Prime )
    b/ Because I have Henkei Astrotrain I have no desire to get Titans Return Astrotrain, so this also gives me an excuse to own the new Astrotrain mould.
    But geez... it really looks a lot worse than I anticipated... like an unfinished prototype or a cheesy KO.

It does look better in person but yeah, the color is not for everyone.

Got this toy today. It does look a bit better IRL as it does have some vermilion accents to supposedly offset the orange but uh... it doesn't quite work out so well. I can see that Hasbro are attempting to replicate the colour scheme on IDW Sentinel Prime, but it seems to be one of those colour schemes that looked better on paper than in plastic. Certainly substituting the gunmetal grey for the light and dull grey didn't help. Also, IDW Sentinel Prime does have more greys to break up all his orange.

And IDW Sentinel Prime's colours are based off the original G1 Sentinel Prime's colours, which is still just mostly yellow, orange and red. Let's face it, Marvel never put that much effort into the design of Sentinel Prime, since he literally only appeared in one panel in a flashback in G1!

Overall I find the design of this mould to be pretty ordinary, and I honestly prefer the original Voyager Classics/Henkei Astrotrain over this. The shuttle mode is nice enough, although seeing an armed space shuttle is weird! The overall position and design of the cockpit makes it kinda look like a 1980s Lego spaceship.

The train mode looks daft. The two holes on the grey squares on the wings are a bit too large, and so the guns only fit in loosely and one of them is prone to "gun flop." The legs on my Infinitus are really loose.

On the plus side, at least Infinitus is a real word (Latin for "endless")! Take that, Furos, you angry bathtub!

Overall: I would only recommend this if you're a fan of the G1 Sentinel Prime character and want a toy of it. Or if you're very patriotically Dutch, or if you just want to have a giant robotic Oompa Loompa. Fans of the G1 comics have been waiting for a Sentinel Prime toy since 1988. Far from being a great toy, it's probably the nearest thing we're likely to ever get to a G1 Sentinel Prime toy... for the foreseeable future anyway.

P.S.: The Rise and Fall of Sentinel Prime

Comparison w/ G1 and Henkei Astrotrain.

I really like Orange so don't have an issue with the color. But I wish they had given him some nice highlights, even some yellow lines on his arms like that idw comic art.
    If I buy this I'm going to ruin it with sharpies or paint pens because he needs some highlights.
    Overall I think the robot mode is lovely.

a review of the SDCC set:
    http://blacklai1979.blogspot.com.au/...ans-force.html

It also looks like someone did a wash or panel lining on the regular Sentinel Prime, it shows the details more.

can anyone tell me how to get the head off of this guy? Doesn't want to budge. Galvo's head comes right off easy with one finger, Sentinel's won't come off even with a white knuckle grip. Ball joint starts hyper-extending.

Sentinel's little head dude is designed very closely after his IDW look. Astrotrain's is a repaint of this.

IDW Sentinel on tfwiki

Then there's the armored train mode. I'd assume that Sentinel is not a simple repaint of Astrotrain with a new head. The development of these two were parallel. This makes me feel that the purchase of Sentinel is justified

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    a review of the SDCC set:
    http://blacklai1979.blogspot.com.au/...ans-force.html

It also looks like someone did a wash or panel lining on the regular Sentinel Prime, it shows the details more.
    The panel lining brings out all the details which looks fantastic. The Hasbro Asia stickers in his other review however look atrocious though

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan007 View Post
    can anyone tell me how to get the head off of this guy? Doesn't want to budge. Galvo's head comes right off easy with one finger, Sentinel's won't come off even with a white knuckle grip. Ball joint starts hyper-extending.
    Try wiggle it to expend the clips