Thread: Planet Cybertron promo artwork from TF3

Default Planet Cybertron promo artwork from TF3

For those who took notice of the different version of Cybertron in TF3 (the honeycomb/hive look) to the TF1 version (spiky towers), an image has surfaced from the artist who drew the TF3 version, in its entirety.

The theory that Cybertronians look insectoid, their ships look insectoid, and even the Decepticons behave like a hive... it isn't that hard to believe that their planet would be built to look like a hive. If only they'd taken on that theory from the first movie, instead of "re-writing" what the planet looks like between two movies.

Then again, the Gen1 fan in me, prefers the version we saw in the original series, or even the similar version we've seen in WFC & TFPrime.

I am not a fan of the hive. Maybe if the hive was barely visible below spiky/building looking things instead of being the outer layer. Also the way it covers the entire planet just looks lazy to me - all planets should have regions. Transformers (especially at war) would have an affect the planet but ^this from any height looks too sterile.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Meh... to me we just saw different parts of Cybertron between TF1 and DotM. i.e. perhaps one portion of Cybertron has spikey towers, and another is honeycombed. After all, it's not as if Earth is entirely covered with a single topographical feature - we have forests, oceans, deserts etc. Why can't Cybertron also have a diverse topography? In DotM we only a portion of Cybertron stick out from the Space Bridge wormhole... who's the say that another part that we didn't see didn't look like what we saw in TF1? Even if a lot of Cybertron is covered in those honeycombs, doesn't mean all of it is. After all, Earth is primarily covered in oceans, but that's far from being its only defining feature.

Gok I agree that planets should have regions but look at the link griffin supplied it shows half the planet and has "honeycomb" as far as the optics see. I doubt in a marketing pic that they would bother creating something on the other side of the planet differently but not show it - I fear this Cybertron is all "honeycomb".

I read on another board something like "Cybertron is honeycomb.. well, that explains where all the movie Bumblebees are coming from."
    Last edited by Deonasis; 20th May 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I dislike this rendition of Cybertron. The G1 cartoon ad comic versions with its variety of structures and landmarks are far more interesting and appealing to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Gok I agree that planets should have regions but look at the link griffin supplied it shows half the planet and has "honeycomb" as far as the optics see. I doubt in a marketing pic that they would bother creating something on the other side of the planet differently but not show it - I think this Cybertron is all "honeycomb".
    Perhaps movieverse Cybertron is divided into 2 hemisphere, a honeycombed hemisphere and a rugged hemisphere. This image only shows us Cybertron from one side. Perhaps it's rugged on the Dark Side of the Cybertron.

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    I read on another board something like "Cybertron is honeycomb.. well, that explains where all the movie Bumblebees are coming from."
    Hahaha.

Ever since I saw DotM, I just assumed that the 'spiky towers' Cybertron we saw in the first movie was a lower level, well beneath the honeycomb, which seemed to be the upper layer/s. Or maybe it's like Gok said, where different areas of the planet have different terrains.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

Then again, the Gen1 fan in me, prefers the version we saw in the original series, or even the similar version we've seen in WFC & TFPrime.

WORD! For me, the sonic canyons are just one of the many G1 landmarks that make up my prevailing images of Cybertron (even though most of the planet wasn't named 'til post G1).

Decepticon Guest

The outer layer is honeycomb. The real Cybertron is underneath. Trust me!...I have been there.

So this is Cybertron's Pretender shell?