Thread: How to tell a genuine Takara MP-11 Starscream

Default How to tell a genuine Takara MP-11 Starscream

I've recently started collecting MP Transformers and I've been on the lookout for an MP-11 Starscream, preferably the original Takara (coronation set + grey nosecone). Trouble is, since there is a pretty common KO version that's apparently identical I find it hard to tell if it's actually genuine or not from lisitings.

For example, here's a listing in Premium Collectibles (currently out of stock) and ebay:

http://www.premiumcollectables.com.a...scream-reissue

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Masterpie...oAAOSwHMJYOAoL

Is there any way to tell if these are actually non-KO versions?

Welcome to the board, Mormolyce.

I don't know about counterfeits, but apparently there was a legitimate Chinese reissue of MP11 in 2013 and this link explains the differences between the original and reissue, so if you come across a toy with these differences then at least you'll know that it's not a counterfeit. I found this video which reviews the counterfeit and also compares it with the original. I can't be bothered the whole 25 min thing, but from according to what the guy says at the beginning of the vid, there's no difference between the box and the counterfeit appears to be darker than the original.

Have they only counterfeited the original Japanese MP11 or has the Chinese reissue been counterfeited too? Because if the reissue hasn't been counterfeited, then my advice to you would be to get the reissue. That way you're guaranteed not to be wasting your money on a fake, and the reissue also comes with the Coronation gear.

Because you could try to hunt down an original Japanese MP11 even as a loose sample (that way you can try and see if the colours are right in photos), but even then the colour of a toy can be hard to tell due to photography/lighting conditions without an original toy right next to it. I personally wouldn't risk it and would go for the reissue if I were you.

Good luck

P.S. Just letting you know for future reference that there's a dedicated section for discussions on identifying counterfeits here.

Robot Kingdom has the Takara reissue available for order. I have always found them good to deal with.

Robot Kingdom still has stock of Starscream. http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp11re.html

Safest way is to buy from a reliable vendor, i.e. Robot Kingdom, HLJ, BBTS, etc. etc. And don't forget your fellow forumers here who have been around for a while.

Ebay is an unknown quantity unless the seller has a really good reputation.

Thanks for the help guys! I probably should've started with "hi everyone" :P

That post on the China release was really useful. I wonder if the improvements made on that release will be ported over to the new stock that various places are saying will be in around April 2017.

Also thanks for the Robot Kingdom recommendation. I was looking at their postage options:

Registered Air Mail Parcel US$ 36.71
    Registered Air Mail Small Packet US$ 43.77
    EMS US$ 46.43

Is it worth paying more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Thanks for the help guys! I probably should've started with "hi everyone" :P

That post on the China release was really useful. I wonder if the improvements made on that release will be ported over to the new stock that various places are saying will be in around April 2017.

Also thanks for the Robot Kingdom recommendation. I was looking at their postage options:

Registered Air Mail Parcel US$ 36.71
    Registered Air Mail Small Packet US$ 43.77
    EMS US$ 46.43

Is it worth paying more?
    Postage from HK where RK is based is expensive. In my experience EMS will get from HK to Brisbane or Sydney in 24 to 48 hours. If that's worth it for you than do it otherwise standard delivery is a week or two longer. Note: don't use small package for large items like MP11, it's standard speed but cost extra.