Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 16th April 2018, 11:58 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

"Karate" vs "Ninjutsu"
I honestly can't tell which is the more incompetent fighter. <facepalm>
Old 20th April 2018, 09:31 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Saw some guys promoting a notorious McDojo at a shopping centre today. This is the same McDojo that I trained at a few years ago desperately looking for something positive to say about it but after months of training I found nothing. Interestingly enough I noticed that none of their advertising material featured the words "Self Defence." Although their website still does.

My advice to anyone looking to do a martial art is to honestly be skeptical and assume that every school you're looking at is a rubbish school. In other words, apply onus probandi (Burden of Proof). If someone claims that their martial actually works as a fighting form do not believe them unless they can prove it. I know that this sounds incredibly pessimistic, but the problem is that there are so many rubbish schools out there, and I myself am sick and tired of giving schools the benefit of the doubt only to be disappointed over and over again, that it's actually safer to assume that a system doesn't work unless they can prove to you that it does.

And even after you begin training, continue to be curious, inquisitive and ask loads of questions. Be nitpicky! If you see a technique being shown or demonstrated to you, question it! Only continue to train at the school so long as they can continue convincing you that their techniques actually work. That's what I've been doing, and while I'm quite happy training at my current school it is because the instructor continues to satisfy my skeptical curiosity.

And I don't mean being skeptical or questioning in a nasty, aggressive or disrespectful way -- you should be able to question what's being taught. And if the instructor doesn't foster a class environment where you feel comfortable asking questions then that's a warning sign. Either what their teaching isn't very good (hence they don't want to allow anyone to question them), or they're just not good teachers! Because every teacher knows that fostering curiosity and inquisitiveness is crucial to good teaching practice. Avoid those "shut up and just do as your told and copy me" style 'teachers.' It astounds me how incompetent so many martial arts instructors are. Imagine if any other sports coach or classroom teacher taught with such reckless abandon for basic learning.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:13 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

No rules BJJ vs Karate - predictably the black belt Karateka gets easily beaten by the Juujutsuka.

The way that the Karateka lost is all too indicative of how too many martial artists are training these days -- too many restrictions which dilutes the art. Whereas BJJ has actually worked well to maintain much of its tenacity even with competition training. I think the key essence is that BJJ isn't into the whole 'point sparring' thing. They aim to terminate the fight as quickly and with as few moves as possible, which is really the spirit of traditional martial arts anyway. So perhaps this is why, unlike many other martial arts, BJJ has managed to survive relatively in tact even when modified for competition fighting, because they still maintain the core spirit of what martial arts is meant to be about -- ending a fight, not continuing it.

If I may use a Chess analogy, competition martial arts tends to promote the idea of playing the game where you take pieces and aim to put the opponent in Check, and let's say that for each Check you win a point. So you're encouraged to continually Check your opponent to win a maximum number of points, but in doing so you are prolonging the game and also giving your opponent opportunities to Check you back. This is at complete odds with the traditional martial arts mindset, which is more geared towards enforcing an immediate Checkmate. The objective is to become like a Chess master where you can Checkmate your opponent with as few moves as possible, like say a 3-move Checkmate. And we see this in BJJ -- they execute only a small number of moves before the opponent is locked on the ground. Checkmate.

This is how Karate is supposed to work. This is how every martial art is supposed to work. The problem is that in the modern age, as competition martial arts have become popular, many schools have simply lost this edge as their training methodology has shifted from "enforce immediate Checkmate" to "get as many Checks as possible and stack those points!" And I almost feel sorry for the Karateka at the end of the fight. Look at his face. The tempered rage and also disappointment... he might be wondering why the hell his black belt Karate training has failed him so miserably. All the years and thousands of dollars that he's spent on this training, only to lose so easily to a random BJJ fighter. He looks to be in a combined state of shock and emotional denial.

This is why I was floating between schools for so long before I settled on my current one. There's no point in sticking with a martial arts school if their training is bad. Aside from wasting your time and money, it can also be dangerous as they teach you bad habits! I know that I've picked up some bad habits from some of the schools that I've been floating around in recent years. My Karate training made me stop guarding my head. My previous Tai Chi and Bagua training made my 'bridging attack' skills worsen. Any skills that you're not practising or that you're practising incorrectly will make your fighting form worse. It's only been in this year with my Baji training that I've started to re-learn things and correct some of the bad habits I've picked up along the way.