8 29.63%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

2 7.41%
  • Not even interested

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - RODIMUS PRIME (Kingdom)

Default Toy Review - RODIMUS PRIME (Kingdom)

ROADIMUS PRIME (Kingdom Come)
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Kingdom
    Size/class - Commander
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 3
    Released here - May 2021
    Approximate Retail Price - $150
    Approximate Size - 19cm to top of spoilers, 17cm head height
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cosmic Winnebago
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Dual vehicle modes, trailer (see below)
    Main Colours - maroon, yellow & orange
    Main Accessories - rifle, sword, Matrix

Car^Station wagon Mode

In the future year of 2006, we'll all be driving station wagons with external pipes, painted flames and massive wings on the back that put modern aviation to shame. Can't wait.

Caravan of Courage

I initially had difficulty in keeping the trailer closed. One tip; apply pressure on the side tabs towards the front of the trailer. I have found that these are the most important tabs in keeping the trailer securely closed.

The first Rodimus Prime toy with a functional trailer! <3 I love it! It has a door and ramp that can open, plus enough space to fit a Deluxe Class car or smaller. And similar to MP44, the trailer has a tray underneath to store accessories. This is so much better than Earthrise Optimus Prime's pitiful excuse for a trailer.

Is it cannon?

Kingdom Roddy's cannon is mounted on a 5mm port, allowing it to swivel 360?, plus be removable. The blast shields are permanently attached and swing in and out during transformation, like the G1 toy where they're removable.

Robot mode

Comparison with G1

By the power of Iacon!

The way that the vehicle folds up into the backpack and into the legs is quite complex. The arm wheels also tuck in and fold over the upper arms. Unplugging some of these tabs can be a pain in the neck though, as some of the connections are quite tight.

Another comparison with G1

I haven't taken a photo of the toy with the Matrix or with an Autobot Car in the trailer yet (I'll post those next time).

OVERALL
    In execution it's not as nice as Siege Jetfire or Earthrise Sky Lynx, but to be fair, this is a more ambitious design. This is really a Poor Man's Masterpiece, only that it's arguably better than MP09 Rodimus Convoy; at least in terms of dollar value. I don't have to worry about the back spoiler undoing itself or scratching the paint off the spoiler as with MP09.

I personally think that this toy is well worth the Commander Class price point. The core figure itself is nearly as tall as a Leader Class toy, but with a more complex transformation (and thus parts count) than a typical Leader Class toy. So I'd say that the core figure itself is worth more than a Leader Class figure; if they sold this toy on its own it might cost say about $120. Then the trailer itself is actually better than I expected. It's a good size, plus it has dual doors and the storage tray. If this trailer were sold as a separate accessory, we might expect to pay roughly $30. So in total, I do think that the toy is worth $150.

Whether you'll like the toy is a different question. It is much more complex than Jetfire and Sky Lynx, but to the point where some parts of the transformation becomes more laborious than fun. :/ I personally think this is a great toy and much better value than Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime. Recommended.

I just assumed that this would be an easy transformation: its hot rod, and I could handle the TR version. Plus its just a trailer that opens up. This would have been a big disappointment for me, to find its ?much more complex than Jetfire and Sky Lynx?.
    Both toys that I just adore, but mainly because I can actually remember how to transform the darn things and can do so with enjoyment rather than frustration.

In most cases a Goktimus review has me wanting to buy, but I appreciate the warning that it may be ?more laborious than fun :/?

Better it goes to fans that really want it when it hits Big W and enjoy the transformation, than someone like me that will get frustrated.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I don't agree it is more complicated than Jetfire. There are some parts that are tricky to do, but that's because of clearance issues, not because it's hard to work out what needs to go where.

Overall he is a lot of fun. I'd say the most fun I've had with a trailer since MP-44, and to be fair that's a $600 figure!
    Not sure it's quite worth the $150 asking price, but that won't be an issue for those of you who plan on getting it during the Big W sale in a couple of weeks. He's easily worth more than a standard leader.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I wonder if there will be an opportunity to get the robot figure as a standalone down the line? Similar to how ER Optimus was available as a standalone in the Netflix set.

I think it's a great looking beefed up version of the Hot Rod alt mode.

I'd rather pay a Voyager prince for that on its own than whole set.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Why!!!!???!?!?!

Why do they have to make every Rodimus also a Hotrod? There was no need and never was...

The overly long car/cab just ruins the entire piece for me. Sure G1 looked stupid without the trailer... but you just made it work and played with it. We had Hotrod and Rodimus, and if I wanted to downgrade I’d park Roddy behind a door and Hotrod would come racing out for a bit.... kill some ‘Cons and then race back.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Why!!!!???!?!?!

Why do they have to make every Rodimus also a Hotrod? There was no need and never was...

The overly long car/cab just ruins the entire piece for me. Sure G1 looked stupid without the trailer... but you just made it work and played with it. We had Hotrod and Rodimus, and if I wanted to downgrade I’d park Roddy behind a door and Hotrod would come racing out for a bit.... kill some ‘Cons and then race back.
    So you would prefer the alt mode of Rodimus to be like the G1 version that is useless it is connected to the trailer...???

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I wonder if there will be an opportunity to get the robot figure as a standalone down the line? Similar to how ER Optimus was available as a standalone in the Netflix set.

I think it's a great looking beefed up version of the Hot Rod alt mode.

I'd rather pay a Voyager prince for that on its own than whole set.
    Isn't that what SS86 Hot Rod is for?
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    So you would prefer the alt mode of Rodimus to be like the G1 version that is useless it is connected to the trailer...???
    Don’t mind it.... as long as the proportions are better than this junk...

At least MP made it look like it all went together

Considering the effort that went into the transformation process, I feel this figure could have been better designed. Rodimus' bot mode looks good but his vehicle mode is boxy and flatter than I would expect. When the trailer is attached it lacks the cohesion of the G1 original and really looks like the trailer design was shoehorned to just work at the expense of aesthetics or clever engineering.

I think I would have liked a more G1-nny truck and trailer Rodimus Prime, but I don't hate this figure...just a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Isn't that what SS86 Hot Rod is for?
    I can't stand the fake chest on the SS figure. It's a deal killer for me.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.