Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Madman Field Blend the Remastered G1 DVDs?

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Of course 120z or better TVs then have other problems *cough*Soap Opera Effect*cough*.
    I'm with you. Just bought a new Sony TV yesterday and spent 30 minutes researching settings for it and disabling any of the CinemotionFlowSoapOperaHell options!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Is that shot of Blitzwing from the opening credits? I can check the Jazz on the platform scene, but I don't think the remastered season one set includes season two's opening credits anywhere.
    Yup, that's the Blitzwing from the opening credits, I added it because I thought it would give more impact then an unidentifiable block of metal. It shows the same problem though, the frame in the middle doesn't exist on it's own so it's impossible to properly reconvert the episodes to their original frame rates. There's blending everywhere throughout the episodes, but I thought it was important to point out where frames have simply ceased to exist because of it.

Almost a day and I'm still none the wiser. I'm still trying to remember where I saw all the remastered sets lined up nice a neatly recently...

So while we are on the topic. I have a MKV I made of season 1 disk 1 of Madman's Remastered set. How do I change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 as it should be and then split the file up into episodes?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

What about me, the guy that hates the constantly changing aspect ratios and film medium on AOE's 3D Blu-ray?

But I think we have found our biggest videophile.

I've never noticed this issue in content. But i do see blurriness in non-120hz or better LCD panels. Of course 120z or better TVs then have other problems *cough*Soap Opera Effect*cough*.

Anyway I can't see any Frame Blending in Blitzwing's transformation in the intro of the first episode on season 2's first disk. But there are other issues that might annoy you. It's not actually a HD Remaster. What they actually did was take 2 separate sources of video and edit them together. You go from what appears to be Kid Rhino's DVD video to what appears to be the Broadcast tapes that Madman used on their last DVD release.
    Hmm, I missed this. I'm not concerned about defects from the actual source, that's unavoidable and is just a part of the series at this point. Can you see any blending AT ALL? I'm assuming you're watching it on a TV and I can't ask you to watch it through VLC and check for interlacing. So if it's the best answer I'm going to get "there is no blending" will have to do.

I'd have replaced my discs long ago if I thought the remastered versions were free from this disease, if they are then that's problem solved. (The original Ben 10 is another story, it's Amazon or bust for them...)

Quote Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Hmm, I missed this. I'm not concerned about defects from the actual source, that's unavoidable and is just a part of the series at this point. Can you see any blending AT ALL? I'm assuming you're watching it on a TV and I can't ask you to watch it through VLC and check for interlacing. So if it's the best answer I'm going to get "there is no blending" will have to do.

I'd have replaced my discs long ago if I thought the remastered versions were free from this disease, if they are then that's problem solved. (The original Ben 10 is another story, it's Amazon or bust for them...)
    Tried it both in the Mac's built in DVD player app and my Xbox One's Blu-ray app and paused in multiple places and it looks nothing like what you showed off in the images. I'll check in VLC later.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

So while we are on the topic. I have a MKV I made of season 1 disk 1 of Madman's Remastered set. How do I change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 as it should be and then split the file up into episodes?
    16:9? It's one of those is it. DVD's store aspect ratios in two places, one set is stored in the IFO files, which is what every DVD player on earth will read obey, the other place is in the MPEG2 stream itself, which DVD players simply ignore. Most of the time the stream AR matches the AR in the IFO, but since it's redundant information it doesn't have to. Of course MakeMKV removes the actual streams from the VOBs and leaves the IFO files behind so what you end up with is a file with the stream AR which is sometimes wrong.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Restream

Either of these should be able to modify the AR in the stream. They're old programs so they may not work very well with modern MKVs, so you'll need to use MKVExtract (MKVCleaver/gMKVExtractGUI) to extract the video as an m2v first then run the programs on the m2v files. That should fix the AR issue. After that you need to remux the video back into the file using MKVMerge. Make sure when you remux the file you set the video's aspect ratio to 4:3 (768, 576) because like a DVD an MKV stores it's ARs in two places.

If you want to split the file the easiest way is to use MKVMerge GUI (MMG), load the file into it, then switch to the Global Tab, choose Split Mode -> Split Before Chapters and enter the chapter numbers you want to split at. Assuming they haven't been renamed you should be able to see the chapter numbers by looking at the file using MediaInfo or Loading the file into the MMG chapter editor.

Tried it both in the Mac's built in DVD player app and my Xbox One's Blu-ray app and paused in multiple places and it looks nothing like what you showed off in the images. I'll check in VLC later.
    (I missed an AND between read and obey.)

It's looking promising, it sounds like its been IVTC'd (inverse telecined or detelecined) and then sped up. So I NEED to buy it!

If you manage to look at it with VLC, make sure deinterlacing is turned off and remember that pressing the 'e' key advances by a single frame. If it turns out to be interlaced, that's not a good sign. You should turn deinterlacing on at that point (yadif x2 is best) and try your best to figure out what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    (I missed an AND between read and obey.)

It's looking promising, it sounds like its been IVTC'd (inverse telecined or detelecined) and then sped up. So I NEED to buy it!

If you manage to look at it with VLC, make sure deinterlacing is turned off and remember that pressing the 'e' key advances by a single frame. If it turns out to be interlaced, that's not a good sign. You should turn deinterlacing on at that point (yadif x2 is best) and try your best to figure out what's going on.
    I know what regular bad old interlacing looks like and I can't see any signs of it on the Madman release in VLC, looks really nice for a 30 year old sometimes poorly animated TV show.

I have the original release of Transformers Cybertron from Singapore. Thats pretty bad interlacing until you turn deinterlacing on in VLC. I'm actually considering buying the new Shout Factory release of Cybertron to replace it in the hope it's not interlaced.

LOUD NOISES!!!
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Okay had a look at the Remastered Season 1 discs 1 and 2 in VLC player. Deinterlace is off. I don't see anything like you saw with the frames merged together. The animation frame-to-frame looks "whole" to me, no ghosting/blurring that I can see in each scenes I looked at (including transformations and that same Jazz scene). Each frame looks like a complete animation frame, like you could screenshot it and it look right.

Codec information from VLC says:
    MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
    Res 720 x 576
    Frame rate: 50
    Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUB