Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: TFCC Botcon 2016 theme - Dawn of the Predacus

Yeah, as much as I love Beast Wars, I'm not feeling this for the same reason that others have cited. But I suppose that they're wanting to find some way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Beast Wars and perhaps they can only use the moulds which Hasbro allow them to use and make do with those.

It's arguably not much worse than a G1 character made from a repainted Beast Wars mould, like Arcee, Grimlock, Ironhide, Prowl, Silverbolt, and arguably Windrazor.

Will we get a Tigatron repaint from Ravage? I hope so cause I haven't been able to source the dawn of futures past version

I could not possibly be more underwhelmed by this.....
    The ravage head on breakdowns body just looks so off to me.
    And even though I am glad they're honouring beast wars' anniversary this just feels more like a slap in the face. Here have a beast wars-ish head slapped on a vehicle body
    More than anything though, I am sick of the combiner wars moulds! I do not want these same moulds we've been getting all year and will continue to get next year now also in both the subscription service AND Botcon!

So cynical Griffin ;-)

I am impressed that they are starting to release actual convention information this early.

not being particularly into Beast Wars I hope for others sake that it's a suitable anniversary set. I personally am completely underwhelmed at the prospect of more toys with the same transformation as every other toy on the shelf this year and next year.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Ravage is prob the only figure I'd be interested in. I loved how one of the smallest and weakest Cons from G1 turned up in the BW cartoon and pretty much handed everyone their arses on a platter However given the cost of acquiring him on his own it will prob be a pass for me

The 'Predacus' name intrigues me. In Beast Wars (Anglophone continuity), the Predacon gestalt is Tripredacus; an amalgam of three Predacons. So I wonder, will this be a set of Combiner Wars toys redecoed as Predacons to form a Predacon gestalt? If so, what will the gestalt be called? Tripredacus doesn't seem appropriate if there's going to be more than three component members. And if they're going to keep with the Latin nomenclature, then will it be Quintepredacus? Although if there's going to be a 6th member (e.g. Legends Class chest plate) would it be Sexpredacus? Although they could easily go with Greek nomenclature (as "Tri" is both Greek and Latin), and a 5-member gestalt could be Pentapredacus and a 6-member could be Hexapredacus.

Yes, it would mean combining Greek prefixes with Latin-looking suffixes, however...
    1/ While 'Predacus' may appear to be Latin at first glance, it's actually not. Obvious the 'preda' part of "Predacon" comes from "predator," which comes from the Latin word praedari meaning to loot, plunder or ravage. AFAIK praedari never declines as 'predacus.' The perfect active tense would be praedātus, as in "praedātus sum" ("I ravage").
    2/ Transformers has a long history of mixing Greek and Latin words to form names anyway. Omega Supreme, Superion, and more recently, Victorion. All Greek-Latin hybrid names.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If so, what will the gestalt be called? Tripredacus doesn't seem appropriate if there's going to be more than three component members...... Latin nomenclature, ......... Quintepredacus? ............ be Sexpredacus? ........go with Greek nomenclature ........... Pentapredacus .......... Hexapredacus.
    Based on FunPub's announcement and title of the 2016 theme, the character is (The) "Predacus".

Yes Sexpredacus has that nice, child friendly ring to it doesn't it
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I love Beast Wars and went out of my way to collect the entire 2006 Botcon set. I thought that the way they handled a BW prequel was awesome and the associated comic was good too.

This set on the other hand? I don't feel it. Seems tacked on with little thought to it. Basically shoehorning random contemporary molds as BW characters with just a head change - Lame.

Oh well, I was kind of dismissing this anyways given how terrible and lazy FunPub have gotten over the years.

Didn't know that they failed to sell out Botcon last year - Not surprised as the fan ran conventions are said to be much better and grander than what FunPub is putting together.
    Last edited by kup; 9th October 2015 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Didn't know that they failed to sell out Botcon last year - Not surprised as the fan ran conventions are said to be much better and grander than what FunPub is putting together.
    The fans have certainly been flocking to the fan-run conventions in the last few years, since FunPub started screwing over their customers from about 2010.

Each year the BotCon attendance/interest seems to drop off, as more and more of the convention toys and events fail to sell out. This year's BotCon was the worst on record (I'd say even worse than 2005), as it failed to sell out of...
    - pre-registration
    - boxsets
    - loose sets
    - both Custom Classes (they sold out the Thursday class)
    - both Frank Welker VIP groups (they sold out one group I believe)
    - the diaclone 2-pack
    - the Gen2 2-pack
    - the Wasp 4-pack
    - the kreo pack
    - and probably the custom class toy, poster, trading cards, tshirt and hat, as I didn't see any "sold out" signs up by the end of the weekend (which they post up when they sell out to stop people trying to order them).