0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Sunstreaker

What about grimlock? Pretty sure there’s no wheels on that guy

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    A wheelie good point

I knew I'd regret asking that question

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MP Sunstreaker is wonderful, and looks better in person imo, especially the head sculpts and backpack.

The yellow paint and chrome look beautiful in hand. The fully integrated transformation from super tuning to stock configuration is something I didn't think was necessary but the engineering has won me over. In standard configuration he looks almost identical to Sideswipe, which is always interesting to me that two TFs with different transformation schedule turn into the same alt mode. Although due to better parts distribution Sunstreaker looks cleaner in car mode than his brother. I absolutely love the pop-up headlights. The hood and seagull doors are nice too. This is where you start to feel the difference a hugely increased parts count makes. Is some of these absolutely necessary to include? Maybe not. Am I glad they did it? That's a big yes personally.

I didn't quite enjoy the transformation first time around. The instructions are actually quite clear per TT's high standards (yeah I'm looking at you Hasblow), it's just that there're so many steps jammed on a small piece of paper sometimes it's hard to make out what goes where. For previous car bots this was fine but now TT really need to print the instructions on a bigger piece of paper. There're couple places where things do tab in securely that easily get missed partly because of the instructions being difficult to read.

I personally don't think it's over-engineered, as the end results look amazing, and the efficient use of space is marvelous. However I do think the flip-out tabs on the chest and the locking mechanism of of the double elbow joint break the flow of an otherwise excellent transformation experience a bit. It's like in the middle of the transformation you need to stop and thread a need for a sec. Again, the engineering on the back section of car mode is superb. With a clever locking system to engage/disengage the flip piece to convert between two car configurations, it almost feels like the assembly itself is a triple changer; and compacts into the backpack with a couple of nice touches.

Again, the head sculpts look much better in person imho and very expressive just like Megatron's. Proportions are lovely and the backpack compacts well.

Sunstreaker is so articulated that I'm willing to call him an action figure that transforms. And the majority of limitation he has lies in sculpt, not the lack of articulation point. His articulation is very similar to Megatron and I really hope we're seeing a pattern here. The front and side skirts are one piece that can rotate with the thigh joint, which is a clever touch. The pics above demonstrate some use of the butterfly joint, ab crunch, lateral wrist swivel and a thumb joint. Combined with what's already standard for the MP line, Sunstreaker has no problem pulling off some amazing poses with ease.

The pics above show the importance of the neck joint having a good up range, and having an extra joint to allow for extra downward range. They basically give an extra layer of scale in your display. What's so good about characters properly scaled together when Megatron can't look at Bumblebee or Sunstreaker in the eye in a battle display?

With Sideswipe. The difference here is more about the different direction MP has taken on over the years and the extra budget really. Sideswipe is still a great figure in its own right.

Overall, Sunstreaker is a great addition to the line after Megatron and worth the price imho.

Depending on how the next G1 MP looks, I'd like to think we're seeing the soft reboot of Masterpiece line with Megatron and Sunstreaker, which is marked by:

- slavish focus on cartoon accuracy.
    - increase price/budget which allow for extra parts count to allow for more complicated engineering and extra accessories including multiple alt faces; and additional articulation points (where physically possible) in: ball joint neck (extra hinge for downward movement), shoulder butterfly joint, ab crunch, lateral wrist and thumb joint.

Only time will tell whether this will turn out to be MP 3.0, I for one am loving this new direction TT is taking on, and will surely vote positively with my wallet.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Boy Sunstreaker is nice. After a meandering transformation without instructions he is sitting on the table in front of me being impressive. He just has really good proportions.

Right now the post that has impressed me most is that he is able to put his foot on the center line under his hips. Why is that impressive? Sunstreaker is able to lift his other foot from the ground without leaning his torso out to compensate. Not just stand on one foot. Stand on one foot naturally. Not many bots can make that claim. Benefits of an inward curved thigh and outward ankle tilt. He can be posed Walking. Not just Running.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Boy Sunstreaker is nice. After a meandering transformation without instructions he is sitting on the table in front of me being impressive. He just has really good proportions.

Right now the post that has impressed me most is that he is able to put his foot on the center line under his hips. Why is that impressive? Sunstreaker is able to lift his other foot from the ground without leaning his torso out to compensate. Not just stand on one foot. Stand on one foot naturally. Not many bots can make that claim. Benefits of an inward curved thigh and outward ankle tilt. He can be posed Walking. Not just Running.
    The thigh tilt that bends inward is not accessible anymore if the inner shin panel is tabbed in properly, but it is indeed very nice to have that option for posing.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Really? I think we are looking at something differently. I am looking at the thigh. It is curved from the hip to the knee so if you put the hip joint as close to the centre line as possible the knee is under the crotch rather than the hip. That is a really subtle and human difference.

I still don’t have mine yet as it’s coming from LTC. But one thing I’m not liking is the size of his face compared to Sideswipe. I know Sideswipe is an older MP but his face looks half the size of Sunstreakers. They just don’t go well together but I hope I can think differently when I have him in hand.

Again impressed with TT's offering...they're slow as hell to release but their engineering and design is second to none. The poseability is amazing, and the way the backpack is held in shows they've learned so much from previous toys, i.e. MP-9 Rodimus. It's nice to have another ark crew member, and a splash of yellow on a shelf dominated by red, white and blue.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

i liked this one enough that i bought two one to keep in car mode and one for bot mode and to transform while watching tv