Thread: RIP Herb Trimpe

Default RIP Herb Trimpe

G1 comic book artist Herb Trimpe has passed away.

#11 is one of my personal favourite issues from the 1985 run. I remember the first time I read it. A schoolmate bought it before me, and my family was at his place for dinner. Afterwards while the adults were chatting in the dining room, he, his cousin and I went to their lounge room and started reading his Transformers comics. He'd picked up the latest issue which I hadn't gotten yet, which was #11. I sat down on a bean bag and started reading it, while other kids were playing lightsabre fights in the corridor. It was absolutely captivating; seeing a mere boy wielding the power of the Creation Matrix in his mind; it was as if he had super Jedi mind powers! And seeing Jetfire soar supreme... the moment where he swoops in, picking up Sparkplug's tow truck in one hand and reaching out for the humans with the other, then seeing Buster defiantly stand up and risk exposing his new found powers in front of Sparkplug and Jessie -- it had me on the edge of my... bean bag. And if that wasn't exciting enough, I turned the page to have my eyes feast upon that full page splash of buster tearing Jetfire to pieces with his mind!

PHWWWOOOAAARR!

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor before finishing off that comic book and going off the play Star Wars with the others.

Thank you ever so much, Mr. Trimpe.

Sad news.

I'll always remember Herb Trimpe for his art in the GI Joe over his Transformers issues, While he was not my favourite artists he was really consistent, seeing his name meant that whatever you were about to read was going to have good detailed and consistent artwork free of armature mistakes. He was also pretty much the main artist for GI Joe Special Missions and was a master at drawing military vehicles in great detail especially jets. His work on the Joe TF crossover was decent too, even if that was not a high point for either series.

He will be missed.