Thread: GoBots DVD (US only at this time)

Default GoBots DVD (US only at this time)

Also celebrating 30 years old, the Gobots are getting a DVD release this year, and by the looks of it (this being Volume 1 with 30 episodes), it might end up being the whole series.

It should be available from other sites that ship internationally, but that link is just to show the item in question.
    It might even end up being released in Australia as well.

I think it's Made to Order from Warner Bros, which means it won't be available from other stores at all.

WB has a rather large range of old TV and movies that they release this way in the US.

Really annoys me that they would run the risk of limiting the success of this DVD set.
    By only shipping to U.S. addresses, if a future "Volume 2" is dependant on the sales of "Volume 1"? - Warner Bros. are shooting themselves in the foot!

Seems that, even 30 years later, Gobots are still on the receiving end of questionable marketing decisions.

For posterity, here's a link to a SoundCloud Recording of the Gobots Wondercon 2014 Panel from the weekend just past, in which the history of Gobots and this DVD set are discussed.

Ran across this thread a few weeks back so scoped out this dvd set on ebay. It's going for a pretty penny at the current time but the first dvd featuring the original mini series is quite cheap so I've got one of those on the way now to sample how good (or probably bad) this show was again.

The last time I remember it being on free to air (in Sydney at least) was about 1991. It came on at 9am for some reason so no school kids could ever actually see it unless you wagged the first half hour of the day.

So I picked these up over the past month & a bit...

I got them both via Amazon (The Volume 1 of the series through a Reseller via Amazon , first time doing that too!) and I've got to say that the Gobots have never looked better!
    (*Note: My tablet's ability to take photos REALLY don't do these brand-new HD-Remastered transfers any justice! )

It's so great not having to rely on downloaded, ancient, VHS-rips! - The only downside is that the sets seem to have the episodes ordered by "Air-Date" and as such the, loosely held, overall narrative arc is broken with certain characters showing up before they've even been made or introduced, or stories happening before others that they rely upon!
    (Not all too dissimilar to what occurred with the 90s X-Men Cartoon's episode order )

I definitely recommend grabbing them if you can and also watch them following this guide.

Well done Hursticon. Would love to own a decent copy of Gobots. How many episodes are in series1?
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Very cool Hursti. Lot of fingers being pointed there.
    Coptur is the saddest looking copter i've ever seen.. poor guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Well done Hursticon. Would love to own a decent copy of Gobots. How many episodes are in series1?
    Thus far Warner Archive have broken the 65 episode (+1 Movie ) series into:
    • "The Original Miniseries" - Eps #1-5 (5 Episodes)
    • "The Series: Volume 1" - Eps #6-35 (30 Episodes)

It's been hinted that they'll announce "Volume 2" by the end of this year, which will include Episodes #36-60.

I'm hoping that with the 110min (5 Episode) difference between the 2 Volumes they might include the Gobots/Rocklords Movie along with the 2nd Volume set, but knowing how Warner Brothers likes to work, they'll likely hold that over for an independent release.

Hope that helps mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Slag View Post
    Very cool Hursti. Lot of fingers being pointed there.
    Coptur is the saddest looking copter i've ever seen.. poor guy
    Yeah it wasn't intentional but oddly enough, I seemed to of just caught pointed moments!

Hehe, I reckon Cop-tur works for a Space-Chopper - Just don't look at him from beneath!
    (In a way tho, that makes him kinda freaky as there's just this Evil Robotic face staring down at you, before he descends & transforms into a Cyborg with a wicked voice & brandishing a spinning rotor-blade used to spill the blood of the innocent! )

Man that's cool!
    Rekindles heaps of awesome memories!
    Had quite a few Gobots toys... They came in small boxes with Japanese writing if I'm not mistaken.
    Yes... MR01, MR02, etc.
    The bigger ones that I got much later as a kid came with English on their boxes.
    There was a female baddie with lipstick that transformed into a race car I think... used to hate that one.
    Gobots never were as cool as Transformers though.