Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263141 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

hmmm my G1 downshift is starting to yellow as well - kinda like Classics Ramjet, and my collection room is blocked out from the sun... prolly those plastics used really do just get yellowed after some time (plastic formula problem) better grab me some H2O2 again...darn now Ill have to buy another sticker set coz it will peel off.

Also the ones I did soak and gotten white before - AM Megatron, RiD Prowl did yellow again after a few months but I dont want to dip AM megs again coz the other colored bits of him are already fading (purple groin, eyes, fists)
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

This is a very discouraging news/fact that the yellowing will return.Can't we have a permanent solution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Supergodginrai View Post
    This is a very discouraging news/fact that the yellowing will return.Can't we have a permanent solution to this?
    Painting them would be the only way and that is not much of a solution. Unfortunately that's the chemistry of the plastic and there is little that can be done.

Liege, Use Heroic Decepticon's sticker removal method with lighter fluid to safely remove your stickers before dipping.

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com...kers-from.html

Quote Originally Posted by Atlmyk View Post
    *snip*

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before but I know glass blocks most UV light. Here is the best explanation I can find and link on the webbernets...
    http://www.physicsforums.com/archive.../t-382015.html
    The point being that using a glass jar is like putting spf 100 sunscreen on the pieces before putting them out to get as much UV light as possible. Knowing this I tried a different method and got full white in about 1 hour. And putting a jar behind a window is about as good as sticking it in a dark closet.

I used a glass roasting pan like this
    I only used regular store bought 3% peroxide amped up with 1tbs of oxygen cleaner per 50ml. I arranged the pieces and placed outside in a nice sunny section of my deck. I mixed the peroxide and powder in a pitcher and only poured on after I had the roaster where I wanted it. Thin liquids and somewhat shallow pans are a big splash risk and I would hate to get this on my carpet. I covered in plastic wrap and since I had one to use I propped up a mirror next to the pan to drop even more uv rays on the brew. I did this in hopes of avoiding multiple days of soaking, Victory Leo had extensive yellowing. After a little over one hour I went out to make sure the brew was still out of the sun and adjust the mirror. After adjusting I got curious and pulled back the plastic wrap and fished out a piece from under the foam and I was shocked, it was one of the pieces that was almost beyond yellowing and at the point of browning but now after only a few minutes it was white as mountain snow. I brought it in, washed and compared and it was fully whitened.

Long story short (tldr) Get as much uv light as possible and don't worry about strong peroxide. I did this on April 9th in a north Atlanta suburb in 2pm sun.
    Thanks for the tips dude.

I have mirrored your advice above onto my site, here. Hope it helps more people!

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Liege, Use Heroic Decepticon's sticker removal method with lighter fluid to safely remove your stickers before dipping.

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com...kers-from.html
    Damnit Leige, we share the same basement and you don't yet know the Zippo magic juice formula?

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Damnit Leige, we share the same basement and you don't yet know the Zippo magic juice formula?

I use it to burn stuff..... is all me like flamessssss
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    thanks Atlmyk for sharing with us your experience and for the link ~explaining about UV being blocked by glass.
    Do you have any before and after pics you can show us?

my results are here:

i cant speak for the others who have tried this, but i chose to keep the parts in a sealed glass jar because:
    a) i didnt want to accidentally spill any on the floor or myself.
    b) i didnt want it to evaporate (especially for large open surface area)

however, it does raise an interesting idea and i wouldnt mind testing the speed out myself next time with the open dish approach.
    I did take a few camera phone pics so I could remember how to reassemble when I was finished. They were not well lit since I really only planned to use them as a rebuilding reference. Still I do have one ok comparison shot. Some how a few pieces were left on the counter and did not get soaked with the others. Here is a shot of two halves of the same leg.

Sorry the lighting was not better. I wish I had a before picture of Victory Leo's wing center piece. It was not as brown as the Slugslinger on the previous page but I would say it was about halfway there.

I will post better pictures on the finished product when the missing label sheet shows up in a few days.

I thought I saw this mentioned somewhere but couldn't find it in this thread.

I just obtained a Skullgrin recently, and there are little brown spots all over the white plastic. I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but it doesn't look like surface dirt, it looks like spots of the plastic have turned brown. I thought I remembered someone else saying this had happened to one of their pretenders.

So, does H2O2 work on this, or was there another way to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post

I just obtained a Skullgrin recently, and there are little brown spots all over the white plastic. I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but it doesn't look like surface dirt, it looks like spots of the plastic have turned brown. I thought I remembered someone else saying this had happened to one of their pretenders.

I've mentioned it before here:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...820#post166820

Sadly I don't think hydrogen peroxide is a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post

I think that is more to do with fungi remnants on the surface. You can't get rid of it. A similar but worse thing happens to the Monstructor shells.