View Poll Results: MP Ultra Magnus - worth getting?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hells yeah - he is huge and awesome!

57 85.07%
  • Only if cheap

5 7.46%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

3 4.48%
  • He should have stayed in Rodimus' shadow

2 2.99%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

Why is UM's gun purple? The toy is white and I only ever remember it being white in the cartoon. And if it was white it would better blend in when attached in alt mode.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Why is UM's gun purple? The toy is white and I only ever remember it being white in the cartoon. And if it was white it would better blend in when attached in alt mode.
    http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...by_ASCHELL.jpg

I think I read somewhere. but thats why. I am not debating about it. If you ask me personaly, I prefered white black or silver but is based on the cartoon accuracy.

Like has been mentioned, the purple gun is a bit odd. That animation cel Drifand shared is clearly what it's based on but I suspect the animators were trying to make the gun look metallic. It's an art trick, to get certain effects by using colour, rather than an intention to give him a purple gun. The lack of detail in the mould that Lint mentioned is a bit of an issue, and Reprolabels are certain to add a good amount of missing detail, like they did with their MP-10 set. But, as with the MP-10 set, I'm likely to need to shell out a fair bit on money to improve an already expensive toy.

I'm not as concerned about the lack of detail as Lint is, because UM more than makes up for it with his awesome size and genius engineering. It manages to be a solid and gorgeous robot and alt mode*, and the transformation is oh-so-clever - no white Optimus, can entirely transform while cab and trailer are attached while retaining the ability to detatch the cab from the trailer in alt. mode. No way did I imagine the designers would be able to pull that off. Kudos.

The only design flaw I was a bit too disappointed in was some particularly obvious and ugly bits of mould flash, mostly on the front of the firearms and the top of the body around the head. Should be better on a figure that carries the Masterpiece tag.

*The visible "robot thighs" that Lint mentioned are a bit of an issue, but I just imagined someone using this as a selling point for a real car carrier - "It's got visible robot thighs! Cool, hey?"

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

To be frank, if I know nothing about Transformers and I am looking at my display for masterpieces now, Magnus looks to be more like the supreme leader over optimus.

The riffle is again a bit short, but I am used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I just made a collage of about 10 screen shot images of Ultra Magnus from TFTM and the G1 cartoon series showing him holding a lavender rifle... then just as I was about to hit save, my computer crashed. (T-T) Take my word for it (or you can scrawl through TFTM/S3 yourself ), it's purple in the 'toon.

I think if Hasbro USA were to ever release this toy, they should definitely go for a more toy-accurate deco w/ chrome bumper, white gun, lighter blue, shin panels coloured in red etc.

Mind you, I do agree that the purple was meant to simulate grey or silver.
    Sometimes people go over board being toon accurate rather than follow logic.
    Well thats what I actually found out in these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

I think if Hasbro USA were to ever release this toy, they should definitely go for a more toy-accurate deco w/ chrome bumper, white gun, lighter blue, shin panels coloured in red etc.
    I'd be down with that

Well except for the lighter blue

Question is, Hasbro has been toon accurate most of the time, so why would they suddenly do TT's job? Had to ask.

If its anything, this is made Tokyo exclusive and made to G1 Toy colours. As TT does want to have alternate colours to sell anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Mind you, I do agree that the purple was meant to simulate grey or silver.
    oh gawd, please don't make a new FIRRIB-like UMRIWUMRIP (Ultra Magnus' Rifle is white Ultra Magnus' rifle is purple) debate! </cheek>
    Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Question is, Hasbro has been toon accurate most of the time, so why would they suddenly do TT's job? Had to ask.
    Both Hasbro and Takara Tomy switch between different canonical fidelities or even hybridise, depending on the toy. But MP22 is clearly going for toon accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I'd be down with that

Well except for the lighter blue
    example of someone who'd prefer a hybrid between show and toon likeness. what colour would you like the eyes to be? Blue like the cartoon & comics, yellow like the G1 box art, or holed or white like the G1 toy? I'd go for yellow.

Come on, who really likes a purple gun? lol

I didn't make a debate on it, as far as I am concerned, you don't like it because of a purple gun then don't buy it, or just show magnus fight bare hands.

As far as debating, its over, the toy is made, don't think a string of arguements will change TT minds at this point.

It becoming quite obvious and maybe a poll should be made,

Do you want your mp

in toon accuracy

in G1 Toy accuracy

Or compromised best of either, up to the designer not what fans think or toon looked.