Page 419 of 467 FirstFirst ... 399409414415416417418419420421422423424429439 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 4670

Thread: The Computer/Console Gaming Thread

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I'm not at all surprised by it, but why would the Switch eshop think $70 for a year old port of Crash Bandicoot was a fair price? I really wanted it digitally (especially since Switch game cases are the biggest waste of space ever) so I could load it up and play a few levels whenever I wanted, but that is $20 more than I paid for the PS4 version on release.
    $70 is the MSRP for all three versions of Crash Nsane Trilogy from Australian stores. If you found it for less than that was because it's being sold for less than MSRP. The $70 price Activision has chosen to charge in the Switch eShop is just MSRP, it's fair. If you want it for less wait for a sale on the eShop version or buy it at retail where Big W will undoubtedly have it for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    It definitely has style. If you're new to the genre the best way to go would be to purchase it from steam and refund if you don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    It's possibly the peak of the sub-genre. Don't be put off by the inevitable poor ranking the game will give you, figuring out the nuances takes time but it accessible to most skill levels. Also a plus is that the PC version is easily the best.
    Cheers guys.

I just went and bought it, there's a 66% off sale on Steam (until July 6th if people are interested) for it so it's about ~AU$10 atm.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    $70 is the MSRP for all three versions of Crash Nsane Trilogy from Australian stores. If you found it for less than that was because it's being sold for less than MSRP. The $70 price Activision has chosen to charge in the Switch eShop is just MSRP, it's fair. If you want it for less wait for a sale on the eShop version or buy it at retail where Big W will undoubtedly have it for less.
    $50 at jb hifi and I am sure that target and big w will follow suit.

Doesn’t matter that activision or Nintendo set the price, it’s still a ridiculous price that means I’m going to buy a physical copy that requires far more work to make, ship and stock than a purely digital purchase. The greed and shortsightedness of companies thinking it’s okay to overcharge for a game that is already a year old just boggles the mind.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

You seem to have no idea how the business end of this works.

The reason you pay the MSRP on digital stores is because if they sold games for less than brick and mortar retailers the retailers would not only refuse to stock the games but also refuse to stock the consoles. It's basically an uneasy alliance at the moment between retail and the console manufactures and retail has all the power.

I don't know the breakdown for Australian retail, but in the US the breakdown of a $60 game is 30% goes to the retailer, 10% goes to the console manufacture as a licence fee, an unknown amount goes to the manufacture and shipping of the disk and case (controlled by the console manufacture) and the rest goes to the publisher and developer.

When a retailer discounts a game at launch they are cutting into their 30% of the profit. So take Amazon US for example where they used to sell preorders for games to Prime members for 30% off. They were actually selling the game for zero profit to their Prime members basically to help advertise.

If a retailer decides to sell a game for anything below MSRP at launch it is the retailer taking a cut that is lower than the 30% they are entitled to.

You seem to have no idea how the business end of this works.
    I understand fully the business end and the numbers, percentages and reasons.

Doesn’t mean it’s right, smart or logical.

It’s another part of the gaming and retail sections not knowing what they want or, if they do know, knowing how to make a system that works. One day if Australian internet and download speeds become first world we might have no choice but to download games, I’m glad we still have brick and mortar stores to buy games from in most instances.

What bothers me is that activision/Nintendo/Microsoft think $70 for a year old remake game is a fair price.

What bothers me is that activision/Nintendo/Microsoft think $70 for a year old remake game is a fair price.
    So because they are releasing the Switch and Xbox versions now instead of last year you think they should cost less than the PS4 which still cost $70. Yeah whatever.

So because they are releasing the Switch and Xbox versions now instead of last year you think they should cost less than the PS4 which still cost $70. Yeah whatever.
    Except it has been down to $50 or less both in store and the PS4 eshop....

And yes I do think it should be less than $70 for a year old game...

Except it has been down to $50 or less both in store and the PS4 eshop....

And yes I do think it should be less than $70 for a year old game...
    Look at the price, it's $70. https://store.playstation.com/en-au/...ASHNSANETRLOGY

A temporary sale doesn't change the MSRP. The Xbox and Switch versions are coming in at the MSRP, they are not ripping anyone off unless you truly believe that paying exactly what an item is supposed to cost is a rip off.

Not all games drop in price. Fancy a copy of GTA V? It's MSRP is still $100 almost 5 years after it's release. What about a copy of Modern Warfare 3? It's still $50 for an Xbox 360 game. For every company like Ubisoft that drops the price of their games there's other companies like Activision that don't because simply there is no need cause it still sells fine at full or near full price.

Anyway you will soon be renting games, not buying them. EA Access, PlayStation Now and Xbox Game Pass are the tip of the iceberg. In a few years every company will have you subscribe to a service to play a game, ownership will be gone. You can thank Netflix and Spotify for that one.

I took the money I had earmarked for Jurassic World Evolution and applied it instead to a bunch of indie games on Steam, as there is a sale happening

Deep Rock Galactic - Monopolised my weekend. Essentially a cross between Left 4 Dead and caving in Minecraft, but with an aesthetic similarity to Borderlands. Up to four players explore procedurally generated caves searching for minerals. An interesting mix of problem solving and combat.

Terraria - Haven't played this yet, despite my girlfriend's brother's constant badgering.

Invisible Inc - Touted by RPS as the best turn based strategy game ever, the whole thrust of this game is essentially pulling off heists using modern XCOM style turn based mechanics, with a slightly cyberpunk overlay.

Subnautica - An indie darling. A beautiful exploration/crafting game. I didn't give this as much time over the weekend as I should.

Oxygen Not Included - I started the game, saw lots of buttons, decided I didn't have the time to learn it all, and closed it.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Any X Plane 11 and DCS pilots here? Would be nice to play with fellow OTCA members.