Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172232 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Getting back to the board-breaking thing... while I agree with you Tabias - IMO it's effectively a parlour trick that doesn't seem to bear much relevance to fighting application. It's also a waste of trees which impacts on the environment (although they do have reusable plastic boards now, but still a lot of demos I see use still use wooden boards).

But for the sake of discussion, let's look at some possible arguments supporting board breaking:

1/ A method of conditioning. It toughens up your hands cos hitting things like people's skulls with your bare fists really hurts! Japanese martial arts have this thing called "Tameshiwari" and the Chinese call it "Iron Hand" or "Iron Palm" training. However, the traditional form of Iron Hand training does NOT involve breaking objects. It involves striking a hard padded object, such as a Makiwara (padded striking post) or a canvas bag filled with gravel. But in this day and age there are other less archaic methods. I personally own a pair of focus pads which I call "sting pads." The contact surface is intentionally hardened with toughened materials. Well, I don't feel it anymore... Other devices like the Wing Chun Dummy allow for some hardening of the fists, forearms and feet - and again, doesn't involve breaking (although those dummies are prohibitively expensive).

2/ A method of teaching striking technique. One mistake that all beginners make is that they strike at targets rather than through them. Proponents for board breaking might argue that this exercise demonstrates the value of striking through a target. The problem with this argument is that, as debunked by Penn and Teller, the exercise doesn't necessarily require you to strike through the target per se. As long as you're striking at the correct angle to the board and aligned properly with the grain of the wood, breaking the board doesn't take as much force as one might think (as demonstrated in the video by the skeptic's wife and by Teller. From wikipedia:
    "The practice of breaking is controversial within the martial arts community. It is common for public demonstrations to use specially prepared materials that break more easily, without informing their audience of this fact. Thus, the audience is given an impression that the performers are more powerful than they actually are." Penn and Teller also debunked breaking multiple boards at the same time, explaining how once the first board is broken, gravity pretty much does the rest of the work.

3/ Building self-confidence. I once spoke to a practitioner of Kyokushinryu Karate who told me that when he first started as a boy, he was really timid and lacked confidence. When his Sensei told him to break a board, he thought there was no way he could possibly do that. But Sensei snapped at him and insisted that he could do it and told him to believe it. He then went for it, and successfully broke the board. He told me that it felt so good and gave him the most incredible boost of confidence he'd ever felt. He knew it wasn't a practical technique for self-defence... but once he realised that he could break that board, he realised that he could accomplish anything so long as he put his mind to it. It reminded me of The Empire Strikes Back when Yoda told Luke, "Do or do not. There is no try." But having said that, there are obviously other ways to build confidence... like ya know, making your students competent fighters. IMO one of the more uplifting moments in martial arts training is realising that your techniques can work and that you can actually execute them... much like in the famous wax on wax off scene from the original Karate Kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Pfft... next you'll try to convince everyone that E.T. wasn't based on a true story
    I knew eventually I would find proof that ET was based on a true story. It's a biopic of Lady Gaga

HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I was just having a bit of a browse while recovering from a particularly strenuous meeting and found this thread! Very good timing as I've just recently gotten back into my training

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I knew eventually I would find proof that ET was based on a true story. It's a biopic of Lady Gaga

LMAO... the likeness is uncanny
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Can someone explain to me what the hell happened in Green vs Briggs last night? I watched the vid a heap of times and still can' work it out?

Can someone explain to me what the hell happened in Green vs Briggs last night? I watched the vid a heap of times and still can' work it out?
    Briggs has fight induced brain damage - it is a disgrace that he was even allowed to fight!

LMAO Thanks

From a martial arts POV I thought it was perfect. A common saying from Bushido is "one hit one kill," which is the ideal way of fighting (i.e. ending the fight with a single move; remember that Bushido was created in the context of feudal samurai warfare. In the context of modern civilian self defence it can be something as simple as subduing your attacker in a hold or grapple).

This is the difference between sport fighting and actual real fighting. In a sport, fights are prolonged, but real fights end quickly. The objective of a real fighter like a martial artist is not to engage in a sustained fight, but to end a fight as quickly as possible. In reality you're pretty lucky if you can finish your opponent with a single move. Think of Chess... you want to be able to Checkmate your opponent in as few moves as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    Briggs has fight induced brain damage - it is a disgrace that he was even allowed to fight!
    From a sport POV I agree. From a martial arts POV we need to remember that in a real fight there are no equalising conditions like weight or size classes. And as I've often said, martial artists _should_ train with the assumption that your opponent will always be superior to you.

I was appalled by Green's response and the crowd's reaction to Briggs' defeat. IMO there's no honour in trying to further disgrace a defeated opponent... but this just further highlights how sport fighting and non-competitive martial arts are worlds apart.

But the knockout shot wouldn't of hurt a fly. I agree there is honour in disgracing a defeated opponent but their is no honour in taking a dive either.