Page 7 of 152 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    And Bartrim, how can the Tigers get Aussie reps from their side, when like Penrith and the Bunnies, most of their players are from the Pacific Islands and New Zealand???
    True. I guess I still haven't forgiven the selectors for snobbing John Skandalis after a fantastic 2005 season.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

No love for the ever versatile Gidley Splatt?
    haha yeah you could consider him unlucky in my team, you could probably switch either B. Stewart or Slater, probably Stewart..

Should be getting a ticket to the AUS vs ENG world cup match at telstra dome today, i don't get to watch much of the english league so i don't know any of the players, but apparently they have a pretty big forward pack..

Would love to see AUS vs NZ as it would be all NRL players, but unfortunately melb only get AUS vs ENG, should still be a cracker though
    Last edited by jacksplatt11; 8th October 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm thinking of going and watching games from the minnow pool, Tonga vs. Ireland or Scotland vs. Fiji for example. More likely to be close entertaining games!

Fiji and Tonga will both have fairly strong sides mostly full of NRL and Super League Players. I feel for PNG though, those guys have a slightly weaker team than Fiji or Tonga, yet get grouped with the big 3.
    It's almost as if the pools are tiered, France, Scotland and Fiji are the 1st Division sides with Ireland, Tonga and Samoa the 2nd Division sides...

As long as England don't do so well I'll be happy!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I'm thinking of going and watching games from the minnow pool, Tonga vs. Ireland or Scotland vs. Fiji for example. More likely to be close entertaining games!
    True that, unfortunately us Melbourne-ites only get the one match, so it'll have to do, its AUS though so i'm happy.. but i would love to see some of those other matches, practically every team features NRL players, especially the polynesian countries, so any match would be worth it...

Fiji and Tonga will both have fairly strong sides mostly full of NRL and Super League Players. I feel for PNG though, those guys have a slightly weaker team than Fiji or Tonga, yet get grouped with the big 3.
    It's almost as if the pools are tiered, France, Scotland and Fiji are the 1st Division sides with Ireland, Tonga and Samoa the 2nd Division sides...
    From what I've heard, that's exactly right... each group is meant to be the same division kinda thing... otherwise, if AUS were in A, NZ in B and ENG in C, they would pretty much dominate their groups... but by grouping those 3 together with PNG, then the others, there shouldn't be any big blowouts in the group stages and everyone gets a fair go pretty much..

To be honest I think it's a 3 horse race, if you have a look at the group and knockout stage and who goes through, i can't see the final being between anyone except obviously two of AUS, NZ and ENG.. I would love to see an upset though..

As long as England don't do so well I'll be happy!
    haha i have nothing against them, go Aus though

and if anyone at all is interested in the AFL international rules series (i'll watch it, but it doesn't really interest me compared to normal AFL), here is the AUS squad, to be honest it's a waste of time, they shouldn't have brought it back, should bring back AFL state of origin...

Nathan Bock (Adelaide), Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs), Jared Brennan (Brisbane Lions), Campbell Brown (Hawthorn), Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide), Matt Campbell (North Melbourne), Ryan Crowley (Fremantle), Michael Firrito (North Melbourne), Nathan Foley (Richmond), Brent Harvey (North Melbourne), Roger Hayden (Fremantle), Leigh Montagna (St Kilda), Daniel Motlop (Port Adelaide), Marc Murphy (Carlton), Michael Osborne (Hawthorn), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Drew Petrie (North Melbourne), David Rodan (Port Adelaide), Max Rooke (Geelong), Brad Sewell (Hawthorn), Kade Simpson (Carlton), Adam Selwood (West Coast), Dale Thomas (Collingwood), Scott Thompson (Adelaide), Daniel Wells (North Melbourne).

I'm with you entirely. State of Origin with a flair and passion would be awesome. I absolutely love the NSW/QLD rivalry even though its only between two states and I care little for either state. there's a strong atmosphere to it.

It seems though that the AFL are picking more appropriate players these days for the Gaelic hybrid which really is a joke as it doesn't have a place for the talls of AFL.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I'm with you entirely. State of Origin with a flair and passion would be awesome. I absolutely love the NSW/QLD rivalry even though its only between two states and I care little for either state. there's a strong atmosphere to it.
    Yep you're exactly the right, there's nothing else like the atmosphere to the NRL SoO, and I would love it if they could bring that kind of atmosphere to AFL, which I'm sure they could do if they bring proper origin back to AFL, and not just the tribute match they had earlier this year.. I love the fact that I have no allegiance to either NSW or QLD, means I can just watch 3 really great matches and not worry about my team winning or losing

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    It seems though that the AFL are picking more appropriate players these days for the Gaelic hybrid which really is a joke as it doesn't have a place for the talls of AFL.
    Yeah the international rules series is really more suited for the smaller, quicker players, and maybe a few taller ones for goalkeeper and perhaps some other defense.. The thing is though, our players struggle a bit kicking the round ball, which is where the Irish have the advantage, but when it comes to tackling and ferocity at the ball, we just slaughter them.. It's like watching those national geographic videos of the lions running down the deer, they just have no chance haha..

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Aussies will give every other team a shellacking in the upcoming RLWC? I'm not just talking about the minnows the Aussies will play in the early games, but also the Poms & the Kiwis.

Of course the Poms & the Kiwis always seem to find that little bit extra when playing in their own country, but with the Aussie Supporters at full noise - Both the Poms & the Kiwis could be in for a right-royal belting... (& therefore not such a great image for Int. RL )

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Aussies will give every other team a shellacking in the upcoming RLWC? I'm not just talking about the minnows the Aussies will play in the early games, but also the Poms & the Kiwis.
    Australia will only play NZ, ENG and PNG in the stage round, then will play someone like Fiji or France in the quarter finals. But I concur, I cannot see anyone really putting up a great fight to the Aussies. NZ will give it a go, but I think they will struggle to last the full game, the opening 20 minutes should be fantastic though. England are the dark horse, they have the potential to compete, but I haven't paid anywhere near enough attention to Super League to really notice how they have been going.

International Rules is an awesome game/series to watch, it's great to see the Aussies picking a smaller, younger faster team. The series should be extended to 3 games, a decider makes it more fun.

i find sports metaphors extremely useful for making veiled sexual remarks

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    i find sports metaphors extremely useful for making veiled sexual remarks
    Sounds like you'd make a great Football player then Roller!

Loving that Todd Carney and Greg Bird aren't getting away with their idiocy anymore, NSW police seem intent on charging Bird, very hopeful they get him and put him away, means he cant be a thug on the field anymore (now they only have to get Gallen!)