Page 84 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6474798081828384858687888994104 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Today in things I never realised but probably should:

The movie lines have given us a lot of amazing non-movie characters with realistic military plane/helicopter alt modes!

- Incinerator as a V-22 Osprey (vehicle seen in the movie, not as a Transformer)
    - Breakaway/Thrust as an F-35 Lightning II
    - Dirge/Jetblade as a Harrier (ish)
    - Tomahawk as an amalgam of a bunch of different attack helicopters
    - Terradive as a Su-47 Berkut
    - Highbrow as a P-38 Lightning
    - Skyhammer as a Mi-24 Hind (ish)
    - Dreadwing as a Mig-29 Fulcrum
    - Stratosphere as a mish mash of military transport planes (vehicle seen in the movie, not as a Transformer)
    - Air Raid as an AWACS place
    - Hatchet as a Eurofighter Typhoon (character was in DOTM but not transforming into a jet)
    - Mindwipe as an F-117

Quite a lot of quality there.

EDIT: How did I forget Mindwipe?
    This is true. One really good thing about the live action movie toyline is the number of licensed alt modes that it's given us, both with on-screen and non-screen characters. There are a few exceptions like TF1/ROTF Megatron, the Fallen etc., but on the whole we've gotten a whole lot of licensed and other realistic looking alt modes. It really creates the whole "robots in disguise" feel. Other alt mode highlights from Bayformers include:
    * The twins. I really like how their alt modes are just hatchbacks. Not sports cars, muscle cars etc. - i.e. things that draw attention and stick out.
    * Old school Aussie style ice cream truck - again, the twins - I kinda wish that they'd stayed that way. Also a neat nod to the G1 Combiners (not gestalts).
    * Household appliances - e.g. Ejector and various other appliancebots (although Richardbot's phallic robot mode was stupid).

Bumper Robinson (Animated Bumblebee) played Zammiss, the Drac child in 1985's Enemy Mine.

Something that I had noticed, but then forgot about it, and only re-realised again () - IDW Ratchet speaks with a non-American English accent. Not sure which exactly, I'm assuming British. But definitely not North American.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Something that I had noticed, but then forgot about it, and only re-realised again () - IDW Ratchet speaks with a non-American English accent. Not sure which exactly, I'm assuming British. But definitely not North American.
    How do you tell Transformer accents apart in the comics? Apparently it's obvious to some, but for me it's impossible. Some writers like Chris Claremont, Garth Ennis or Alan Moore make it obvious by having characters say words like "ain't", or "Mum" instead of "Mom" (for Brits), or "lad/lass" instead of "boy/girl" (again, also for Brits). But with IDW Transformers, I can't tell who's got which accent. When I read that Getaway was written with a Kiwi accent, I was gobsmacked, thinking; what gave it away?? Did he say "sux" instead of "six", or did he say he was "knackered" (tired)? I haven't read much of MTMTE, but from some of previews/scans I read from, nothing gave it away.

(post contains spoiler tagged profanity)
    IDW Ratchet says arse instead of ass. And I have never met an American or Canadian who's ever used that word, whereas in English speaking countries outside of North America we use the former all the time as an expletive reference to one's buttocks, and the latter in reference to a donkey. We use both words in reference to a foolish person although the former is far harsher than the latter.

Heh, didn't know that about Getaway... or should I say, "Geetaway."

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    (post contains spoiler tagged profanity)
    IDW Ratchet says arse instead of ass. And I have never met an American or Canadian who's ever used that word, whereas in English speaking countries outside of North America we use the former all the time as an expletive reference to one's buttocks, and the latter in reference to a donkey. We use both words in reference to a foolish person although the former is far harsher than the latter.

Heh, didn't know that about Getaway... or should I say, "Geetaway."
    As Getaway would say (after a few shots of nightmare fuel); yeh nah brah, I found out reading huz tee-uff-wiki profile.. Ok, I'll stop before I get called out for political incorrectness.

It's interesting the things you pick up when you read closely. I figured Ratchet would sound formal and educated, but I always imagined him as American-sounding (been watching too much of the original cartoon, lol). A British-sounding Ratchet is an interesting twist

I quite like TF Prime's Ratchet southern American accent with the hypercorrected /hʍ/ pronunciation of "wh." King of the Hill's Hank Hill also speaks with the same accent - hence his pronunciation of "whipped" is "hwipped," and Ratchet pronounces "what" as "hwat" etc. But believe it or not, "wh" was originally pronounced as "hw" in English, but the sound shifted when English rounded its vowels in the 15th Century. e.g. the Old English word for "who" is "hwā." But although the sounds have shifted, we still retain the "h" in 'wh' words as a vestigial remnant of how this phoneme used to be pronounced. The American "hw" trend is still technically a hypercorrection because they still use Modern English vowels. Strangely enough, words like "which," and "what" didn't undergo such notable vowel shifts, only really the shift from 'hw' to 'wh,' so the way that Ratchet says "hwich" and "hwat" is actually more closer to the way that these words were pronounced in Old English!

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Colonies are great for that. Australia and New Zealand are great little time capsules while in many ways US spelling is more pure because it is contemporaneous with the standardisation of English spelling which was a complete farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Colonies are great for that. Australia and New Zealand are great little time capsules while in many ways US spelling is more pure because it is contemporaneous with the standardisation of English spelling which was a complete farce.
    Continued here

My son showed me something new today, TR Headmasters fit perfectly into the scope of Machine Wars Starscream so that it is like a cockpit.

He was also using Legends CW Rodimus in Full-Tilt's spot on G1 Trypticon's chest.

Just shows with a little imagination you can have different generations intermingling