Thread: Frank Welker talks to Collider!

Megatron Guest

Default Frank Welker talks to Collider!

Original source: Frank Welker Talks TRANSFORMERS PRIME, Voicing Megatron Throughout His Career, How the Voice-Acting Industry Has Changed and Working with Peter Cullen

This is a lengthy interview so I'll only cut and paste a few highlights:

Welker:...With Megatron I tried to do something that would sound different than just a big robot or evil sounding dude. I fiddled with the scratchy sound and multiple voices and settled in on the original G1 voice. For “Transformers Prime” I keep the DNA from G1 but move the voice around to make it a little different, plus with the CGI and slower building story line I am able to add subtle strains to the voice giving me a lot more latitude. To hear my version of the ultimate Megatron, I recommend the “Transformers Ride” at Universal…there you have the culmination of G1, Prime, and a booming robust electronic environment.

-What was your reaction to Hugo Weaving’s comments about his voice role in the Transformers films?

Welker: I think he was just being honest, he was not familiar with the franchise and therefore had no affinity for the project. I have respect for Hugo as an actor and really appreciate what he does with his characters. I think if he knew of the fan base and the history of the “Transformers” he might have responded differently.

-Do you think he did justice to the character of Megatron?

Welker: Obviously I have to feel that my incarnation is best because I am competing. I know when I hear a replacement in a project I always miss the original no matter what the project. I think Corey Burton, David Kaye, and Fred Tatashore as well as Hugo Weaving all did interesting versions. Ultimately, however, it’s the fans who will make the final decision on who they see as the true leader of the Decepticons.

My name is Megatron and I approve this message.

Click on the link above to read the full interview. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Megatron; 2nd November 2012 at 10:54 PM.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Frank is the best! Still my #1 Megatron voice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    Frank is the best! Still my #1 Megatron voice!!
    Definitely.

Although when I first heard Frank doing TF:Prime Megatron I thought he was 'influenced' by Hugo's Megatron voice.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Definitely.

Although when I first heard Frank doing TF:Prime Megatron I thought he was 'influenced' by Hugo's Megatron voice.
    Agreed! I think he was directed to, but he's still got that awesoem G1 voice... he's done it a few times recently (as seen on youtube) and he still sounds great!. I was watching TF:TM the other day and that voice (like Prime's and Starscream's) just stays with you. I still can't read a comic and not hear that voice

Megatron Guest

I think Welker does the best Megatron G1 voice, and the best TFPrime Megatron voice... but I also think that Hugo Weaving did the best movieverse Megatron voice, and David Kaye the best Cybertron Megatron voice... and Corey Burton the best Animated Megs... etc. etc.

But as to which "incarnation" of Megatron is the best? It's really getting difficult for me to choose one, because I just think they are all awesome!