Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19293435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Today I soaked some Transformers accessories in an H2O2 bath for the whole day - dawn to dusk. Pretty impressed with the results, especially on Powermaster Optimus Prime's cannons.

Wow! They’re some good results!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Round 2: attempted with some actual toys

Hey Gok, I'd be interested to see if there is any degradation of metallic parts (or the rubber parts for that matter) over the next couple months. Most people seem to shy away from submersing whole figures due to the expected reactions with the Hydrogen peroxide.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Hey Gok, I'd be interested to see if there is any degradation of metallic parts (or the rubber parts for that matter) over the next couple months. Most people seem to shy away from submersing whole figures due to the expected reactions with the Hydrogen peroxide.
    I didn't fully submerse either figure. RiD Ironhide was taken apart and just the arms and chest were submersed. With Searchlight I took him apart too and only submersed the shell -- didn't submerse the wheels or chassis.

These are great comparison pics, I'm very surprised how well the Powermaster Prime cannon has come up. I will definitely be having a go at this. Thanks Gok.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

This thread has been resurrected bigtime! I remember approx 7 years ago when peroxide became common fodder that it was seen by toy collectors as the holy grail of findings....

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

I didn't fully submerse either figure. RiD Ironhide was taken apart and just the arms and chest were submersed. With Searchlight I took him apart too and only submersed the shell -- didn't submerse the wheels or chassis.
    Do they have painted parts on them? I'm curious to try this out on my 1/55 valkyrie but I'm worried it will affect the paint.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Ironhide does have painted decoes and there was some discolouration on them.
    (I also have Car Robot Ox, so RiD Ironhide is a more expendable figure that I used as a guinea pig)

I have bought H2O2 cream to try to use on figures to only apply the H2O2 to select parts, but then the weather in Sydney got gloomy so there haven't been any days with long enough sunlight for me to test it on. Might have to wait till next summer. Any advice on what to do for parts that I don't want brightened but also want to protect from sun damage? Would regular sun block work to protect those parts?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Ironhide does have painted decoes and there was some discolouration on them.
    (I also have Car Robot Ox, so RiD Ironhide is a more expendable figure that I used as a guinea pig)

I have bought H2O2 cream to try to use on figures to only apply the H2O2 to select parts, but then the weather in Sydney got gloomy so there haven't been any days with long enough sunlight for me to test it on. Might have to wait till next summer. Any advice on what to do for parts that I don't want brightened but also want to protect from sun damage? Would regular sun block work to protect those parts?
    a day in the sun shouldn't have a lasting effect on any plastics really. but if you're really worries, perhaps masking those parts is the way to go.

also, I'm not sure if you need direct sunlight for the h2o2 to work, UV happily passes through clouds.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)