Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
I'd say that it's because we don't have any emotional attachment to it because we didn't grow up with it. From a non-Anglophone's POV Chris Latta's high pitched screeching Starscream's voice probably sounds weird. Japanese G1 Starscream has a far more menacing and booming voice. But of course, we all want our Cobra Commander-esque screeching Starscream voice if we ever had a G1 'Screamer toy w/ a voice chip cos that's what we grew up with. It's all about hittin' that childhood nostalgia.
There is that nostalgia thing going on, and I don't deny that.

I also think it's got a lot to do with Japanese media in general and their simplicity with character types. Starscream has a booming voice, as does Desslok from Uchu Senkan Yamato. Its because they are easily identifiable as a bad guy. Personally I much prefer Desslok's slightly whiny English voice as it adds way more character and stops me from immediately assuming him to be a shallow stereotype. Even though he may me.

I'm also glad that someone else noticed they go the fusion cannon sound wrong too. I thought it was just me and I was being snobby. So, thank Sinner!