Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFA Voyager Grimlock???

Default TFA Voyager Grimlock???

I've been thinking for a while, I want to get a grimlock figure, but seems the Masterpiece Grimlock is cancelled for Australia...TFA Voyager would be next best thing...probably not but its most available to me. I want to know is it worth it...I know it may not be brilliant cause its 'animated'. But is it a good figure otherwise...

average if honestly, but I'm quite partial to grimmy so I'm happy with it.

We will get a MP Grimlock release some how, I guarantee it.

Cool ANIMATED IS TEH RULZ!!!

I see you don't have Animated Jazz either...

One thing to consider is whether you want the other Dinobots to go with him. I'm missing Swoop (and need to fix one of Sludge's robot legs, and replacement parts/weapons etc etc) and the G1 Dinos are pretty costly these days. If you do want to get the whole set (& let's face it, like most of us you probably will if you don't already) you're better off with Animated Grimlock and co. on a cost/accessibility basis.

That said, if you're patient, willing to save for a while (hard while 13 I realise), and suitably ingratiating I'm sure someone from here would be happy to split postage with you somewhere down the track for MP Grimmy even if he doesn't get an AU release, a lot of people here seem to be after him and we all get what we can when we can. You've got a whole lifetime to get one, it's not like you have to stop collecting TFs once you 'grow up'...heh.
    I've got a treasured beat-up G1 Grimlock from my childhood and the MP is pretty costly so I'm gonna pass, but he does look pretty sweet IMO.

IMO it's one of the worst Grimlock toys ever made*. For what you're looking for I'd recommend getting Classics/Henkei Grimlock over this toy - much better value for your dollar.

---------------------
    *Only ones worse would be Action Master Grimlock, Energon Grimlock and Pretender Grimlock... I'd say that Animated Grimlock is relatively on par with Pretender Grimlock (comparing them by 2008 and 1989 standards respectively)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    IMO it's one of the worst Grimlock toys ever made*... *Only ones worse would be Action Master Grimlock, Energon Grimlock and Pretender Grimlock...
    Gok - even by this definition, it would make Animated Grimlock only a middling-to-low quality Grimlock toy:

= Presumably good in Goktimus's book - Original mould, Masterpiece, Titanium, Alternators, Beast Wars, Classics mould.

= In-between - Animated Grimlock.

= Worst - Pretender/Legends ("relatively on par"), Action Masters, Energon.

Personally I think Animated Grimlock is not a bad toy per se, just not worth his price point - some of the plastic is flimsy and the sword doesn't really stow away in beast mode. I would say to hold out unless you can get him on sale or second-hand.

So even optimistically speaking it's an ordinary toy. And as you said, for what you'd pay it's not great value for money. And Ironhide63 said that he wants a Grimlock toy, not necessarily an Animated Grimlock toy - but that he doesn't think he can get Masterpiece Grimlock and is looking for an alternative. So in regards to that, I would recommend Classics/Henkei Grimlock over Animated.

All my Grimlocks...

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    That said, if you're patient, willing to save for a while (hard while 13 I realise), and suitably ingratiating I'm sure someone from here would be happy to split postage with you somewhere down the track for MP Grimmy even if he doesn't get an AU release, a lot of people here seem to be after him and we all get what we can when we can. You've got a whole lifetime to get one, it's not like you have to stop collecting TFs once you 'grow up'...heh.
    I've got a treasured beat-up G1 Grimlock from my childhood and the MP is pretty costly so I'm gonna pass, but he does look pretty sweet IMO.
    Yes...I would love MP Grimlock...he is probably one of the best ever made...but also like you said I couldnt afford it...and probably wont for a few more months...idk, seems animated isnt that great...but its pretty much the only one available to me.

I would not recommend classics Grimlock unless it's purely for dinosaur mode. Save up for a g1... I got the g2 blue version for about $30 shipped from england. There are always better options.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    I would not recommend classics Grimlock
    I agree - if you're looking for a representation of Grimlock, that toy is amongst the worst - much worse even than the Animated one. It's a good deluxe toy, just a really bad representation of Grimlock.

Wink Patience grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhide63 View Post
    Yes...I would love MP Grimlock...he is probably one of the best ever made...but also like you said I couldnt afford it...and probably wont for a few more months...idk, seems animated isnt that great...but its pretty much the only one available to me.
    Sounds like you're really not a fan of Animated Grimmy and that makes it a bad purchase, i.e. you'll regret it down the track. $50 is a lot IMO to spend on something you don't really want. Classics is a good secondary option, but the real question to ask yourself is whether the time and sacrifice of saving for an extended period of time would be worth it in the long run.

This news may be of interest btw, it's still pretty costly but it beats ebay prices. That said, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't get an AU release sometime.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 23rd May 2009 at 02:56 PM.