Page 68 of 93 FirstFirst ... 485863646566676869707172737888 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Had my first grading today. As you all know, I've never been a fan of the coloured belt grading system; it's always seemed like a massive WOFTAM to me. But now having experienced a grading first hand, I gotta say...

...sometimes I hate being proven right.

Anyway, I shan't bore you all to death again with yet another rantage about martial arts grades other than it's just all form over function.

-------------------------
    P.S.: if anyone's curious, yes I passed. I think. I was 1.5 marks off a perfect score, so I didn't qualify for a yellow belt but instead got a red little sliver of ribbon tip for my white belt. $40 well spent.

GP, How often does your dojo conduct gradings?

Not entirely sure -- might ask that next lesson. I'm guessing once every couple of months. The frequency itself doesn't bother me so much as the cost. $40 just for the privilege of taking the test - and an additional $10 for the lesson itself. So today I spent $50 on a single Karate lesson. That's only a few dollars less than what I paid for MP Lambor. Wouldn't be so bad if I walked away with some kickass ninja skillz... but instead I walked away feeling more jaded than when I walked in. The only minor consolation is that I saved myself $10 because I didn't qualify for a yellow belt. But honestly, it's a false victory because when I try to go for my yellow belt again, I'll have to spend another freaking $40 for my next grading. GRAAAAARGH!

Whatever... some of the guys I saw who got yellow belts can hardly even stand or punch straight. I've sparred w/ two orange belts (one w/ a green tip) at this school, both times I was able to repeatedly and consistently put them on the floor. At no times were they ever to put me on the floor or even get me off balance. Now that I've graded I hope that they'll let me do more sparring (and hopefully with even higher grades beyond orange belts ).

The teaching methodology at this Dojo seems based on dogmatic rote learning and memorisation rather than higher order thinking and learning (my old Chen Tai Chi school was certainly more geared toward higher order learning). For those who may not know, the modern way of looking at learning objectives is through a classification system called Bloom's Taxonomy, and it works like this...

From lowest to highest order of learning:
    + Knowledge: The ability to remember and recall, but without necessarily fully understanding what it is you've remembered. <---the bulk of the Karate training I've witnessed/experienced so far appears to be happening at this lowest level.
    + Comprehension: Demonstrating understanding of what you have learned. Describing, interpreting, extrapolating etc.
    + Application: Using the acquired knowledge. The ability to solve problems in new situations by applying acquired knowledge in a different ways.
    + Analysis: Breaking information into parts and examining them by making inferences and seeking evidence to support ideas.
    + Evaluation: Making judgments about the validity or quality of techniques based on a set of criteria and internal evidence.
    + Synthesis (Creation): Using creativity and originality to combine information to form something unique/new.

I was curious as to how often they would grade students despite their difference in rank within the same dojo. Do black belts get graded as often as say a white or yellow belt? Is it 3 ribbons/tip on your belt and 3 more $40 gradings before you achieve the next colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I was curious as to how often they would grade students despite their difference in rank within the same dojo. Do black belts get graded as often as say a white or yellow belt?
    I would assume so considering that black belt 1st dan (shodan) = beginner level. So one would have to go for gradings to achieve anything above beginner's level (2nd dan, 3rd dan etc.). Having said that, there are very few black belts. I find Karate schools to be quite "bottom heavy" where white belts far outnumber black belts. I find that schools that don't have gradings are more "top heavy" where the more experienced and senior students outnumber beginners. Bottom heavy schools indicate a higher rate of enrolment but lower rate of student retention (i.e. higher rates of students dropping out before reaching higher levels), whereas top heavy schools reflect the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Is it 3 ribbons/tip on your belt and 3 more $40 gradings before you achieve the next colour?
    Primus I hope not. I'd like to actually stick with this style and hopefully reach black belt some day... but if they're gonna stuff me around with multiple ribbons between belts then that's really gonna test my already highly jaded patience with gradings and belts. :/

Hurt my hand in school sport today. Looks like I'll just have to spar with one hand tonight.

Saw a new guy come to the Dojo last night. He's an ungraded white belt, but he told me that he did Kyokushinkai Karate a long time ago where he was on the "third belt." He's bigger, stronger, faster and has impressively good lightning reflexes! He's also not into being an "over compliant" partner either. i.e. when he grabs you, it's a super tight vice-like grip! I can't wait to spar with this guy!

I hate how our classes run like the school year. I hate having a break for so long. I have already started getting myself ready for my full brown belt grading in September.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Still coming to terms with Anderson Silva losing. Kinda like being told that Santa doesn't exist That being said Weidman did fight smart and Silva was maybe a fraction too arrogant.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

he got tagged.

He'll be hungry for that belt again