Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comic Cartoon Toy rants - expect spoilers and very personal opinions

Scott was hired.

The decision to bring gender to Transformers was Hasbro's, judging by the POTP line I'd say they were very happy with the results and that the reboot will feature female characters of a robotic persuasion and hopefully plenty of unconventional relationships.

It's not an agenda it's the reflection of the world.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Scott was hired.
    Which doesn't absolve that decision from criticism when it's justified.

The decision to bring gender to Transformers was Hasbro's, judging by the POTP line I'd say they were very happy with the results and that the reboot will feature female characters of a robotic persuasion and hopefully plenty of unconventional relationships.
    Provided that Cybertronian xenopbiology and xenopsychology in the reboot are compatible with it as they have been in the Sunbow and Mainframe continuities, I'll be fine with it.

It's not an agenda
    And yet Scott's actions and her attitudes clearly suggest she put her own agendas and politics ahead of universe building. I've already pointed to Scott's tirade against Furman and the way things weren't reconciled properly as evidence of that. If you're contradicting me, then where is your evidence to back that assertion up?

Never mind the fact that the irony is that if she'd stepped back and gotten some perspective, she'd have seen that there didn't have to be a choice.

it's the reflection of the world.
    Whose world - ours or the world of the Transformers? If it's the later, in which continuity?

See here's the thing; you're not being rational. My issue is that the xenobiology of the IDW was incompatible with gender and pair-bonding, yet the writing team not only failed to reconcile this; they were in at least one prominent instance, utterly hostile to the person who created the universe to begin with.

You're engaging in a false equivalency fallacy where because I take umbridge with how things have been handled, I must be hostile to the concepts of gender and pair-bonding in Transformers to begin with. Yet every single comment I have made here shows that fallacy to be not only baseless, but completely disingenuous.

The irony is that off the top of my head, in one response I came up with at a solution to introduce them and have it work as sci-fi within 30 seconds. If my position were what your reaction to it infers it is, then surely I'd be saying why it couldn't work at all, rather than "they should have done it this way instead".

It's an utterly fallacious and irrational position and when taken to its conclusions, is the reason why the last thread was locked.

Here's the thing that really bemuses me about your position. If you're so passionate about these issues being given the portrayal they are, then wouldn't you want that portrayal to be handled as well as possible so that it could be acclaimed rather than panned? Wouldn't you want it done in a way which minimised its exposure to criticisms rather than opened it up to them?