Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer/Printing thread

I don't remember what program it was, but my first introduction to 3D modelling was a simplified program I used to build objects for the Tomb Raider Level Editor program.

It basically just consisted of an interface that allowed you to draw shapes onscreen, then pull the size/shape around by "grabbing" handles.

That's what I'm looking for, a simple program that is just about drawing/modelling and nothing else.

I spent one hour in Blender trying to figure out how to sculpt a 5mm post and never actually figured it out.
    Prior to that, I'd been tinkering around with the program for roughly a year trying to create objects for a Fallout 4 mod and never succeeded.

So given that I just don't understand Blender despite all the time I've invested in learning it, I'm not going to waste any more time that could be dedicated to working with a better program.

I'm also still trying to work out how exactly to relate an object to a real world item.
    My test case is I'm trying to build an external shell device for Sludge and am uncertain how I can sculpt an object to precisely fit around his apatosaurus mode without printing it multiple times to check I got the size and post positions right.

I don't actually have a 3D printer at home, so I'll have to rely on the virtual model until I figure out how to print my test models conveniently.

you can get a fairly cheap set of digital calipers from eBay to measure your interface with. they're not perfect, or of particularly high quality but for small modelling work they are acceptable, certainly compared to the cost of a professional set. then model that up. Once you have that you can assembly your new design to that and check tolerances etc.

unfortunately, even then you're going to probably go through multiple iterations, that is the nature of design and engineering of prototypes.

I can't get over the cost of that lego track on shapeways.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post

I can't get over the cost of that lego track on shapeways.
    It seems to be a comparible price. I think you’re paying for the trial and error and the painfulness of making it fully compatible with the Lego track. It amazes me that Lego have not done Wye points or another double switchover in over a decade. Seems very out of touch to not cater their fan base and leave it to third parties. Even if they charged $50 for a pair of wyes it’d be a good deal.

I’m eyeing off the Wye points and the curved points, if anyone here wants to print a set I’d be happy to give them the $60 instead an overseas company!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

From BrickLink (representing 4DBrix):
    https://store.bricklink.com/4DBrix_E...":"140618930"}

4DBrix website:
    https://www.4dbrix.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
    Thanks, that's one of the sites I was looking at, once postage is factored in, they are the best in terms of price and quality.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    It seems to be a comparible price. I think you’re paying for the trial and error and the painfulness of making it fully compatible with the Lego track. It amazes me that Lego have not done Wye points or another double switchover in over a decade. Seems very out of touch to not cater their fan base and leave it to third parties. Even if they charged $50 for a pair of wyes it’d be a good deal.

I’m eyeing off the Wye points and the curved points, if anyone here wants to print a set I’d be happy to give them the $60 instead an overseas company!
    I can’t believe there’s no official option for a powered switch track. Even if I want to go for a third party, there’s only wired options available that I’ve found. I’m hopeful with the new Powered Up controller being bluetoooth that they can sort something out.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
    I don't remember what program it was, but my first introduction to 3D modelling was a simplified program I used to build objects for the Tomb Raider Level Editor program.

It basically just consisted of an interface that allowed you to draw shapes onscreen, then pull the size/shape around by "grabbing" handles.

That's what I'm looking for, a simple program that is just about drawing/modelling and nothing else.

I spent one hour in Blender trying to figure out how to sculpt a 5mm post and never actually figured it out.
    Prior to that, I'd been tinkering around with the program for roughly a year trying to create objects for a Fallout 4 mod and never succeeded.

So given that I just don't understand Blender despite all the time I've invested in learning it, I'm not going to waste any more time that could be dedicated to working with a better program.

I'm also still trying to work out how exactly to relate an object to a real world item.
    My test case is I'm trying to build an external shell device for Sludge and am uncertain how I can sculpt an object to precisely fit around his apatosaurus mode without printing it multiple times to check I got the size and post positions right.

I don't actually have a 3D printer at home, so I'll have to rely on the virtual model until I figure out how to print my test models conveniently.
    You could try looking at Fusion 360, Sketchup and TinkerCAD. Those are the ones I see recommended for getting you feet wet if you're interested in creating 3D models for printing.

There is also Solidworks, which is a high end CAD software, but it had a free one year trial period a few months ago, not sure if it's still available.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Question

I am curious, how does a Shapeways distribution/printing centre work?

Whenever I order from them, it always comes from somewhere in America.
    Which got me wondering, for ease of distribution, could they build their printing facilities in every country to get their products to the customer faster with cheaper mailing options?

Since the objects are digital until printed, they could send the printing task to anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    There is also Solidworks, which is a high end CAD software, but it had a free one year trial period a few months ago, not sure if it's still available.
    This is very interesting, and exciting, I really need to get my computer built so I can do some work using this.
    it looks like it's online through a browser which is a bit of a pain but very well worth exploring.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I had a play with Solidworks a while back. It's pretty powerful with a learning curve to match. I believe it's the industry standard for product design and engineering.