Thread: Studio Series Sentinel Prime - paint upgrade

Default Studio Series Sentinel Prime - paint upgrade

Originally, I only intended to add some red in the chest window section where the ring was. But then I noticed all the detail in the mold, used some screen captures and Primeone Studio statue images as reference points and went a bit nuts. There's still so many more areas that could use some paint, but I didn't want to overdo it.

Might try using acrylics next time, enamels are a bit too thick and take ages to dry.

You thinned the paint didn't you?

No, I think that's where I'm going wrong. But I'm using about 3 different brands of enamel, not sure if that makes a difference to what thinner to use. Happy for any tips.

Personally I use acrylic but that's just down to preference and acrylics need thinning too. The paint goes on better when thinned and applied in thin, multiple coats. What brands did you use? One of them should have a thinner that's a great all rounder that can be used on different brands.

BTW what you have done looks good, it really only matters what you think of your job and if you think you can do better then more power to you

I'm always happy to get tips to improve. I would like the finish to have been smoother, and as you've mentioned, thinning it down would help with that. Also with the rubbing where there are tight clearances. I used Testors, Tamiya and Humbrol. Some of the colours were quite old so probably way too thick.

I've been wanting to try acrylics for some time now, next paint job will start fresh and definitely thin down the paint.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I used to use enamels when I was a kid. always thinned with Turps.

I haven't done a lot in the last few decades but I've definitely taken a shine to acrylics, and gundam markers for small detailed stuff.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

When you start with acrylic I personally recommend Vallejo but there's also MIG ammo. Both good quality acrylic brands.

Gundam markers, great idea!

A friend of mine who paints miniatures has also recommended Vallejo. Will definitely be trying that out.