Thread: Should I recycle all my TF boxes?

Default Should I recycle all my TF boxes?

Currently, I have a massive storage container full of what is flattened Transformers boxes (Japanese CHUG and MP mostly). I have even more laying on top of bookshelves. I have been keeping them because they look cool and they go with the toys in my display. But honestly I never actually look at them and being almost entirely from the last 12 years I doubt they are valuable. Should I just recycle them?

I got rid of everything after G1 a few years ago and it has been a good move. No longer feel the need to keep new packaging unless I’m very doubtful about the figure and think I might sell it.

I kept one deluxe card from each year/toyline as a memento and it takes up one magazine file.

I dispose of (recycle) most of my boxes and cardbacks. However I 'clip and save' any tech-specs or equivalent (have done since 1985). I also keep packaging in the following instances:

- Toys I have purchased but am still deciding if I want them or would rather give them to a friend stay unopened.

- Big toys like citadels or gestalt sets are too big to fit in my storage draws so stay in-box while not on display. Packaging also enhances how impressive these toys can be.

- Sometimes a particularly nifty or interesting box is preserved. I also recently decided to keep a sample of packaging for each size class.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I kept one deluxe card from each year/toyline as a memento and it takes up one magazine file.

That's a really good idea. Wish I had done that for every year I've been collecting.

To answer DELTAprime's question, I throw out most packaging except for MPs or rare/exclusive figures.
    Last edited by Tha_Phantom; 23rd July 2019 at 01:23 PM.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I chuck all packaging away... been collecting for quite a while and it no longer was sensible for me to keep the boxes for everything as I was running out of room.
    Even the instruction sheets, I throw away... everything is available online these days.
    Boxes I only keep for select stuff I want kept sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    That's a really good idea. Wish I had done that for every year I've been collecting.
    It creates a nice time capsule but it has been a bit off the rails with TLK, Studio Series and Siege putting deluxes into boxes though!

I gave mine away, started a thread in the selling forum and somebody wanted them and came and picked them up. maybe try that?

Well, I've put everything except stuff from G1 (vintage) and MP lines in the recycling. It freed up so much room. I'm happy I did it. Feels good to have room.