Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroic's Toy Shop Guide Maps for HK, Osaka, Tokyo & SG

Thanks for the reply guys. I only collect vintage so that's what I'll be on the hunt for. I'll check out all the places. I've booked the Washington hotel in akihabara , was about $100 per night - not too bad. Would love to try to check out some flea market/ fairs to find vintage stuff.

Should be a fun holiday anyways.

In that case you won't find any of that stuff in regular stores - you'll have to stick to specialty stores. Old toys are damn expensive though. Mandarake is pricey, but I like how they're very open/transparent with the nature of the toys that they sell - like if the toy is a fake or if it's been opened before or if it's missing any anything that you can't see etc. I really admire the honest aspect of their policy that allows consumers to make fully informed choices. I don't really collect vintage, so my knowledge of such stores is very limited -- but if you ever get the chance to go to Osaka there are lots of collectable stores in Den Den Town there, including Hero Gangu which is like one of the rare places in Japan where you can actually haggle. At the fan meet I attended there we managed to haggle 17% off our total purchases (since we were collectively all buying a lot of stuff in a single hit).

Will you be meeting up with any other collectors in Tokyo? froggy124 lives in Chiba and works at Akihabara... maybe shoot him a PM? (just a suggestion) Either way, I hope you have a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
    Meals can be done really cheaply if you don't feel the need to splash out. Convenience store sushi and onigiri is better than most sit down sushi joints in Australia, and the bento they sell are delicious too! Ramen can be had at some places for as little as 300yen, and udon/curry places do sets for 500-600yen!!
    Food is so good in Japan. I have NEVER come across any sushi in Australia that can compare. I find that incredibly depressing. Onigiri is the greatest! Umeboshi FTW.

Most probably heading to Hong Kong in June so hopefully I'll find these places, Do they sell Microman?

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    Most probably heading to Hong Kong in June so hopefully I'll find these places, Do they sell Microman?
    Microman is few and far between over here....

Hi hd did you notice the opening hours for Mandarake when you were there?
    Hunting:
    Beast Wars/Machines/Neo/Second

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    http://mandarake.co.jp/information/customary/sitemap/
    Most of them open from 12:00 to 20:00.

Don't forget, if you're in Osaka, you can haggle with the manager at Hero Gangu! (if you can speak Japanese or have a Japanese speaker w/ you)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    Gok is right on the money.

For the Sapporo Store, its 10.30 to 20.00, weird I know. But the Tokyo ones are all 12.00 to 20.00.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    http://mandarake.co.jp/information/customary/sitemap/
    Most of them open from 12:00 to 20:00.

Don't forget, if you're in Osaka, you can haggle with the manager at Hero Gangu! (if you can speak Japanese or have a Japanese speaker w/ you)
    I've been haggling in English for the past years. And been getting freebies from him too. He now automatically gives me discounts as well... heh.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    I've been haggling in English for the past years. And been getting freebies from him too. He now automatically gives me discounts as well... heh.
    Hah... there ya go. I never tried speaking to the staff in English. I'm by no means a regular customer so I had to do the haggling. Still... I managed to score 17% of my purchases. I'm a crap haggler btw.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hah... there ya go. I never tried speaking to the staff in English. I'm by no means a regular customer so I had to do the haggling. Still... I managed to score 17% of my purchases. I'm a crap haggler btw.
    you should see my wife. Goes for the throat right-away. And then the shock on their faces. And she always ends up making it sound funny and they both end up laughing and she'll get her discount.... and this is for toys.