• Only if cheap

2 28.57%
  • Only if (something else)

1 14.29%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • Not even interested

1 14.29%

Thread: Toy Review - Robots In Disguise Ratchet (Warrior)

Default Toy Review - Robots In Disguise Ratchet (Warrior)

RATCHET
    Series – Robots In Disguise / Adventure (TAV59)
    Size/class - Warrior (Deluxe)
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Warrior Class Strongarm
    Wave - 8
    Released here – ???
    Approximate Retail Price - 2500JPY (AU$30)
    Approximate Size - 10cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Camper van
    Main Features/Gimmicks – scannable logo
    Main Colours – red, white, black
    Main Accessories – 2 guns

PICS

Vehicle Mode

Robot Mode

Comparison with Warrior Class Strongarm

Comparison with TFPRiD Ratchet

PROS
    + It is a reasonably extensive redeco of Strongarm. The head, chest panel, vehicle canopy and lower legs are all new and even lending differences in transformation from Strongarm's transformation.
    + The new head is a really nice sculpt and evokes the Ratchet character well, as does the new chest plate.
    + TakaraTOMY have fixed the loose inner shoulder joints which plagues Strongarm (even the re-released Strongarm figure currently in stores has inherited the same problem, indicating that Hasbro never bothered to fix it). Not sure if Hasbro's Ratchet has addressed this issue.
    + The guns are able to be stowed away in both robot and vehicle modes.

CONS
    - As much as this is a nice redeco of Strongarm, it is still a redeco of Strongarm who is already a rather uninspiring mould. TakTOM have done well with what is an inherently mediocre mould that's really not worth paying full RRP for. I'm got mine on sale for 2000JPY (AU$24).
    - Where are the colours? This toy desperately needs more reds and other colours to break up all that white.

Other thought: the alt mode
    This isn't a pro or con as it's entirely subjective, but the vehicle mode is NOT an ambulance or any other kind of emergency vehicle. Aside from the complete absence of any emergency vehicle markings, it also has no strobe lights on the roof (which Strongarm does have). As such, Ratchet's vehicle mode can only be described as a "camper van", much like say Trailbreaker. This is a minus to me because I have G1 bias, and to me, Ratchet should be an ambulance or at least some form of emergency vehicle. But I recognise that this is purely my own bias as a person who grew up with G1. For a person who doesn't have this predisposed bias then perhaps it won't matter to you. And objectively speaking, there is no reason why Ratchet has to be an emergency vehicle. Bumblebee isn't a hatchback, Fixit isn't an ambulance, Steeljaw isn't a cassette tape, Clampdown isn't a police sports car, Fracture isn't a racing car etc. - but still, part of me still finds it hard to get over him not being an ambulance, especially when he was already an ambulance in Transformers Prime. Eh...

OVERALL

Most of the flaws of this toy are carried over from the Warrior Class Strongarm mould. Lack of colours aside, I do think that HasTak have done a reasonably good job working with what was already a lacklustre mould. I do appreciate that they've fixed the shoulder issue which was one of the greatest weaknesses on Strongarm IMO. Recommended only if cheap.

I think Ratchet looks great in robot mode, but the vehicle mode looks as bland as a happy meal toy so I can't bring myself to buy this.

If it comes out here (lol) then I'd love to pick him up, but not worth the price of importing

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I was recently poking around Reprolables and their kit for him is a big improvement. I am still not getting either.

I'm sure it would be, but then how much money would you have to spend on top of what you've already paid for the toy? I managed to get this toy on sale while overseas, but even then I don't want to splash out any extra dosh on reprolabels. It's just pretty lazy paint ops.

I had forgotten how much I disliked the Strongarm mold.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I wasn't quick enough to get this toy from BBTS or HLJ before preorders for the versions from both companies sold out

I kinda want him as I'm a G1-characters-portrayed-in-other-continuities completionist but it really is a bland alt-mode so this may be a figure I just try to keep an eye out for rather than actively hunt down.

TAV Ratchet is hard to find in Japan atm. I stumbled across mine by fluke while MP shopping in Tokyo and I was fortunate that it was marked down to 2000JPY as I would've passed it at full RRP (as I did with Bisk which I found in 3 different stores but always at full retail). A mate of mine wants TAV Ratchet too and I kept my eye out for any more but alas never found another. So as bland as it is, this toy certainly seems to have sold well, whereas TAV Scorponok, a toy that I picked up in my previous trip to Japan back in late Sept/Oct, is still pegwarming.

I still find it remarkable that TAV Ratchet has managed to be even blander than TFPRiD Ratchet, as TFPRID Ratchet is already a pretty bland toy in its own right. Back in 2012 we were making comments like:
    [/quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    My Main concerns are general Prime concerns; small size, lack of paints, NO INSIGNIA!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    (Ratchet's) vehicle mode is not as nice, and I can understand the complaints about paint apps in that mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I see what people are saying about the paint apps on the back
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, this toy desperately needs more colours (especially reds) to break the white up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    As for the ambulance mode, not a giant fan. But I compare that to my likes with the robot mode, which is just far greater.
    ^And I completely agree with those sentiments. PRiD Ratchet is a poorly painted toy in vehicle mode, but at least the robot mode has decent colours (aside from the lack of a logo). In TAV Ratchet's defence, at least he does have an Autobot insignia (even if it's because it's a recurring gimmick in this line), and the paint ops in the robot mode is no better or worse than TFPRiD Ratchet. But when comparing ambulance modes we can see that, as bad as TFPRiD Ratchet's lazy paint ops were, TAV Ratchet is even worse. And apparently TakaraTOMY's TAV Ratchet has more paint ops than Hasbro's RiD Ratchet!