View Poll Results: RID Soundwave - worth getting?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • This toy superior - operation: acquire!

5 71.43%
  • Only if cheap

1 14.29%
  • Will wait for the version with Laserbeak

0 0%
  • Na

1 14.29%
  • This toy inferior - operation: destruction!

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - RID Combiner Force Warrior Soundwave

Default Toy Review - RID Combiner Force Warrior Soundwave

Soundwave
    Series – RID
    Subline – Combiner Force
    Size/class - Deluxe
    Wave - 2
    Released here – Not yet
    Approximate Retail Price – Prob $29
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Cybertronian Hummer
    Main Colours – Blue, Grey, Red
    Main Accessories – Cannon

Robot Mode

Like Blurr being an amalgamation of RB and Generations Blurr figures, this Soundwave seems to be an amalgamation of the TFPrime and Fall of Cybertron Soundwave toys. The head sculpt is most definitely a carry over from TFPRime (the precursor cartoon to the current RID series) and the proportions are very in line with most of the other RID figures. However with the added shoulder cannon, distinctive chest and bulkier limbs he is certainly as shout out to the Soundwave figures of old and looks pretty tough and impressive. The shoulder cannon can be removed to be used as a handgun.

Vehicle Mode

This is where the toy really calls out to the Fall of Cybertron figure. Ruby translucent wheels along with a roof cannon and a bulky blue Cybertronian-armored car is the flavor here and the flavor is good! He has a more distinctive cockpit which is a definite plus, but the peg that holds the roof cannon in is way too long, it makes it look ungainly sitting on top. This peg flaw is made up for somewhat by the fact that the cannon can not only be swiveled 360 degrees but also be tilted up and down.

Transformation
    Very straight forward - no surprises here

Overall
    Not a bad Soundwave and combines his facial look from Prime with his vehicle look from FOC well. However there is an Activators version on the horizon that will come with Laserbeak so it may be worth waiting for that one.

I picked him up today. Very TF:Prime vibe, and great light piping with the head. Apparently there's a variant/running change. And now I have to buy the activator to get Lazerbeak!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Special thanks to The Scream Man for lending me his Soundwave toy.

A stylistic blend of Animated, War For/Fall of Cybertron and TF Prime Soundwave. The colours work pretty well on this toy and the metallic blue on the waist, shins and weapon are nice. The only part of the colour scheme that bugs me are the transparent red wheels, they look tacky although they are a nod to FoC Soundblaster. But still silly looking. The face is interesting as it actually has a visor and mouthplate sculpted on it, but the entire face is transparent red. The toy's card art shows off the face design better as the mouthguard is coloured grey, but on the toy it's all transparent red. This appears to have been done as a homage to TFP Soundwave whose face is all featureless and monotone, but with a sculpted homage to the traditional Soundwave face. It's kind of a shame that the sculpting is lost in sea of glowing red though. It'll be interesting to see if Hasbro redecos this, say as RiD Soundblaster, with the mouthguard painted. The weapon also has the "gatling gun" barrels sculpted on the end of it like G1 Soundwave's shoulder weapon. The weapon also has a swivel joint on the handle which allows for the it to elevate as a shoulder-mounted launcher.

This Soundwave's body proportion is a hulking mass, similar to DotM Soundwave's screen model. He looks more like a heavy hitter and very different from the lithe figure we saw in Prime (who fought with guile over brawn). But greater amount of bulk allows this toy to have a greater range of overall motion and stability (although TF Prime Soundwave is still quite good in its own right).

The transformation has some interesting elements, particularly with the waist. But the vehicle mode is disappointing, especially with the open rear section with exposed hands and legs.

They couldn't even make the hands fold in? The vehicle mode is pretty much a hybrid between Animated Soundwave's civilian van with elements from WFC/FOC Soundwave (no killer bull bar though).

Overall... not entirely convinced by this toy, especially when compared with his other Aligned Deluxe Class counterparts. WFC Deluxe Soundwave pulls off basically the same concept a whole lot better, and both WFC and TFP Soundwave had more detailed sculpting and paint ops. And WFC Soundwave had the chest-opening weapon-storage gimmick, whereas TFP Soundwave had the Laserbeak Breast Force gimmick. RiD Soundwave's chest does ... wait for it ... absolutely nothing. Animated Soundwave's chest didn't do anything, but he did come with Laserbeak who transformed into a sweet guitar.

This toy just feels like it's offering a whole lot less for the same Deluxe price point. I managed to pick this figure up for The Scream Man at Big W for $20, which is an alright price to pay for this toy if you really wanna get it, but I can't justify paying a dollar over that. There's nothing inherently wrong with this toy, but I don't think it's fantastic either. The main advantage that this toy has over its TFP forerunner is that it comes with a Decepticon logo sticker (it really bugged me that some of the TFPRiD figures were logo-less).

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    And now I have to buy the activator to get Lazerbeak!
    Is Hasbro seriously called Laserbeak that?!? I get that Hasbro used "Lazorbeak" during BW because of trademark issues, but we know that Hasbro holds the trademark for "Laserbeak" now (I still can't believe that Hasbro went and called a toy Lazerback too ). Or don't tell me that they somehow managed to lose the rights to the name "Laserbeak" ...

Also paid $20 for this one. I find it more catchy to describe his alt. mode as a Cybertronian Hummer than an armored car. Also it's funny how his gun comes across like a hair dryer.