View Poll Results: First Edition Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 8.11%
  • Only if...

5 13.51%
  • Not worth it

8 21.62%
  • Not even interested

21 56.76%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - First Edition TF4 Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - First Edition TF4 Optimus Prime

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

Series - none (TF4 movie)
    Sub-line - First Edition
    Size/class - ??? Ultimate
    Wave - n/a
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - March 2014 (globally February 2014)
    Approximate Retail Price - $130? (US$60 in America = AU$68)
    Approximate Size - 27cm (robot), 28cm (truck without shield)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Western Star Truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Sword of Judgement, Sentinel Shield, changes in 15 steps.
    Main Colours - blue, red, silver, grey
    Main Accessories - Sword, Shield.

(official images to come)

In box (it came in a tight fitting shipping box that had to be from Hasbro, but had no product name or company printed on it)

Robot mode (with some recent exclusives)

Instructions

Colour instructions are nice, a bit like early Gen1 instructions. Don't be fooled by the labelling of it as a shell-former, as the transformation isn't a
    complete walk in the park. It is NOT a "challenge" type Transformer, but there is still a little bit of creative engineering involved in the design. A
    commendable effort when you consider that the back when the designers started on this figure, they would only have had photos of the truck mode
    and some early concept CGI for the robot mode (as such, most of the truck shell folds up onto the back and only a little is incorporated into the robot body - the legs).
    The shiny parts and rubber wheels, plus the big bulky toy in both modes and decent articulation, makes for something I consider is above average
    for the fairly high price point... but is likely to be below average for those who don't collect Transformers toys to play with (who value more the
    engineering and displayability of the figures).

The mid-section, showing how the backpack is part of the robot waist, so isn't removable. You can also see from this photo, that only the lower legs
    of the robot mode forms any part of the truck (shell).

In vehicle mode, with Ultimate BH Optimus, DLX FOC Optimus, Green BAPE Optimus, MP YOTH Optimus, Rescue Bots Trailer Optimus.

Instead of rub-signs to prove authenticity, or a holographic sticker... we get a logo on the packaging, which anyone could put on KOs quite easily.
    Also, this notes a Transformers App - is that something that's been out already, or something new?
    Last edited by griffin; 11th February 2014 at 03:10 PM.

To be honest I've been in two minds about this figure. On the one hand I've gotten the leader-class Prime from the last 3 movies so would be good to continue the trend. And a lot of people have been talking about how cheap he is to get online at the moment. On the other hand I really don't like his look in either mode, so I think I'm going to break precedent and wait and see if a better looking Voyager version of TF4 Prime gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    so I think I'm going to break precedent and wait and see if a better looking Voyager version of TF4 Prime gets released.
    Exactly my thoughts.

The best version of the Prime from the first 3 movies came out in the second one, so I won't be russing out for this. it's certainly interesting to see the different approach and wow, Rubber Tyres!
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

It's hard rubber though... almost as hard as plastic. I wouldn't have even realised it if I hadn't have read about it on one of the fansites.

Pfft. Increasing the transformation steps from 13 to 15 with the addition of the weapons.

While i find the robot mode quite sad, that alt mode is great

Alt mode looks pretty good. Robot is a bit mishy mashy with all the blank areas and chrome bits. A bit hard to make out.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Did anyone else order one? At US$60 plus shipping, it's cheaper than it will be here (apparently $130), and cheaper than BBTS (US$80) even with shipping.

At least there looks to be plenty of stock... or the fandom is avoiding it.

It might not be the best toy, but is the price (about AU$80) of what the BH Ultimates were here, and with similar complexity. (it is certainly not worth $130 - if you think you might buy it when it gets here, save a lot of dollars and import it)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Did anyone else order one? At US$60 plus shipping, it's cheaper than it will be here (apparently $130), and cheaper than BBTS (US$80) even with shipping.

At least there looks to be plenty of stock... or the fandom is avoiding it.

It might not be the best toy, but is the price (about AU$80) of what the BH Ultimates were here, and with similar complexity. (it is certainly not worth $130 - if you think you might buy it when it gets here, save a lot of dollars and import it)
    Got mine today
    Recent Additions:
    Robosen Auto Converting Optimus Prime
    Incoming:
    Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

Not a fan of the making them more simplistic approach that Hasbro is taking this year to the Transformers line (although their reasoning/explantion is reasonable/understandable). I really don't like the molded chest on this figure and if the majority of the TF4 toys are going to be like this then I guess I'll be saving a bucket load of cash this year cause I wont be buying them ...well definitely not at full retail atleast