View Poll Results: TR Voyager Megatron - worth buying?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 45.83%
  • Only if...

2 8.33%
  • I'll wait for the inevitable Blitzwing version

7 29.17%
  • Not worth it.

1 4.17%
  • Not even interested in this.

3 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Megatron with Doomshot

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Megatron with Doomshot

BLITZW... er MEGATRON and his head who is named DOOMSHOT
    Series – Titans Return
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 3
    Released here – January 2017
    Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size - Ive told you before I don't own a ruler. Its approximately a voyager sized voyager figure.
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Tank AND Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Oh happy days its a triple changing head master
    Main Colours – two tones of grey, red and black.
    Main Accessories – two cannon pieces, and his head.

Capsules!

The Alt Modes actually work! - So I've felt that most of the voyager releases in this line have been a bit slapdash, with at least one alt mode feeling entirely tacked on. Not the case here at all, thankfully. Yes, the jet is fat, but it works because the only bit that's really actually just hanging off the bottom of the jet is the tank turret, which is actally a cool look (if you care nothing for aerodynamics). Tank mode ends up looking like it hews a bit to the cybertronian, but is again perfectly acceptable in the context. Neither mode is particularly compromised or token.
    Its a plane! - this looks pretty dead on to Blitzwings su25 mode. Theres quite a large wingspan in play here, which helps the folded up tank treads hiding under the wings. Weapon attachment here hews to the inelegant (how else to describe to giant F off cannons stuck underneaththe belly of a fighter jet?), but its excusable given the amount this figure has to do especially when you consider that one of those things is "be Megatron", a robot notable for carrying a giant inelegant cannon.
    Its a tank! - solid effort. The low profile turret and your choice or tiny barrel/giant murder cannon have this feeling slightly cybertronian.
    The stickers and paint rant- this figure has a lot of stickers, and not a lot of paint. Seriously, as far as I can remember there are literally three paint apps on the whole figure - eyes for the head, yellow and red on abs, and black on cannon. This doesn't really fuss me as much as it should because this figure looks like an easy candidate for panel lining.
    Transformation is effective and has a strong theme - transformation for all modes more or less involves rearranging everything around the central mass of the chest of the robot. Theres a lot going on but its all technically so straightforward and everything locks into place well.
    Robot mode looks proportionally a bit weird in an entirely excusable way - I think maybe the crotch is too long? Either that or the legs look a bit small.
    No kibble, no problem - Im seriously impressed at how kibble free this robot mode is. Theres a tank turret and pair of folded up wings on the back. Really that's it in terms of dangling kibble. The rest is all very well integrated.
    All Hail Megatron - This has all the standard TR poseability less wrist swivels. No ankle tilts either but they're uncommon these days. The two guns can combine into a reasonable fusion cannon facsimile. Everything on mine is tight enough though the legs could stand to be a bit more so. The only thing I really worry about long term aside from the stickers are the wings- they're multi segmented and rely on friction alone to stayin place.

All up this will make a fine Blitzwing. As it stands it also makes a fairly excellent Megatron.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

(added poll... with a creative option added, since it seems like an obvious upcoming toy)

Yeah, I'll wait for the Blitzwing redeco. I skipped TR Astrotrain as I feel that it doesn't surpass my Henkei Astrotrain (which I know isn't the perfect toy, but I'm happy enough with it, plus I do have the TR Astrotrain mould in the form of Sentinel Prime), and I'll be skipping TR Tall Tankor for the same reason - but Generations Blitzwing's shoulders just drive me nuts so I am rather tempted to get this toy when it's redecoed as Blitzwing. Happy to hear that it's a solid mould though.

And while I'm personally not interested in getting what I perceive as 'superfluous' redecos like this Megatron and the Triple Changer Optimus Prime, I do completely agree with Hasbro releasing them ahead of the "real" characters intended for these moulds. It's a really clever move for Hasbro. I just hope that the "real" characters do end up being mass released and being easy enough to find - and especially being released here. Because we initially saw Hasbro doing this in Combiner Wars with toys like Alpha Bravo, Off Road and Rook, who replaced Slingshot, Wildrider and Groove (Deluxe) respectively. Those figures were eventually released but we all know what the distribution was like.

Still... considering that I do already own Generations Blitzwing I'm not going to be devastated if I miss out on the Blitzwing redeco. It'd be nice to have and if I find it locally I'll grab it straight away, but I'm not gonna bother with preordering it, especially if it's going to be a crazy scramble like it was for those CW characters.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, I'll wait for the Blitzwing redeco. I skipped TR Astrotrain as I feel that it doesn't surpass my Henkei Astrotrain (which I know isn't the perfect toy, but I'm happy enough with it, plus I do have the TR Astrotrain mould in the form of Sentinel Prime), and I'll be skipping TR Tall Tankor for the same reason - but Generations Blitzwing's shoulders just drive me nuts so I am rather tempted to get this toy when it's redecoed as Blitzwing. Happy to hear that it's a solid mould though.

And while I'm personally not interested in getting what I perceive as 'superfluous' redecos like this Megatron and the Triple Changer Optimus Prime, I do completely agree with Hasbro releasing them ahead of the "real" characters intended for these moulds. It's a really clever move for Hasbro. I just hope that the "real" characters do end up being mass released and being easy enough to find - and especially being released here. Because we initially saw Hasbro doing this in Combiner Wars with toys like Alpha Bravo, Off Road and Rook, who replaced Slingshot, Wildrider and Groove (Deluxe) respectively. Those figures were eventually released but we all know what the distribution was like.

Still... considering that I do already own Generations Blitzwing I'm not going to be devastated if I miss out on the Blitzwing redeco. It'd be nice to have and if I find it locally I'll grab it straight away, but I'm not gonna bother with preordering it, especially if it's going to be a crazy scramble like it was for those CW characters.
    Mm, Octane in particular needs the release, he's the last deluxe Triple standing now...

TR Triple Changer Optimus Prime is screaming Octane. Hasbro would be crazy not to redeco that toy, but again, hope that distribution of said redeco will make the toy easily accessible.

What are the stickers like? Early reviews of the first batch showed many stickers already peeling.... I held off ordering any in case it was QC issues across the board
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

The nose sticker is much better than the early samples, hasn't lifted in the slightest.

The wings are beginning to peel a little bit but nothing too alarming.

Chest seems fine.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I've played with this Megatron enough to comment:

1. The tank mode is awesome as long as the mega cannon is attached (this tank doesn't look good with it's little "Sherman" cannon). Another point from a playability perspective is that all four wheels make contact with the ground and actually move due to sufficient clearance (hurdles that the tank toys usually fail to overcome more so than the cars).

2. The jet mode is also impressive despite it's undercarriage kibble and is the reason I bought this toy because it's the first time I've seen Megatron turn into a jet instead of a space ship ( it's as if he's throwing down the gauntlet to a certain overambitious Seeker that wishes to depose him).

3.The robot mode is of course the best. Especially with the wings folded out and the fins folded out on his ankles to give more stability and more poseability.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    the reason I bought this toy because it's the first time I've seen Megatron turn into a jet instead of a space ship
    *clears.throat*

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    And thanks to Goktimus, I've now seen Megatron turn into a jet for a second time.