Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy of the Year, 2008

Default Toy of the Year, 2008

My humble picks:

01 - NECA - TMNT
    02 - HASBRO - Big Millenium Falcon
    03 - HASBRO - Jazz (TF Animated)
    04 - YAMATO - VF-1S 1/60 scale (Roy Focker type + Stike Packs, Macross DYRL?)
    05 - BANDAI - Gundam Exia (1/100 scale, Gundam 00)
    06 - BANDAI - Ptolymius (1/400 Scale, Gundam 00)
    07 - MATTEL - Green Lantern (DCUC)
    08 - MATTEL - Nightwing (DCUC)
    09 - HASBRO - Megatron (Leader Class, Transformers Animated)
    10 - YAMATO - YF-21 (Macross Plus)
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Excellent thread Scream Man.

Mine just quickly and with no thought attached....

01 - LEGO - Mill Falcon
    02 - HASBRO - Hoth Speeder Bikes
    03 - HASBRO - Ultra Onslaught
    04 - DC Direct - Star Sapphire
    05 - NECA - TMNT
    06 - DC Unlimited - Orc Shaman Rehgar Earthfury
    07 - MATTEL - Betty and Wilma Barbie 2 pak
    08 - HASBRO - Springer/Ratbat 2 pak
    09 - HASBRO - Cobra HISS Tank
    10 - LEGO - Agents Truck

(PITT B.A.F is an awesome, awesome toy but I think it was last year)

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Man... I need to think about this one for a bit!

It's impossible to separate the Big Millenium Falcon and the Neca Turtles - both are simply perfect!

The Dark Knight Movie Masters and new Masters of the Universe Classics are unbelievable too!

For now...

1) BMF
    1) Neca Turtles
    3) Dark Knight Movie Masters (Joker & Batman)
    4) Animated Leader Megatron
    5) MOTU Classics (He-Man)
    6) Animated Voyager Prime
    7) Revoltech Regult
    8) Movie Masters Scarecrow

Dont think I can name 10 but here are several I've purchased in the past year that deserve recognition (in no particular order):

1. Guitar Hero: World Tour PS3
    2. Yamato YF-19 with Fast Pack
    3. City Commander (with thanks to Kyle )
    4. Lego Agents Mobile Command Center
    5. TF Henkei Sunstreaker
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

I've really scaled back on buying non-TFs toys during 2008 but I'd like to give an honourable mention to Transforming Wall-E.

It's a really fun toy and just so darn cute. TRU has them overpriced but I got mine from Big W for nearly half of TRU's price!

...and a dishonourable mention to Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi for the appalling and inexcusable lack of leg articulation. They've gone back to the old 1970s/80s style of just having 2 points of articulation at the hips, but by 2008 standards - where Captain Rex has 10 points of articulation in his legs - I find it really poor form... especially considering that both figures are selling at the same price point. Obi-Wan does come with an interchangeable head and light sabre, but Rex has a removable helmet, two pistols and a rifle. Both toys come with a missile launching weapon... so I don't see how Obi-Wan's accessories would justify sacrificing leg articulation... if so, I would rather have leg articulation over the missile launcher any day. Gah!!

As you can see here, I've tried to put Obi-Wan and Rex into basic fencing positions but Obi-Wan just looks retarded because there's nothing I can do with his freakin' legs!

Aaaaarrrccchhhhheeeeeerrrrrrr!!!

Comparatively I scaled back my TF Purchasing (not being a fan of animated) and have ended up with more 25th Aniversary Joes than TF's this year, So I guess there my pic for top dog. Sure I got a couple who are a bit lacking but by and large there all really well done for a Hasbro toy, and 8-10 points of leg articulation each to.

So for me.

1:Gi joe 25th Anniversary (year 2) (I have to many favourtes I can't fit them in a top 10 list)
    2: The new Yamato 1/60 VF 1S
    3: Revoltech YF 21 and 19 (because you need both to duke it out.
    4: Movie Salvage, although he apears unremarkable I never get bored of him.

The Yamato SV 51 I bought this year would be my toy of the year, though it was definately released last year so I don't count it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ...and a dishonourable mention to Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi for the appalling and inexcusable lack of leg articulation. They've gone back to the old 1970s/80s style of just having 2 points of articulation at the hips, but by 2008 standards - where Captain Rex has 10 points of articulation in his legs - I find it really poor form... especially considering that both figures are selling at the same price point. Obi-Wan does come with an interchangeable head and light sabre, but Rex has a removable helmet, two pistols and a rifle. Both toys come with a missile launching weapon... so I don't see how Obi-Wan's accessories would justify sacrificing leg articulation... if so, I would rather have leg articulation over the missile launcher any day. Gah!!

As you can see here, I've tried to put Obi-Wan and Rex into basic fencing positions but Obi-Wan just looks retarded because there's nothing I can do with his freakin' legs!

Aaaaarrrccchhhhheeeeeerrrrrrr!!!
    Yeah I look at Star Wars figures from time to time and the articulation seems to vary greatly, the same with Indian Jones figures I picked up. I don't understand why they don't stick to a standard like GI Joe.

I got Clone Wars Anakin today... he's just as bad as Obi-Wan... arguably worse. He doesn't have an interchangeable head, but comes with a 'climbing rope' (i.e. piece of string with two handles attached). The "kung fu grip" on his hand is poorly done so that he can't hold his accessories properly. Definitely the worst value for money out of the 3 Clone Wars figures I have so far. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zed
    I don't understand why they don't stick to a standard like GI Joe.
    Why, it's almost as if Hasbro's not paying attention! It totally sucks how Clone Troopers - grunts - have better articulation than Jedi who are the main hero characters of the franchise. :/

not as many people picking as id have thought!
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Why, it's almost as if Hasbro's not paying attention! It totally sucks how Clone Troopers - grunts - have better articulation than Jedi who are the main hero characters of the franchise. :/
    Although you are more likely to pick up a whole bunch of clones
    Say you get one jedi and 3 clones. Better to have 3 good figures and 1 bad over 1 good figure and 3 bad
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

But I need the Jedi to be more articulated! Clone Troopers pretty much take cover and shoot at Battle Droids while the Jedi have to get into the thick of it and swing their lightsabres around cutting down droids and doing acrobatics etc... looks really 'tarded when their legs only have two pitiful points of articulation. (T_T)