Thread: Painting Transformers

Default Painting Transformers

I am thinking of painting some of my Genrations/Classics/RTS transformers & was wondering the best way to do so?

I know there are people on here who do a bit of painting so I wanted to see some advice before proceeding. I am not looking to paint huge areas of the figures just add highlights Hasbro should have in the first place. Just details to the grills, exhaust, wheels & lights & maybe some of the robot parts.

I have a spare RTS Jazz to be my test victim & he seems happy enough to be painted as he said he was "too whiiiiite my man! I need some colour apps baby"

I have heard the Tamiya hobby paints are OK & was thinking of using a fine brush to paint it.

Thoughts?

tamiya hobby paints are good enough for highlights and details and come in a wide range of colours. I find the Mr Hobby paints to be easier to paint with though.

Fine brush is good, I use toothpicks which are cheaper and easier to do details with.

I don't do much painting, and even when I do, I'm not very good, but my tips would be:

+ Give the toy a wash over with a babywipe or wet cloth. Allow to dry.
    + Consider the toy an undercoat
    + Apply multiple coats
    + Consider using a spray-on sealant (e.g. Purity Seal) after you've finished painting to protect the new paint job

and yeah, I've used toothpicks before as well for really fine details. The problem with fine hair brushes is that the brush hairs can still bend and go outside the desired area. Depends on what you're painting, of course.

I experimented with my painting skills. Interesting results. I am better than I thought I would be but I also messed up a area.

I will see how it all looks once dry but it will work for me with the small things like grills & exhausts so i am happy.