Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moral Dilemma: WWUD?

I'm playing for a club and we do have insurance. I didn't have a serious injury, ie. broken ribs, concussion etc. Just got touched up a bit and that's a part of footy. I'm probably having the run of my life in the last 2 games I've played and I guess a tag and extra attention was due. A bit more than I'd normally but i was pretty banged up for most of today and bit tired and fatigued. But I'll live.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

See what happens when you choose to play that drivel of a game they call VFL... (or should that be AFL )

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Okay... a player was injured and the umpires did nothing? Who's legally liable during these kinds of game when a person gets injured?
    in my opinion, this is the mindset that has caused such a rise in lawsuits/similar based on on field incidents. it most often comes from people who are not well versed in the real life playing of the sport, yet base their opinion on a few snippets they know of. (not directed at you gok, though i assume your knowledge on afl is not as great as say martial arts, and your playing experience is less again - please correct me if im wrong here )

firstly, we are talking here about local footy, anythign in the national league should be disregarded as they are paid proffessionals.

afl is a rough contact sport, and injuries of varying degrees are commonplace. players are allowed to tackle the opposition with only slight restriction on how/where they can tackle. at the same time, players can often mess up the move they are to make, and it can result in an injury to themselves or others. all who play understand any/all risks, and yet still play the sport.

I would imagine that there would be have to be some form of insurance in place and thus specific rules and legal ramifications. Who is responsible for player welfare/safety and was that person derelict in their duty? If so, then the person responsible could be charged for negligence. If not, then the club's insurance can cover for any medical costs incurred by the injury (if applicable).
    clubs have insurance, so players are covered for on field injuries - but that doesnt cover bruising et al (of course). if a player gets injured during the course of this sport, one of the following will happen:
    - the player will play on, as they dont believe it will hamper them greatly, and will deal with it post match
    - the player will alert the bench and will come off the ground
    - the player needs assistance, and will be helped off the ground by one or two club trainers
    - the player is unable to move without pain, or is knocked out, and the moment the umpires are told, the game will stop, while a stretcher is brought out.

of the above, the play only stops for the last point. why? thats just the way the game is, and always has been played.

in stls case, he had played a scintillating 1st half (though knowing him he is probably talking out of his arse ). from there, the other team employed a player to stick with him at all times to reduce his impact on the game. this generally also involves physical niggling to annoy stl and break his concentration. sure stl may be a bit bruised up after the game, but stl would have expected some of the attention coming his way. and besides, the game has been played like this for many many years, even in the top flight - and the only reason why the pros have eased up recently is due to the heavy fines they receive when caught, and also due to the 576 cameras in the stadiums that tape the match, meaning nothing is unseen anymore

If it's the latter, then it falls under third party public liability, which means that the player who knocked out the other player is at fault.
    i wish this perception could be removed from the world completely, because 99% of the times when this happens it is an accident, and i feel for anyone who is sued when it happens

That's how it works in martial arts anyway, so I'd imagine it would be the same for other sports too.
    apples and oranges cant be compared

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'd run them over in the parking lot.
    ________
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    I'd run them over in the parking lot.