Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456781323 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD: SW: The Force Awakens

Man!!!! what an adventure... I enjoyed every minute of it.

Anyone else think Rey is Skywalkers daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post

I am...
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

My favourite parts were Kylo Ren's tantrums. Fantastic show of anger and frustration.

Interesting he never took it out on anyone else in the First Order, just computer consoles and chairs. Like you know Vadar would have straight up force choked the closest person without hesitating.

If she isn't then she is at least a Han and Leia's kid. She had a connection to Skywalkers old lightsaber, so there is a blood connection there somewhere.

My money is on Luke's kid though, because I think she was left on Jakku before Luke went missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Han + Leia = Jania & Jacen (Twins, and Jacen eventually turns Darth), and Anakin
    Luke + Mara Jade (Secret emperors assassin who turns good ) = Ben

Hence my dislike
    I agree. It also doesn't make sense for Leia and Han to name their kid Ben. If they did it wasn't in honour of Kenobi. They didn't have much to do with him, well Leia didn't anyway. Han a bit, but not enough to name your kid after the guy.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I think this too, which would make her and Kylo Ren cousins.

I was also expecting Luke to use the force to take the lightsaber at the very end of the film.

I think that would be the easiest and most safest way to go about it, that Rey is the offspring of either Luke or Leia, however, after pondering this aspect over the last day or so and trying to take into account all the pieces that have been given so far, I've found myself developing and favouring an alternate theory
    Last edited by Meister; 18th December 2015 at 12:15 PM.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

I'd be surprised if Rey isn't Luke's daughter, given this is a Star Wars film that draws heavily on the first 3 films family ties are par for the course. That would however open up a more interesting mystery of who her mother is though? Given the lack of women in the first films they'll have to create a new non young character. All I can say is it better not be those Midichlorans again!

Also does anyone know who the old ally that Poe Dameron went to see at the beginning of the film was? Were we supposed to know him? Is he like a Rebellion General or something?

I had a though that if he isn't someone we know then maybe he's a character who's younger version will be introduced in one of the yet unreleased spin off films.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Add to that an opening scene where the good guys are caught by the bad guys, with the bad dude making his ominous appearance whilst the good guy hides the secret plans in a droid and sends him off to travel through a desert before being captured for interrogation, a canteena scene, a prison break/rescue mission, people after a certain smuggler for not delivering the goods, the young persons witnessing the mentor die at the hands of the bad guy, X wings having to travel through a trench to take out an Oscillator (aka exhaust chute) to destroy the "super mega force death star", with the addition of the new young force user traveling across the galaxy to find the last master Jedi to be trained how to become a jedi...
    There is no doubt that there are similarities, specifically done on purpose I would guess. However, I do not think that these similarities, done for nostalgia and as a nod to the original trilogy, take away from the originality of the story line.

Of course, if you want to look at the story in a vacuum and speak in generalities, then yes of course you can make it seem very similar to A New Hope. However, when you start to look at the differences you will see the originality behind it and in particular the different dynamic of the characters. That is the key difference; the characters are very very different in nature other than a comparison between Luke and Rey both being raised in a dessert environment and not knowing their past/force abilities.

However the similarities stop there. Rey is clearly a survivor. She has been on her own for a long time and does what she needs to in order to survive. She had no desire to leave Jakku (even if she always knew there was nothing really holding her there). Her command of the force seems to far exceed what Luke's was from the time they first became aware of their abilities - she is already using mind control. Contrast this with Luke who was always wanting to get off Tatooine and had a loving supporting family that was around. Luke was driven by a need to help others (following Leia's message) where as Rey, whilst having such virtuous qualities, was more of a reluctant hero.

Vadar and Kylo Ren have some similarities but their characters are mostly different. Vadar knew who he was and only questioned his position when faced with the death of his son. Ren on the other hand is deeply conflicted and ultimately took the path Vadar could not, he killed his father! Ren is deeply troubled by the light he feels inside and is clearly insecure and not in command of his powers to the extent Vadar was. Ren's background and upbringing are similar to Vadar (both were Jedi and seduced but isn't this generally how most Sith are arising at the time?).

There was no character like Finn in the original trilogy. Rey is like a mash up of Luke and Han. Even BB's personality was clearly different from that of R2. R2 always seems to know what he needs to do. BB seemed unsure of himself but always wanting to do the right thing.

The overall story line in a nutshell sounds like A New Hope, but once you flesh it out the similarities are nothing more than nods to the original. I'm not going to dissect the story line but I would still say the script is original.

Still trying to figure out how Poe was missing from the Tie Fighter crash then suddenly he appears in a X-Wing an hour later?
    What happened to Captain Phasma, Hux, and Kylo? Did they survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    All I can say is it better not be those Midichlorans again!
    Cool, so I'm not alone in entertaining that is within the realms of a viable possibility, she certainly does have all the attributes of Anakin (fixer, natural pilot and fighter, with an uncanny ability to effortlessly harness the power of the force). We may be in for another "virgence" in the force here, or rather Anakin Skywalker reincarnate (which also could explain the link to Anakins light sabre) I can't help but shake off a certain dialogue in one of the TV spots "I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different faces, I see your eyes, I know your eyes!"

Interesting though how some dialogue and scenes in the trailers were absent from the movie
    Last edited by Meister; 18th December 2015 at 12:17 PM.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Still trying to figure out how Poe was missing from the Tie Fighter crash then suddenly he appears in a X-Wing an hour later?
    What happened to Captain Phasma, Hux, and Kylo? Did they survive?
    I'm pretty sure Hux and Ren survived because Snoke told Hux to fetch him to complete his training before Starkiller base exploded.

As for Phasma she was my favourite of the 3 and it's a shame she got so little screen time so I hope she survived because it'd be such a waste of a good character, but no one can really tell.