Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - MP-32 Optimus Primal/Beast Convoy

kovert: it looks like Tracks' stand. This reviewer has used another kind of stand, so I'm assuming that this toy doesn't come with one of its own.

I just noticed that the red from the robot mode's knee caps look to be concealed in beast mode! That's pretty neat. I understand that it's not possible to completely conceal all the robot parts in beast mode (even most G1 MPs can't do it - e.g. MP automobiles have visible robot parts on the underside), so reducing the amount of red on the beast mode by concealing the knee caps is pretty awesome! The printed fur detailing doesn't look nearly as nice as the beautifully sculpted fur detailing on the original toy, but it is more show accurate. With a TV show budget in the 90s this was as good as they could get with portraying fur. Mainframe animators actually had to write their own animation software as the off-the shelf stuff couldn't cope with their demands, so it was all quite cutting edge TV CG animation for its time. If Optimus Primal were to appear in a live action film, then yeah, you'd expect it to have a realistic looking CG generated beast mode (similar to say King Kong on the Peter Jackson film).
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 4th November 2016 at 12:12 AM.

Could someone please post comparative images of this MP next to the original figure? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Could someone please post comparative images of this MP next to the original figure? Thanks in advance.
    From Alfes2010:

Beast mode comparison:

Alfes2010 review and pics: part 1, part 2 and part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    kurdt: feel free to copy/past the following into post #1 if you like. (I'll delete this portion of this post afterwards). I'm assuming that the toy's Approximate Size is the same as the original toy (as I don't have this MP yet), but do correct me if I'm wrong - and naturally feel free to edit anything else that you think may be inaccurate. Cheers/よろしくお願いします。
    Thanks, i put it in.

Also he doesn't come with a stand of his own. I'd be more inclined to get one just for him if he had some booster effect parts! There's a little hole near the jets on his back...

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    From Alfes2010:
    Thanks for those. Wow, he's actually smaller than the original mould (which is a more show accurate size. Looks to be closer to 18cm which is more like the size of most other Ultras (e.g. Galvatron, Big Convoy etc.) Some Ultras like Depth Charge are 17cm. The original Ultra Optimus Primal is larger than the average Ultra Class figure. In this photo you can see that Optimus Primal is taller than both Lio Convoy and Big Convoy. And making him smaller is also more show accurate, as Mainframe animators did make him a bit shorter in the cartoon, as can be seen in this image.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Thanks, i put it in.
    Awesome! If you can, could you measure the height of the robot mode? I just grabbed "20cm" from my old review of the original toy, but judging from MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!'s photos I'd say that the MP looks to about 2cm shorter. Thanks.

Mine's being shipped by el cheapo super-slow postage, so I probably won't get mine until the new US President is sworn into office.

Yeap it's 18! I left it as 20 cause i thought i remembered that info coming in a magazine somewhere. That reminds me i need to unpack my Lio & Big Convoys now!

Just got him, but a little late since Australia Post decided to send him on a tour of Queensland.

Anyone else have their box and clam shell double taped?

The plastic on the Beast Mode parts feel really odd in hand, most likely because of the decal transfers that are on almost every surface. Transformation is very complex yet easy to figure out without instructions. I'm very happy with him.

Mine's sitting on my desk and every time i glance at it, i swear it's about to start walking across the table. It's like he's the real Primal that's been hit with a "honey i shrunk the beasts" ray!

In a few short days this has become probably my favourite TF, it's just that nice. I'm already lowering expectations for Inferno now, i don't see how it can match this level.

Did the shoulder mod just now. (the red T shaped pieces in the shoulders are indeed mis-assembled) Makes him look more cohesive in beast mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    The beast head is on a clever ball joint design that lets it safely and easily pop off, while staying firmly lodged otherwise - in 2 distinct spots - one completely flush with the body and another slightly raised for more movement.
    I only found out today! Makes posing on all fours so much more natural.

Oh and, the 5mm peg on his back is indeed for Rattrap