Thread: Why no Diecast Transformers?

Default Why no Diecast Transformers?

I was watching my children play with Chuggington trains this morning and remembered that they are almost entirely made out of diecast. Although small in size (approx 8cm long x 3cm wide) they are quite heavy and contain about the same amount of diecast as a standard Autobot transformer. Now, these things only cost $7 each at Kmart. This to me is quite cheap for the amount of metal you are getting. Not to mention that the paint applications are spot on perfect with no blemishes or runs anywhere. If this small company (i forget their name) can produce high quality diecast toys at a small price, why cant hasbro???
    (please, i don't want this thread to turn into a Hasbro does/doesn't make quality toys. From my experience they don't)

Hasbro have an obligation to their shareholders to maximize profits as much as possible, thus they have to deliver the highest quality product they can whilst cutting every corner possible.

As for the diecast content, when you look at something like Binaltech vs Alternators one of the biggest problems with the Binaltechs is that the increasingly complicated transformation sequences resulted in paint chipping, as well as joints becoming loose due to the increased weight. They were also more expensive due to the diecast and enamel paint applications.

And please don't start threads with obscure titles.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Don't forget that Transformers are far more complex and have a lot more moving parts compared to something like a toy train or Hot Wheels/Matchbox car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober
    As for the diecast content, when you look at something like Binaltech vs Alternators one of the biggest problems with the Binaltechs is that the increasingly complicated transformation sequences resulted in paint chipping,
    Early Binaltech toys like Smokescreen had issues with paint chipping, but Takara did take action and improved their paint quality with later Binaltechs which had more chip-resistant paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober
    as well as joints becoming loose due to the increased weight. They were also more expensive due to the diecast and enamel paint applications.
    That's true. Although in Australia this savings isn't always passed onto us consumers thanks to the inflated prices we pay for Transformers in this country. The initial RRP for plastic Alternators here was about the same as the RRP for die-cast Binaltechs in Japan. :/

But yeah, manufacturing a Transformer with die-cast parts is considerably more expensive than making a model train.

Default Re

I can't remember where I heard this:

Hasbro don't manufacture TFs. All manufacturing is handled by takara through China and Vietname(now). Hasbro just take order and distribute.

(Editted topic title to be more obvious on the main tables)

Hasbro don't manufacture TFs. All manufacturing is handled by takara through China and Vietname(now). Hasbro just take order and distribute.
    That's true, but it is still Hasbro that determines the manufacturing componants (plastics, metals, paints, packaging) of their toys, depending on cost factors.

Sideswipes brother is right. I'm often amazed at how detailed and how much diecast is there in common everyday kiddy toys like trucks and the like.

I mean their paint app is nigh on perfect with some chroming here and there and plenty of diecast to give it weight.

In comparison, sadly even the latest TF: WFC Prime is real plasticky.

but doesnt everyday kiddie toys like trucks dont transform? If you look at a transformer, there are a lot of small parts that needs to be pieced together, making it more costly just to assemble than regular non-transforming toys (and recently, the RPMs are changing to die cast too)
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase View Post
    but doesnt everyday kiddie toys like trucks dont transform? If you look at a transformer, there are a lot of small parts that needs to be pieced together, making it more costly just to assemble than regular non-transforming toys (and recently, the RPMs are changing to die cast too)
    You are correct in regards to Transformers being more complex. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I think ever since the transition to more and more plastic and less and less detailed paint application and markings, we are still paying the same if not even more expensive for our Transformers.

What puzzles me is that if you look at say Star Wars vehicles, in majority, they have great play value, I think also much better and durable plastics, weathering and some markings pre-applied - on the whole a much better toy than the TF line ....

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    What puzzles me is that if you look at say Star Wars vehicles, in majority, they have great play value, I think also much better and durable plastics, weathering and some markings pre-applied - on the whole a much better toy than the TF line ....
    Star Wars vehicles are much larger than most TF's and contain a lot less parts. And would be on the whole a lot more easy to add paint apps to. The parts count is what limits TF paint quality at least that would be Hasbro's stance.

TakaraTomy have shown that they can produce a TF with significant paint apps while keeping the price reasonableish with toys like Buster Prime. However on the whole action figures and vehicles playsets are always going to have better paint jobs then TF's as there will be a lot less parts and therefore less labour required in assembly, and that's money saved that they can put back into painting the toy.