Page 70 of 154 FirstFirst ... 506065666768697071727374758090 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

I saw Terminator Genisys last night. I have to say it was amazing.
    If you dump T3 and T:S and just take the first 2 and this one it would make a good trilogy.

They left a good opening for a sequel (spoiler: there is an end credit scene), although I don't think they will because of all this needless hate it's getting.
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

I wouldn't call it needless, but each to their own.

For me the Genisys frustrates me because it makes the time travel element utterly pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJiSZhA5cg

I watched the new Terminator also. To steal a line from Django, it was a good bit of fun.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

30 Rock has ruined me for Alec Baldwin in other movies. Every time he spoke in Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation it seemed like a setup for a Jack Donaghy line.

Saw Jurrasic World and Terminator Genesys on Sunday.

Japan is behind in the movies, by a lot.

Jurrasic World was fun and there was some nice little bits of referral to the other movies that I liked. BUT I found it hard to like all the characters, except for the billioniare guy and GOTG guy.

The kids were just annoying. One a whiney wussbag and the other just douche and the Aunt, just really doesn't have enough connection to make me believe she's that concerned about them. To top it off in the ridiculous emotional levels, was when Aunt was talking to Mum, telling her annoying 1 &2 are with her assitant mum syas "But this is supposed to be a family trip" Yet Mum just shipped the kids off for a week..... Then blah blah blah throwaway scene of kids talking about parents breaking up.. Where did that come from?

In the end, I found the kids an irritation. But the rest of the movie was cool. I would have been happy if the kids just got lost and didn't say anything, and the movie proceeded like that.

So, zero feelings, but cool Dinosaur action. 3/5

Terminator was great! I really dug it. I loved the way it starts and looks a lot like the first terminator and then things go a bit whacky. Sure the time travel shenanigens kinda messes with stuff, but, time travel always messes with stuff. Arnie was great! Would watch again.

Good fun and worth a watch if ya like 1 & 2. 4/5

Both films, 3d not required.

just watched pixels thought it was good for a laugh worth it i say. dont listen to the critics, or it could have just been the four smirnoffs i had while watching it...........

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Japan is behind in the movies, by a lot.
    Bear in mind that non-Japanese movies are technically foreign language films in Japan, and it does take time to prepare subtitled and dubbed translations prior to release in cinemas. I suspect that the dubbing takes longer.

IMO Japan releases foreign language films better than Australia. Dragonball Z Resurrection 'F' debuted in Japanese cinemas on 18/4/2015. It didn't hit Australian cinemas until 6/8/2015; 110 days after Japan. The general release of Jurassic World in the U.S. was 12/6, and it premiered in Japan on 5/8, or 54 days after the U.S. That's approximately half the time it took to release DBZ:RF in AU cinemas! And to make things worse, most cinemas here only screened that movie dubbed. It was a massive pain in the diodes to find the one cinema in Sydney that was screening it in Japanese, and they only had a measly two session times. I'm assuming that you were able to find screenings for Jurassic World and Terminator Genesys in English.

But then you have the live action Attack on Titan movie, which came out in Japan last month and came out in Australia today. But it's only being screened in select cinemas, and it's only until 7/10. That's right, this movie's only being screened here for one week. And I don't know how many of these sessions are dubbed or subbed or what...

While I do understand the frustration with the lag time that Japan experiences in receiving foreign language films, realistically most countries experience some lag with their own foreign films. But IMHO, Japan tends to handle their foreign films a lot better than Australia.

----------------------------

Fun Fact 1: Watanabe Ken, the Japanese voice actor for Age of Extinction Drift, did not dub himself over in the Japanese dub version of Transformers: Lost Age. Drift was instead dubbed by anime voice actor Mizu'uchi Kiyomitsu. I suspect that it was because it was cheaper to use an anime voice actor rather than an international film star. I think that this is rather common practice. e.g. the German dub actor for Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't Arnie himself, but German voice actor Thomas Danneberg (hah, they couldn't even get an Austrian voice actor to dub Arnie ). Which leads me to...

Fun Fact 2: The Japanese dub voice for Arnold Schwarzenegger is Genda Tesshō. That's right, when you're watching Arnie dubbed in Japanese, you're hearing the Japanese voice of G1 Convoy and Omega Supreme (as well as the original Galaxy Force voice for Primus) Which leads me to...

Fun Fact 3: Genda Tesshō also does the dub voice for Optimus Prime in all the Japanese dubs of the live action Transformers films. This must be a real treat for Japanese G1 fans, the equivalent of say having Peter Cullen voice Optimus Prime in an English language dub of The Headmasters.

I watched Mad Max Fury Road today
    It was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I watched Mad Max Fury Road today
    It was terrible.
    Just something to pass the time. Watched it over the holidays as well. Laughed more with Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse though it is a juvy film.

Mad Max Fury Road was my favourite film of all the ones I saw at the movies this year, but it does seems to be one of those films that's very divisive.

Haven't quite come up with a top five of the year, but it would include four of these: American Sniper, Imitation Game, Ant-Man, Spy, Mockingjay pt2, and SW Force Awakens.