Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite and scariest horror movies?

The first horror movie that I had to walk out on because it was so scary was when I was 13, and it was Pet Cemetery. It's a fairly tame movie by today's standards, but the special effects of the things coming back to life just freaked me out.

Since I was more into scifi/fantasy because of my imagination, I didn't watch many Horror movies because of that over-active imagination. I was 11 when I saw my first two, and both of them kept me awake at night for a number of days afterwards.
    One was called The Hand (made in 1981), and the other was called Piranha (made in 1978). Jaws was also an early one that I remember watching, so the two aquatic ones made it difficult to go into the water for a while as a kid.

Since then it's suspense horror that affects me more, as gruesome horror is more fascinating for thinking about how they did it with special effects. (unnecessary gruesome special effects in non-horror movies is not something I like, but contained within the horror genre, it has a purpose for the film-maker to flex their creative muscles, and therefore has a place on screen for "entertainment" purposes - whereas a non-horror movie that has excessive blood and gore is redundant when the genre or entertainment focus is supposed to be action, adventure or drama)

Suspense horror movies that I found scariest (as in, is still scary when watching it a second time), include Event Horizon (still creeps me out, but is a scifi movie as well so it fascinates me as well), The Ring (the American version), Poltergeist, Arachnophobia, It (I ended up watching it so many times that I don't find it scary anymore), Paranormal Activity, and Critters.

When doing a search online for what others think are the "best" or "scariest" horror movies, a lot of them are really old or gained critical support for being the first to be doing something... as such, I've seen most of them and don't find them very scary (I guess modern movies has desensitised me).
    One movie that keeps showing on or near the top of various lists is the 1982 movie "The Thing", which I've never seen, but probably should since it seems to rate very well.

On the topic of horror movies that failed to be scary, I'd have to give a mention for the original Nightmare on Elm Street films and TV series, which became more amusing than scary over time... particularly the TV show.

As for a horror parody, I recommend watching the "Scary Movie" series, with my favourite being the second one. I've actually found that these horror spoofs make the original horror movie almost completely un-scary, as you keep thinking about the comedy element related to it from the spoof movie.

I was 17 and I thought I'd seen it all and no horror movie could scare me (I'd already been scared by the likes of The Exorcist, Alien, Aliens & Friday The 13th) but then I saw The Thing (1982) and I can see why John Carpenter regards that as the best film he's ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ...I had the idea to ask what others have as their favourite horror movies, and/or the most scariest movies you've ever seen (or failed to watch to the end because it was too scary).
    Showgirls. Absolutely frightening

Which is of course a quote from Scream 2 which was the first horror slasher film I ever saw (and starting with someone watching a horror movie in the cinema getting killed really freaked out this person watching a horror movie In a cinema). Hasn't held up on subsequent viewing though I have a soft spot for it

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Wolf Creek was pretty damn scary as it seemed like something that could plausibly happen. Saw was pretty scary, never saw any of the sequels.
    A +1 for Wolf Creek. That was one I almost walked out of. The second one wasn't bad either

I love Aliens but that's more action than horror. The Dawn of the Dead remake is my favourite zombie movie, despite the fast zombies. Dog Soldiers is an underrated werewolf film that I really enjoyed (good pick Gutsman). The Others was a great gothic horror film. I saw It Follows recently and that was very successful creepy thriller.

But if I picked one horror film that scared the **** out of me it would be The Descent. Was on edge and restless the whole time and definitely jumped out of my seat at one moment.

For movies that scared the crap out of me, not including ones I saw as a kid, only two come to mind. The first is Event Horizon. I was 16, at a friends house with about 8 other friends. It was 2am and we were all fairly intoxicated. We shat ourselves at Sam Neil's decent into madness

The other was The Ring (US version). Watched it with my wife on DVD. After it finished we dared each other to watch the clip from the movie, couldn't do it
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Event horizon scared the s*#t out of me when I originally saw it in High school, and The Human Centipede shocked me the most, I wouldn't watch it again.

Also the VHS box art for the Ghoulies & Nightmare on Elm Street used to freak me out as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    The scariest movie I've seen is The Ring (Japanese version).
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    + 1 for The Ring... although I've only ever seen the US version. We actually named our daughter Samara based on the character of the same name
    I've seen both versions, and IMO the Japanese one is scarier. And the book that it was adapted from is even scarier.

Although my favourite horror genre book would be Interview With A Vampire. Not necessarily because it's scary per se, but I just really enjoy the story. The film is a pretty faithful adaptation, but there are inevitably parts from the book which are omitted.

The descent was great!

I'm a huge horror fan. Best horror film of the last decade was "Rec."

Most disturbing film is "A Serbian film" (you have been warned)

A movie I absolutely refuse to watch is The Human Centipede. I know the storyline and I've been told the ending and the whole thing is just so gross and so freaky that I wont watch it. I'm all for wishing hateful things to happen to my enemies - helps me sleep at night - but I couldn't imagine doing that kind of stuff to anyone anywhere ever!

I had an ex-student who from the age of 16 onwards watched that movie like every single night religiously. Loved it! Think it was yet another piece of evidence he will end up in prison at some point in his life

I would say Event Horizon as well. It's scary enough as it is but even worse if you went to the movies not expecting to see a horror flick. I think if you're prepared to watch a horror flick you start in a certain frame of mind so your mind it's kinda ready to take in the scares. I thought it was a sci-fi flick... Started off nice and cruisey and then...well those who have seen it know what I'm taking about.

For pure shock the worst I watched was Cannibal Holocaust, there is a reason it was banned for so long.
    The scariest to me is still The Exorcist.

I am a massive horror fan though and love my classic slashers like Jason, Freddy, Michael, Pinhead etc.

I may have to finally sit down and watch Event Horizon after reading this thread though