Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Regret Thread

Red face The Regret Thread

I can't be the only one here but somehow I can't find a thread of this Perhaps most normal people would prefer to lick their own wounds in the dark of the corner?

We all make wrong purchases that we later feel regrets for (at least I do...a lot...). It can be just an impulse, or a bad mood, or pure stupidity, or anything else, or a combination of all. It's annoying, but can't hurt to share seeing it can be helpful for others who might otherwise make the same mistake. And if there's no lesson, it's always good for just a laugh!! After all, we being here is all about having fun in a common interest.

Start with my regrets. First pair, longest regret, product of pure impulse.

I never liked Grandpa Sentinel Prime; but he looked somewhat nice in the box and kinda quite accurately articulate in detail. As soon as he's out of the box, collapsed.

As for Sideswipe...NOOOOOO. He should be a SILVER paint all over, or a SILVER paint all over. I like his image in the movie; god only knows why I bought this dull greyish plastic piece of...

LESSON: Stick to the characters I like; and defend their correct image!

Second one...quickest regret so far. I have no sooner bought it than I started to regret...wasn't even impulsive in any sense. A result of too much food at lunch break perhaps? Qualify for pure stupidity I guess.

I thought they were those trading cards members talked about in the other thread...but they are not. And they probably look better on the photo

Got them for $9.95 at Myer. Guess the price justifies it but still, a regret is a regret.

LESSON: if accidentally eat too much at lunch, avoid the toy section at any store.

haha, interesting idea for a thread Arcee,

the first regret that comes to my mind would have to be ROTF Demlishor, not only did i pay extra for mine, and not only was it a pretty pathetic design/toy but mine was broken out of the box and i couldnt return it since i lost the receipt

You had to come out and start bashing on movie toys already didnt you? -_-

I personally love Leader Class Sentinel Prime, but my regretted purchases would have to be:
    • Classics Grimlock (If you own it, you'll know why )
    • A host of Beast Wars Neo figures (Because I turned around and sold them thinking they were Beast Machine Repaints... ).

Oh how I am very glad that I have learnt so much from this board.

hmmm indeed interesting thread. My regrets would be not of toys I purchased but rather of missing out in buying the toys cheap - mostly these happened waaay back when I was a poor Uni Student when I was still in Philippines so it was not enough cash to buy a whole heap or I end up just getting what I thought at that time a good toy or just my general ignorance in TFs - I collected /bought Tfs then on the sole basis that I just get what looks good for me at the time. Little did I know that later my "what I want" would progress into... I want to complete G1 (at least to a certain degree - US based)...
    These figures Im talking about are...

1. Individual G1 Dinoking figures - was sold for retail on clearance at Robinsons, they had a whole pallet and I just ignored coz I thought these were KOs( then termed as bootleg) coz I encountered the pretender monsters before and knew that the shells should be monsters not dinosaurs, pluys I thought the color scheme was rather dull... then after a month I see the Japanese Tf: Victory show on Star TV. Doh!!!... too late by then the whole pallet is gooone

2. Lio Convoy - again this is another case of , I didnt like the look of the toy then. Also I wasn't into Beast wars. I ignored the toy which was on clearance ( a whole shelf full) for 100 Pesos ( i think the exch rate was around Php 20-23 = AU$1 then) and settled to get the other toy which was on clearance and thought of better value for my money since Im getting 2 bots in one purchase - BB with Starscrem for Php600. I don't regret getting BB but not buying Lio COnvoy and now to find that it's hard to come by ( a whole wall shelf back then - shelfwarming, geez) cheap.. sigh.

3.G1 pretenders lots of em... they were being cleared out at Nova Fontana toy store for Php150 each coz these were toys that got damage boxes ( somehow their stock room got soaked in flood waters) so they were dilapidated looking but the toys are still good. I didn't like pretenders then.. thought the concept was stupid ( why am i gonna pay for immobile shells) plus I dont like the look of the innerbots - skinny and the alt modes look weird (still do but I like em better now) so I got only two then which piqued my interest a bit - Chainclaw and Catilla. Then got AM Megs and Prime in that purchase as well. Sigh looking back now I keep thinking I couldve easily completed the subsets in one go... some are hard to find nowadays and cost heaps even if the boxes are dingy I care less for the box anyways.

---- sub to this is I was choosing between getting Bludgeon or Stranglehold.. I didnt like the look of Bludgeon then SO I settled for the latter and went on my cheery way... years later after reading the comic book I fell in love with the character development of Bludgeon - ooops to late again the toy aint there anymore plus the store was going bancrupt (Nova fontana is now closed) so most of the old stock are gone coz apparently someone ( a toy collector most likely) as the story by the salesperson went came the other day and took all the Tfs in one go... all of it. How could a poor UNi student then compete with that someone with a lot of cash to blow. ah well....

4. AM Starscream - this was an old stock on clearance picked it up , umming and ahhing put it down coz I kept thinking "yeah it's Starscream but he doesnt transform, so maybe not"- the current TF series then was Beast Wars and I wasnt really buying TFs that time, just enjoying the show and wasn't actively collecting ... th efreakin non transforming toy is hard to find cheap now. and some are sold pricy as even when incomplete....

In the end though now, Im glad I finally got all these toys except for #1 and #2, ah well, some day

On newer toys, I don't regret buying the movie toys - movie 1 and 2 coz I ve been selective collecting again - just getting what I wanted.... I didn't get much from TF3 line - just what I wanted so even though ive boxed these up and kept them not on display atm, I still can;t bring myself to sell em or also same for the Unicron trilogy stuff coz those figures, I got only what I liked as well, not the entire line.

Nowadays those kinds of clearance doesnt happen anymore.. too many toy shops are owned by collectors themselves in the Phils so well, you get the odd clearance price, but yeah they're wise now on hard to find stuff as such. Ah well the good news only is that there is quite a lot more shops selling rather than way back when.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    You had to come out and start bashing on movie toys already didnt you? -_-
    ...Well, you can't blame chocolate for being too delicious and you can't blame the toys for being bad after you deliberately bought bad toys I guess... (because that's pretty much what my case was )

Fortunately just those two I now regret about. The rest of my movie toys I'm mostly still feel satisfied seeing them. I do hate Leader Bumblebee's "armour" and I actually hate Jetwing Optimus's Jetwing. Ignoring those "superfluous", I have no complaint on the rest of my movie toys.

Before you ask...yes, I do prefer G1 now. I started with movie toys and now my G1 collection is twice the size of my movie collection

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    My regrets would be not of toys I purchased but rather of missing out in buying the toys cheap - mostly these happened waaay back when I was a poor Uni Student when I was still in Philippines so it was not enough cash to buy a whole heap or I end up just getting what I thought at that time a good toy or just my general ignorance in TFs - I collected /bought Tfs then on the sole basis that I just get what looks good for me at the time. Little did I know that later my "what I want" would progress into... I want to complete G1 (at least to a certain degree - US based)...
    I'm reading what's exactly happened to me and still happening

Talk about regrets of missing out on buying cheap...I believe I have a unbeaten record of that. Here's a perfect example:

I "unofficially" started my TF collection by buying a Leader Optimus amidst the heat of ROTF. After three months he's put onto a corner shelf to gather dust. After a little more than one year I was moving, and it seemed no longer attractive, so I donated it to Salvo Army.

Little did I expect that only another three months later, I went to see DOTM and got completely hooked, again. Only this time, it's destined that I won't be able to ever get over it again in three months' time (Yeah on the contrary I became more crazy after three months now)

So naturally what happened was I paid about double the price I paid for the Optimus I donated just to get an exact duplicate.

And that's only one of the examples...

I took consolation in that my Leader Optimus ended up in some poor kid's possession and he's at least had a happy Xmas that year.

Default Nice thread Arcee.

6800 Yen on a KO Ultra Magnus is the most recent one - thought it was legit. He's still a fun figure and all but...damn KOs.

Paying money for Brushguard (and Razorbeast) is up there too. Not good toys.

Didn't the Leader Class Prime (with swindle) got reissued though Arcee? They did sold for clearance price of $30 (IIRC) I snatched one up just so I can have a cheap newer version- as much as I like the first release it can't combine with Jetfire so I bit the bullet to buy another so I can combine it with Jetty. He's now displayed though in the shelf of Primes/Screamers and Megs along with other some incarnates of the characters. So you paid full price for it the second time again?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Trading a MOSC RID Mega Octane for a 'complete' BW Dinobot, that came without the mutant masks and sword. I've never traded since.

Getting screwed in my early eBay days with a KO Tigatron that never arrived.

I regret selling my MISB Op Op. He was a lovely piece.

But in order to keep ones sanity, you have to concentrate on the possitives, rather than the negative aspects of collecting (of which there are many, least of all sellers trying to screw you over)

Finding a TM2 Blackarachnia at Launceston Target and not being able to believe it as I ran to the check-out! (It was the last BW toy I ever bought from a store)

Going to TRU in Melbourne on a family holiday and getting TM Megatron, FZ Silverbolt and TM Airazor.

They're the kind of memories we need to hold on to.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Not trying to sound full of myself, but I don't regret any of my purchases.

All of them have been thought-through prior to buying to make sure they 'fit' with my collection e.g. one of every movie character, characters that I have focused on etc.

I think in the past 2 years, I've only had a couple of sale threads and none of them were to off-load toys I regretted buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I personally love Leader Class Sentinel Prime, but my regretted purchases would have to be:
    [LIST][*]Classics Grimlock (If you own it, you'll know why )
    *snip*
    Yeeeeah.... I understand, which is why I bought Animated Grimlock instead
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]