Page 1 of 154 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Default Movie Critics Thread

Surprised a thread like this doesn't exist yet, or if it does - then I don't know how to use the Search function properly.

Self-explanatory, this thread is for users to rate any movies, new or old that they've seen. Should be non-TF movies as the Reviews section of the Boards is dedicated to that.

I'm going to use a 10/10 rating system.

So I'm going to start off with

Warrior (2011) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_%282011_film%29 , A movie starring Nick Nolte, Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy.

This movie was surprisingly a very, very deep family drama/UFC movie with quality made by Lionsgate pictures (usually their movies are very subpar). Nick Nolte played his role beyond perfection as a recovering alcoholic on a path of redemption while Edgerton and Hardy were well portrayed as distanced brothers with their own heavy burdens and when pitted together in the movie's finale, you didn't want either of them to lose. The fights are brutal and what was good was that the movie didn't rely on gore or edgy cuts to convey such a tone but rather what was stake for the characters themselves.

Though the movie is flawed at parts and can be predictable, it's so worth seeing for Nolte's moving performance and the deep themes used.

My final rating: 9.5/10. Not perfect, but definitely a MUST-SEE.

Super

It's kick-ass meets Griff the invisible with a sprinkle of Juno/any other indie hipster-bait.
    A marvellous movie while very slow to start goes absolutely insane by the end. You have to watch this.

Attack the Block
    A simple but very well made sci-fi/horror movie. Think "Critters" but on steroids. A must see.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    This movie was surprisingly a very, very deep family drama/UFC movie with quality made by Lionsgate pictures (usually their movies are very subpar).
    Why do you think Lionsgate films are sub par, SkyWarp? They distributed Dogma and Kick-Ass, and critically acclaimed Oscar winners like Monster's Ball and Crash. And Hunger Games looks brilliant: http://youtu.be/4S9a5V9ODuY. That said, Warrior has the gayest film poster I have seen in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Why do you think Lionsgate films are sub par, SkyWarp? They distributed Dogma and Kick-Ass, and critically acclaimed Oscar winners like Monster's Ball and Crash. And Hunger Games looks brilliant: http://youtu.be/4S9a5V9ODuY. That said, Warrior has the gayest film poster I have seen in years.
    Gayest? I did say those two are brothers, not lovers, not that there is anything wrong with homosexuality in the first place - but whatever floats your boat.

And here's a list of some recent Lionsgate releases, I did say 'usually' their films are sub-par and sub-par to me are movies that didn't make me feel amazed by what I saw and were easily forgettable. This is MY opinion after all, you can disagree as much as you like. I know other Film Studios have released many bad films as well but those studios have produced much better films (WB with Batman Begins, Fox with Star Wars) than Lionsgate's best movies

Saw V
    Transporter 3
    Punisher: War Zone
    The Spirit
    My Bloody Valentine 3D
    New in Town
    Battle for Terra May 1, 2009
    Gamer
    I Can Do Bad All By Myself
    More Than a Game
    The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
    Precious
    Also known as Precious
    Brothers
    Daybreakers
    The Spy Next Door
    From Paris with Love
    Killers
    The Expendables
    The Last Exorcism
    Alpha and Omega
    Buried
    Saw 3D
    For Colored Girls
    The Next Three Days
    Rabbit Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Super

It's kick-ass meets Griff the invisible with a sprinkle of Juno/any other indie hipster-bait.
    A marvellous movie while very slow to start goes absolutely insane by the end. You have to watch this.

Attack the Block
    A simple but very well made sci-fi/horror movie. Think "Critters" but on steroids. A must see.
    I haven't seen Attack the Block, but I do agree with Super totally.

That movie was blissfully insane and it was a shame that it was looked down on by many because it was considered a ripoff of 'Kickass', yet the Creator Mark Millar was actually defending Super's creator James Gunn because both movies were coincidentally made roughly at the same time.

Compared to Kick-Ass, I liked the protagonist of Super better, he didn't vex me as much as that of Kick-Ass.

Gayest? I did say those two are brothers, not lovers, not that there is anything wrong with homosexuality in the first place - but whatever floats your boat.
    Regardless of whether or not they're brothers, all that movie poster says is "this is clearly not a chickflick, but see this if you like watching films about guys with sixpacks who don't wear shirts." In terms of demography, it's just the most bizarrely-targeted poster.

Daybreakers
    Daybreakers was fantastic, for anyone who hasn't watched it. In the wake of the 'vampire' craze, this took the high concept of 'what happens once vampires have eaten or turned all the humans?' What do they do when the blood runs out? It was truly clever, with a pool of actors taken from the best in international (Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe) and local (Sam Neill, Claudia Karvan, Isabel Lucas, Vince Colosimo) talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Daybreakers was fantastic, for anyone who hasn't watched it. In the wake of the 'vampire' craze, this took the high concept of 'what happens once vampires have eaten or turned all the humans?' What do they do when the blood runs out? It was truly clever, with a pool of actors taken from the best in international (Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe) and local (Sam Neill, Claudia Karvan, Isabel Lucas, Vince Colosimo) talent.
    The idea for the movie was admittedly genius, however I found myself getting bored with the 2nd and 3rd act. Decent movie, but didn't really care towards the end. Did you experience this as well?

i liked daybreakers and found it moved along nicely.

just watched real steel and found it quite enjoyable.

Pontypool (2008) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pontypool/

One of the best intelligent horrors I've seen in years! Very light on the gore so if you simply enjoy a well written, highly original movie then there's a good chance you'll enjoy Pontypool. Stephen McHattie gives such a terrific performance as Radio DJ Grant Mazzy. My only problem with it is the ending (well, the ending before the post-credits ending - which is very open to interpretation - I loved this btw). It's not what happens in the end, but the way it was directed, it was just very anti-climactic for me. It was a low budget film so I guess I can't knock them too much for that. 9/10

La Habitación de Fermat (Fermat's Room) (2007) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fermats_room/

Creepy French thriller (is there a French thriller that isn't creepy as hell?) which I found to be thoroughly engaging throughout. 7/10

Grave Encounters (2011) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/grave_encounters/

What do you get when you cross Paranormal Activity with Most Haunted? Grave Encounters is what! Pretty unoriginal stuff, I mean it has a few original/cool ideas near the end but Rec & PA, this is not. Having said that, this kind of 'found footage' stuff is a real guilty pleasure of mine and I ended up really getting into it. If you like this kind of film, you'll most likely have a ball. 6/10

The Adventures of Tintin (2011) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...res_of_tintin/

I can't decide which movie is more boring, this or Dark of the Moon. Tintin really should have been given to a European director, and someone who understands Herge's subtle wit. And someone who understands humour!! What we have here is a typical American 'blockbuster' with big set pieces to wow little Jimmy in 3D, but little else worth caring about. And the CG faces, yuck!! Most infuriating of all, they turned Captain Haddock into little more than an annoying drunk. Keep on ruining your own franchises Spielberg but leave Europe out of it! 3/10

The idea for the movie was admittedly genius, however I found myself getting bored with the 2nd and 3rd act. Decent movie, but didn't really care towards the end. Did you experience this as well?
    The second act was definitely a change of pace, but I enjoyed it until the end. The third act in particular certainly got my heartrate up.