Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Pontypool (2008) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pontypool/

One of the best intelligent horrors I've seen in years! Very light on the gore so if you simply enjoy a well written, highly original movie then there's a good chance you'll enjoy Pontypool. Stephen McHattie gives such a terrific performance as Radio DJ Grant Mazzy. My only problem with it is the ending (well, the ending before the post-credits ending - which is very open to interpretation - I loved this btw). It's not what happens in the end, but the way it was directed, it was just very anti-climactic for me. It was a low budget film so I guess I can't knock them too much for that. 9/10

The Adventures of Tintin (2011) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...res_of_tintin/

I can't decide which movie is more boring, this or Dark of the Moon. Tintin really should have been given to a European director, and someone who understands Herge's subtle wit. And someone who understands humour!! What we have here is a typical American 'blockbuster' with big set pieces to wow little Jimmy in 3D, but little else worth caring about. And the CG faces, yuck!! Most infuriating of all, they turned Captain Haddock into little more than an annoying drunk. Keep on ruining your own franchises Spielberg but leave Europe out of it! 3/10
    Pontypool sounds interesting, might have to watch it.

Good thing I skipped watching Tintin, I wasn't really interested in the original comics in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    The second act was definitely a change of pace, but I enjoyed it until the end. The third act in particular certainly got my heartrate up.
    Perhaps I should give it a second viewing sometime.

My next movie review:

Samurai Cop (1989)

The cover has NOTHING to do with the movie.

This is a horrible movie starring no-name actors: Robert Z'Dar, Matt Hannon, Jannis Farley, Mark Frazer

The movie has very predictable cliche moments but the dialogue is somewhat unique, as seen in this scene when 'Samurai' (played by Hannon) is talking to a nurse. You should really see it for yourself to understand how bad it is.

Another example is this piece of dialogue:

Samurai: Watch out Frank, the Captain's going to burn your ass.

Frank (played by African-American Actor Mark Frazer): My ass is already black.

I also have the feeling that Director Amir Shervan originally called this movie 'Horny Cop' as it features many many sex scenes and perhaps had post-dubbed the word 'Samurai' everytime someone said the word 'horny'. There is very little relevance to actual Samurai in this movie, except maybe the last 2 minutes.

Yet this movie is very AWFUL, it's one of those so-bad-it's-good movies.

When I show this movie to my friends we're bound to have massive laughing-fit unachievable by perhaps every single intentional comedy movie ever.

This is the type of movie that you must watch as a filmmaker or anyone interested in films to know what NOT to do when making your own feature.

My final verdict?

As a film based on quality - 1/10. 1 for fact that you could tell the cast and crew enjoyed making this movie, despite how bad it is.

As a lesson to those in film-making - 10/10. This, like 'The Room' is one of the gems of what NOT to do when it comes to making your own flick (unless you're aiming down low on purpose for an infamous reputation)

I rather enjoyed Tintin, and the rampart alcoholism amuses me greatly, more so due to horrified reactions from American cinema goers.

But Seriously, its a fun, well made adventure flick. Basically what Indy 4 should have been. I saw it in 2D and thus cant comment on the quality of the stereoscopic effect.

Hugo (2012) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hugo/

I'm simply astounded at the high scores this film is receiving. Yes, it looks pretty but that's not exactly why I go to the movies. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and it just never did! Boring as bat ****, overly long and totally rubbish humour. 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    I rather enjoyed Tintin, and the rampart alcoholism amuses me greatly, more so due to horrified reactions from American cinema goers.

But Seriously, its a fun, well made adventure flick. Basically what Indy 4 should have been. I saw it in 2D and thus cant comment on the quality of the stereoscopic effect.

yep what he said. my family and i enjoyed tin tin. just watched paul the other day i found it hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    yep what he said. my family and i enjoyed tin tin. just watched paul the other day i found it hilarious.
    Paul is a great movie, it's one of those movies I pop into my DVD player every now and then to have a good laugh.

Hugo (2012) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hugo/

I'm simply astounded at the high scores this film is receiving. Yes, it looks pretty but that's not exactly why I go to the movies. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and it just never did! Boring as bat ****, overly long and totally rubbish humour. 3/10
    Judging by the trailers I didn't get the whole appeal of Hugo, good thing I skipped it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Judging by the trailers I didn't get the whole appeal of Hugo, good thing I skipped it too.
    David and Margaret gave it 5 and 4.5 stars which compelled me to see what the fuss was about. I found the trailer to be pretty misleading, I got the impression that the robot was magical or something but it ended up being as boring as the rest of the film. The real subject matter was the last thing I was expecting (or wanting to see ).

Have you checked out Pontypool yet Skywarp?

I still have to check out Paul. Loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though so I expect I'll enjoy it.

I still have to check out Paul. Loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though so I expect I'll enjoy it.
    Paul is awesome, except I had real troubles separating the voice from Seth Rogan , certainly doesn't detract from what was otherwise a thoroughly funny film.

David and Margaret gave it 5 and 4.5 stars which compelled me to see what the fuss was about. I found the trailer to be pretty misleading, I got the impression that the robot was magical or something but it ended up being as boring as the rest of the film. The real subject matter was the last thing I was expecting (or wanting to see ).

Have you checked out Pontypool yet Skywarp?

Just acquired Pontypool and Citizen Kane, not game enough to watch Pontypool at this time of night. Might do so tomorrow

Bug (2006) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bug/

Quite an interesting film this one, kept me guessing right until the rather sad ending. It's very much a psychological drama with some Cronenberg-esque body gore (if you thought the tooth scene in Oldboy was bad, think again ) based around themes of loneliness, abuse, passion (and what it can drive people to do)...Cheery stuff like that. 6/10

Home Movie (2008) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1218197-home_movie/

I loved this movie! It features no gore, no "BOO!" moments but ended up being one of the most frightening and suspenseful movies I've seen in a long time.

This is one of those films you'll be thinking about for days. You'll argue with your friends about the ending and whether it was really plausible or not and have fun watching it again picking up all the many clues leading up to the climactic ending. The last shot of the film is a culmination of all these clues showcased in one suitably epic scene. *shudders*

I personally felt that one critical moment before the finale was pretty implausible (one of those "surely they're not that stupid" moments), however, everything else that happened after is plausible (a few clues throughout the movie show quite clearly that the "troubled" offenders are more than meets the eye). I can forgive this though because it ratchets up the tension to an unbelievable level and makes way for a truly memorable ending.

I urge people to see this little known flick, it's a real gem. 8/10