Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 123456781323 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Underworld Awakening (2012) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/underworld_awakening/

Saw this on the opening weekend and must say that I was impressed. It was an excellent chapter in the Underworld saga and it's great to see Kate Beckinsale back as Selene - the tight black outfit doesn't hurt either The ending of the film sets up a fifth installment quite nicely. Highly recommended and IMO the best in the series 9/10
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Just watched Arrietty yesterday (latest Ghibli animé - same studio that produced Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo etc etc.) -- absolutely brilliant! The story is a loose adaptation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers, and in that context it's reasonably faithful to the basic plot and spirit of the original story, but there are notable changes (the Clocks and Spiller are the only Borrowers - we don't see any others). Fantastic music from Cécile Corbel (listening her sing Arrietty's song in English/Japanese w/ a French-Bretonne accent is interesting ).

The special features disc was a tad disappointing - they play the entire movie in storyboards (which is great for film buffs) and they show every single variant commercial and there are a few trailers for other animé titles... but that was it. Nothing on the making or behind the scenes stuff or even a music video for Arrietty's Song which I would have loved to see.

But the film itself I cannot really fault - absolutely brilliant viewing pleasure. The behaviour of Niya is a bit odd for a cat toward the end, but you just have to suspend disbelief and lose yourself in the fantasy and believe that the cat is more kind-hearted or intelligent than the average cat who would've just eaten the Borrowers when he could've - but I guess they needed a plot device to reunite Sho with Arrietty at the end.

The film marks the directorial debut of Yonebayashi Hiromasa who has previously worked as an animator on previous Ghibli works and other non-Ghibli animé like Serial Experiments Lain; he's also the youngest person to direct a Ghibli animé - and I dare say I prefer his directing over that of Miyazaki Hayao's own son, Miyazaki Gorou (directed Tales of Earthsea - which is still a very nice film in its own right, but I enjoyed Arrietty a lot more). Arrietty stars Shida Mirai as the story's protagonist Arrietty Clock (the film doesn't provide their surnames so she's just called "Arrietty" in the movie); a relatively unknown actor (she's had some minor roles in other anime and tokusatsu titles). Fellow child (well, they're both 18 now) actor Kamiki Ryuunosuke plays Sho who previously voiced the baby Boh in Spirited Away and Markl in Howl's Moving Castle - and he's had supporting roles in several other anime/tokusatsu titles (including the Overlord of Darkness in Kamen Rider Agito). Ootake Shinobu plays Arrietty's mother Homily Clock - who is primarily a stage actress. Established Japanese film actor Miura Tomozaku plays Arrietty's father Pod Clock (he was the dub-voice for Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible in the Japanese dub of The Incredibles) and film/TV actress Kiki Kirin plays Haru (based on the character of Mrs. Driver in the book). Dreadful Spiller (who is just called "Spiller" in the film) is voiced by Fujiwara Tatsuya whom some of you may remember as Light Yagami in the Death Note live action films.

Highly recommended, absolutely wonderful viewing for all ages.

Melancholia (2011)

Never thought I'd say this but after having recently watched Antichrist and now this, Lars Von Trier is slowly overtaking David Lynch as my favourite film director.

The story of Melancholia focuses on sisters Justine and Claire as a planet draws closer and closer to Earth. Will it miss? Will it literally end the world as we know it? You'll have to watch to find out!

Similarly to Antichrist, the first 10 minutes of Melancholia features some of the most beautiful scenes committed to film. Stunning, simply stunning.

In terms of narrative, and certainly in comparison to Antichrist and most David Lynch films, Melancholia is relatively easy to comprehend. It's not ambiguous and loaded to the brim with symbolism like Antichrist, but it's no less fascinating to watch because of the fantastic characters Lars has created in Justine and Claire.

So, Kirsten Dunst. I'll be honest, I can't stand this actress but for Melancholia she is the perfect choice to play Justine. I've always seen her as having a kind of fake-niceness so in this movie, I like to think she's simply playing her natural self. Charlotte Gainborough is someone I hadn't even heard of before Antichrist and while her role as Claire isn't as full on as in that film, she still does an incredible job. Not sure if I like her as much as Naomi Watts but she is an amazing actress in her own right!

If you enjoy beautiful films that study the human condition, great acting focusing on a small cast and an ending that will stay with you for some time, see Melancholia. 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Melancholia (2011)

Never thought I'd say this but after having recently watched Antichrist and now this...
    Man, my Meat and 2 Veg couldn't retreat fast enough after That Scene in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Man, my Meat and 2 Veg couldn't retreat fast enough after That Scene in that movie.
    *chortles* It wasn't pleasant viewing was it...I think the first thing he did after we last see him was hop online and order one of these.
    Last edited by Doubledealer; 11th February 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    *chortles* It wasn't pleasant viewing was it...I think the first thing he did after we last see him was hop online and order one of these.
    Unfortunately, I don't think even that would save him from that crazy B****!

Requiem For a Dream (2000) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/requiem_for_a_dream/

I've kind of been dreading watching this film. So far I've enjoyed two of Darren Aranovsky's films, Pi and Black Swan. The latter is, in my opinion, a masterpiece and easily his best work. I need to revisit The Fountain but I'll admit I didn't find it immediately inspiring.

I've been dreading watching RFaD because I get the impression that it's a depressing film that simply focuses on drug abuse, the downward spiral of its protagonists and offers no 'way out'.

And that's pretty much what this film delivered. It wasn't as effecting as I thought either, probably because I really didn't care about any of the characters. Well, maybe Jennifer Connelly. WHAT a babe. *ahem*

There's not a great deal more to say about this film other than it probably should be shown as part of drug education in high schools. Having said that, the cast, with the exception of Sara, is pretty good looking which in a way glorifies the whole thing whether intentional or not.

Overall it felt like an extremely long anti-drug advertisement so I'm not too sure how to score this. For educational purposes it's quite good, for entertainment purposes it missed the mark for me.

Chronicle

It is basically a contemporary Magneto Origins with a dose of Akira and a smidge of DBZ thrown in. You won't regret it.

Saw John Carter 3D this morning. I didn't expect much, not knowing the original story, and found myself pretty captivated by the story (which kept moving at a nice pace) and the effects. The Green Martians were some of the most believable CGI characters I've seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Saw John Carter 3D this morning. I didn't expect much, not knowing the original story, and found myself pretty captivated by the story (which kept moving at a nice pace) and the effects. The Green Martians were some of the most believable CGI characters I've seen in a long time.
    Sweet! I've been looking forward to seeing that one, glad to hear it's good. Is that fat little four legged creature his pet? I love that thing, haha.

I saw The Grey (2012) on Friday night and absolutely LOVED it. Best movie of 2012 so far for me. So many memorable set pieces, beautiful cinematography and many an introspective moment. Liam Neeson as the leading man is just amazing. Can't recommend this movie enough fellow bots. Definitely worth going to see on the big screen!