Page 1 of 55 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Default Comic book thread ON!

The Ozformers Comic book thread

Didn't see a comic book thread here that or search failed on me. Love comics, I'm sure we've got a handful of comic book fans here too, so I think a comic book thread is due.

I guess let's kick things off with what everyone is following/reading at the moment.

For me it's:

Astonishing X-Men
    Avengers - The Initiative
    Avengers Invaders (though I haven't been impressed with the current issues)
    Invincible Iron Man
    Iron Man - Director of S.H.I.E.L.D
    Ms. Marvel
    Mighty Avengers
    New Avengers
    Secret Invasion (and the odd Secret Invasion tie-ins)
    Thor
    Ultimate Origins
    Uncanny X-Men (just started at #500)
    X-Force
    X-Men First Class

I'm contemplating Wolverine First Class and Young X-Men at the moment, whether or not to bother with them. I love X-Men First Class and that was the reason why I decided to give the Wolverine one a shot, sure Wolverine and Kitty team up is nice but so far the stories have been boring. Young X-Men I decided to give a look at it because I enjoyed New X-Men (Acadamy X) but first two issues haven't wowed me.

Yeah I'm a Marvel guy.

Ive always wanted to 'get into' the Marvel and DC universes, mainly because they are so big and famous

i mainly read stuff out of the blue, when i rarely have spare cash, i might pick a comic ive heard about or that has nice art or a few panels of humour.

Beano

Peter Bagges, 'The Bradleys' 'Appocalypse Nerd'

Transformers obviously, but i dont like the old marvel ones much

'The Simpsons'

"Pokemon Manga' the last time i bought an issue was in 2001, they dont sell it in Australia, and if anyone in Singapore wants to get me the english versions i would be super greatful

no much at the moment, I was thinking of buying 'the lost books of eve' cause the drawins look nice and it sounds like a neat read.

I read most of friends comics, Spidergirl, Kubushi etc

I've been an X-fan since 1991 (second only to being a Transfan) but I wait for the trades these days. I'm currently buying:

Astonishing X-Men
    X-Men: Legacy
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Factor
    New Exiles

A couple of other Marvel heroes:
    Captain America
    Daredevil
    Runaways
    She-Hulk
    Thunderbolts
    Young Avengers

All the Ultimate books:
    Ultimate X-Men
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    The Ultimates
    Ultimate Fantastic Four

And for something from a Different Company:
    Fables
    Jack of Fables

I'd list mine but it's embarrassingly long.

I'm still predominantly a Marvel person though 2/5 of my list is DC these days. Marvel's lost me a bit at times. There are a few things I read in trade these days like Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men: First Class, Punisher: War Journal; Criminal.

Piratescratch, do u read the X-Axis Reviews? I find the reviewer to match my reading sensibilities a lot and so I go on what he says and he's most of the time right. I'd steer clear of Young X-Men, I reckon. That said, i think Wolverine First Class works well but wait for trade imo. THe covers aren't good enough to justify buying single issues. I like the First Class feel, it's very light and doesn't take itself too seriously like the main Wolverine title does. X-Men First Class is awesome too in its simple fun w/ the core of the characters.

I'm not reading S.I. at the moment even though lcz128 has lended the issues to me. I might even return them to him w/out reading them. I'm very curious but between limited time and all, I'm not sure I can be bothered. And that's excluding my dislike of Bendis...

I'm w/ you, Roller. The vast majority of old Marvel TF comics sucked. It's the new stuff that I prefer though I will admit that Space Pirates has caught me off guard by how good the story is until the sudden diversion to Headmasters when it's about Space Pirates?

Of what I presently read that stands out:

- Thor: but he's an all-time favourite of mine so I guess I could be considered bias
    - Green Lantern
    - Green Lantern Corps
    - JSA
    - Transformers: Space Pirates
    - Daredevil
    - Captain America
    - Nova
    - Marvel Adventures Avengers: very funny, light
    - Criminal
    - Madame Mirage: Paul Dini sure can write. I've contemplated readin's his Batman purely on the strength of this.

And I think a spoiler space should be left in the future in case this thread starts talking about the latest comics.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    A couple of other Marvel heroes:

She-Hulk
    That any good? I stopped as soon as Dan Slott dropped off the title and I heard wind of the new direction which I'm not very happy about.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I used to splash out $150 a week on this habit but have cut back to less than $20 a week. I have so many comics stashed away (since 1989) that its unbelievably absurd. I'm looking to get rid of 3/4 of my collection, free to good homes but I still have to sort them all out. The space I gain from this should allow me to stash more toys.......
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

I read bugger all comics bar TFs
    I hate not knowing the "whole story" so it can make it hard to jump into pre-established cannon, I NEED to start at issue ONE, so all I got is marvel wise is
    Ultimate X-men (vols 1,2,3)
    Ultimate Spider-man (vols 1,2)
    thinking of selling them since I can't be bothered buying the next trades.

I quite like Hellboy, but only have vols 1,2. I will get more one day.
    Got one volume ("The Hard Goodbye") of Sin City that came with the DVD, haven't read it yet.
    I do read manga, only get Berserk these days, up to vol 23, hardcore stuff.
    Also have Neon Genesis vol 1-8 and dotHack: twilight vol 1-3 I want to get rid of.

Another comic collector here, been collecting them for roughly about 10 years, not a huge fan but I know what I like. Currently Im collecting:

Transformers
    The Incredible Hulk/Herc
    Cable
    Angel After the fall
    Buffy Season 8
    Spike After the fall
    Thor
    Gi Joe America's Elite
    Red Hulk
    Ultimate XMen

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I've been an X-fan since 1991
    Such a youngling. I've been an X-fan since 84 when I got my first Annual.

I collect mainly TPB's but will grab some singles every month for fun.

The adult Vertigo stuff is my favourite

Finite series such as..
    Sandman
    100 Bullets
    Preacher
    Fables
    Swamp Thing
    Y the Last Man

Ongoing series like...

Hellblazer

Pre-Vertigo seminal works like

Watchmen
    V for Vendetta

I was a DC boy before I was into Marvel so I love...

JLA (oldest comic I have from original series is from 1964)
    GL and GL Corps (Hal Jordan was favourite boyhood hero)
    Batman (lotsa lotsa Batman
    Green Arrow
    Legion of Super Heroes
    Teen Titans
    All the Crisis crossovers (I have the original 12 issues of the original Crisis. Favourite childhood story)

Marvel has become a very large and convoluted universe with often contrived titles IMO so I try to stick to (and get all) the Ultimate Marvel stuff but I do love the stories from their MAX imprint like...

Punisher
    Fury

Other Marvel mini series like...
    Marvels
    Earth, Universe and Paradise X
    Inhumans

Non mainstream and movie franchise comics I really love are...
    Sin City
    The Authority
    Planetary
    StormWatch (the Garth Ennis penned ones)
    Conan (new ones from Dark Horse. beautifully painted stories)
    Star Wars
    AvP
    The Big Books of...

And it wouldn't be right not to mention the comic books that got me into comics as a 5 year old (thank my Aunt mainly for buying them and passing them onto me every month) including....

Richie Rich/Casper/Spooky/Hot Stuff
    Uncle Scrooge
    The Smurfs
    Asterix
    TinTin

and of course....

TRANSFORMERS!!!

Few I haven't mentioned but I'll get around to it.
    Last edited by TheDirtyDigger; 6th August 2008 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Piratescratch, do u read the X-Axis Reviews? I find the reviewer to match my reading sensibilities a lot and so I go on what he says and he's most of the time right. I'd steer clear of Young X-Men, I reckon. That said, i think Wolverine First Class works well but wait for trade imo. THe covers aren't good enough to justify buying single issues. I like the First Class feel, it's very light and doesn't take itself too seriously like the main Wolverine title does. X-Men First Class is awesome too in its simple fun w/ the core of the characters.
    Aye, X-Axis, along with CBR and Weekly Comic Book Review are the few comic book websites that I frequent.

X-Men First Class definitely is a nice change of pace from all the "serious" that's going on in most current running series. Quick and fun read with self contained stories for each issue (though some span two).

I'm probably going to pick up the new Spider-Man loves Mary Jane that starts this month as well because a) it should be an enjoyable easy going read and b) I liked the first Spider-Man loves Mary Jane title. Hehe.

My friend lent me Captain America: Winter Soldier TPB 1 and 2 the other day, it's sitting on my desk, I need to find some time to get through them. Could end up as another series to follow. :P