Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

Default PC Hardware and building thread

Anyone else here interested in PC hardware and building? It's something that I've gotten back into over the last year or two. I'm personally waiting on AMD Ryzen and Intel Kaby Lake reviews to decide what platform to go with for my new build.

I was when I built my current rig nearly 7 years ago. I probably will be again in the next couple years... It's the longest I've gone between updates ever.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I still build my own PC(s) and never buy one prebuild. However technology now moves pretty slowly so I rarely really need to do it. The most you end up changing is just maybe a RAM upgrade and graphics card.

My PC lasted me pretty much 6 years with only a graphics card and RAM upgrade along the way - It was still able to play all games at Max and the only real reason why I recently build a new PC, is because I wanted a smaller form factor for living room play.

It's certainly not like the mid 90s or pre-2010 when technology moved so fast that you needed to upgrade at least every couple of years.

Yeah, any Intel i7 4C 8T CPU from the 4790k onwards performs almost identically at the same clocks. Intel have been sitting on their ass for years. I'm really looking forward to Ryzen cause if AMD can truly deliver better than 6900K performance on their 8C 12T CPU that should scale well across the whole range including lower core count higher core clock parts that will be better for gaming.

Used to build my own until I got a Mac Pro in 2008. Still modding this one a bit, ram upgrades, adding USB 3 and non-supporter GPUs but my next machine may be a custo pc with an OSX86 hack in addition...

Oh BTW: here's what my ultimate build (2017 edition) is going to be. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dt7Ghq

The CPU and motherboard are purely placeholder, but the rest of it is either currently installed and in use if it's marked as purchased or I'm waiting for a good special on the part.

Hopefully the 7700k's that Intel have given to motherboard manufactures that have ended up in the hands of journalist are pre-production samples or something (tho I doubt it). Intel appear once again to have stuffed up their TIM (Thermal Interface Material) application. Delidding the 7700k and applying your own TIM to the die results in a 30 degree drop in temperature. http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-77...ormance-tests/

Well the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti has been leaked via a job posting. I have to wonder how stupid high the Australia Tax will be on that one. http://www.pcworld.com/article/31511...scription.html

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

As much as the mobile devices had kicked in, it's very annoying that mobile site has some lacked features and I still have to turn on my PC time to time.

I have not bothered to make a new PC like 7 years already though I do feel I need a media pc

So it can be safely assumed that AMD Ryzen's 8C 16T variation AMD is showing off will be a subpar gaming CPU just like the Intel 6900K AMD is aiming it at. I wish AMD would show off something that would compete better against the top gaming CPU the 6700k and it's upcoming replacement the 7700k. Even if AMD gave me a 8C 16T Ryzen for free I wouldn't install it because it be worse at gaming than my 6600k.