Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 81823242526272829303132333848 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

So are you saying that despite the fact that a B709 is required, that collectors in qld, sa, and wa, shouldn't bother submitting a b709 because of a few good fortune stories? If a customs officer handed over a seized item because the receiver simply told them that they are allowed to own said item, then that customs officer isn't doing their job. Are we going to give other collectors in these states the impression that "she'll be right" or are we going to encourage them to do the free and easy process of a B709 to ensure they receive their goods with no delay or fuss due to customs hold ups? I only needed to be inconvenienced once to know that there's a smarter, easier way.
    Don't try to indirectly suggest i was calling other collectors liars either, that's poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    So are you saying that despite the fact that a B709 is required, that collectors in qld, sa, and wa, shouldn't bother submitting a b709 because of a few good fortune stories? If a customs officer handed over a seized item because the receiver simply told them that they are allowed to own said item, then that customs officer isn't doing their job. Are we going to give other collectors in these states the impression that "she'll be right" or are we going to encourage them to do the free and easy process of a B709 to ensure they receive their goods with no delay or fuss due to customs hold ups? I only needed to be inconvenienced once to know that there's a smarter, easier way.
    Don't try to indirectly suggest i was calling other collectors liars either, that's poor form.
    I'll clarify: although a permit is not required in SA and WA to own these toys, because Customs is a Federal (not state) body, a Form B1709A is indeed required in order to have the toy released from Customs should it be seized.

Reference links:
    http://megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_SA.htm
    http://megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_WA.htm

Our discussion on this matter is over.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Question for those in Victoria who have all relevant documents to legally own a gun megatron, with the fee every 3 years, do they send a bill or do you have to re-submit the form each time, how does it work?

All I know is this is getting overly expensive, if it was a one time fee no problem, I'm starting to hate my state now

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That fee is waived in NSW. It still appears on the form, but we don't have to pay it, so we just ignore it. Check to see if it's been similarly waived in VIC too.
    Would be nice if it was waived, or just a one time payment rather than every 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    You can tell customs all you want that you live in a state where a permit to possess isn't required, they will not release your goods till they receive your B709. It's not hard to understand, importing replica and imitation firearms first requires compliance with federal law in all states and territories.
    The discussion could've ended there ^ lol. Anyway, yes its over now. peace

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Question for those in Victoria who have all relevant documents to legally own a gun megatron, with the fee every 3 years, do they send a bill or do you have to re-submit the form each time, how does it work?

All I know is this is getting overly expensive, if it was a one time fee no problem, I'm starting to hate my state now
    Don't take me for my word, but given the backward nature of our state's regulations to own any G1 styled Megatron, Its likely that virtually no one owns that permit. I certainly don't remember anyone here saying they went through that process in 2007 with mp-05. And plenty of collectors have owned a G1 megs from before the MP-5 fiasco and were unaware of any restrictions, and some likely continue to be.

I genuinely believe that no one in Victoria actually does have that permit solely to own a Megatron. No one in their right mind should be spending $200 every 3 years to own a plastic collectible toy which will likely be worth no more than $200 itself. I'm not saying you should ignore the permit, I'm saying that if had to choose between owning a megatron and paying the 3-yearly fee, or not owning one, the sensible choice would be to not own it IMO.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

FatalityPitt Guest

A bit of a dumb question on my part, and I risk sounding like a fool for asking, but these discussions about importing Megatron has gotten me curious (I've never owned a G1 or MP Megatron) - If buying a loose/OOP Megatron from online, like from eBay for example; what if you ask the seller to pack Megatron in robot mode instead of gun mode?

Having bought things online, I think it's unlikely the customs officer would open the parcel. Even if they did, and unless they're educated TF fans; what are the odds of them recognising that the toy becomes a realistic-looking gun?

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    A bit of a dumb question on my part, and I risk sounding like a fool for asking, but these discussions about importing Megatron has gotten me curious (I've never owned a G1 or MP Megatron) - If buying a loose/OOP Megatron from online, like from eBay for example; what if you ask the seller to pack Megatron in robot mode instead of gun mode?
    In 2007 Australian Customs learnt how to recognise Megatron's silhouette in robot mode. MP5 Megatron is packaged in robot mode and Customs were detecting and seizing those toys, which is what led to reforms being made in NSW laws (and subsequently some other states) in 2007.

General question, what if...by chance a retail shop was selling a megatron?

I remember a tiny obscure anime shop (won't say where incase they do it again since I like these guys, but I do know they moved since) having an mp05 in robot mode on display, I thought it was beautiful at the time, I wonder what I was on at the time to think that.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Having bought things online, I think it's unlikely the customs officer would open the parcel.
    I've bought so much stuff online and only once in all my years did customs ever do a random check, and it was for 2 gundam model kits.

And those guys weren't gentle as the model kit boxes inside were banged up with box cutter marks all over them, with xray scanning I didn't understand why they did what they did?

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    General question, what if...by chance a retail shop was selling a megatron?
    I think that, depending on state/territory, they are technically supposed to ask for proof that you're allowed to own it, but in most cases it's generally a "don't ask don't tell" situation, so if they don't ask or take details...