Page 87 of 195 FirstFirst ... 6777828384858687888990919297107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Comparing Bayformers w/ their G1 counterparts and how other movie-franchises' designs compare with their respective source material.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

There was a x responds to y video that went around a while ago with kids being shown G1. Who knows how it was edited. Short version on seeing G1

Prime. Awesome.

Megs. How is that scary?

Bee. Woah. You have let yourself go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Megs. How is that scary?
    Scary enough!

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

😀

It was food for thought. In the 80s the bad guys were reasonably attractive and achieved menace through actions and motifs. By the end of the 90s they had fangs and by the end of the 00s they were literal monsters.

I go on about how a toy has to contain the whole message about a character. At some point it crossed a line where a Decepticon badge wasn't enough.

I never followed the cartoons after G1, but has Transformers delved or come close to this whole concept of "gotta collect them all!" or "competition" style plot lines?

Basically I was building a Gunpla and looking into the backstory of what I was building (I don't actually watch Gundam, I just like cool robots), and found out it came from a series called "Gundam Build Fighters". Which to me was just this ridiculous concept of reducing the Gundam franchise to yet another competition style cartoon show.

I never liked that style of plot-line, including Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beybladez, etc. I guess I'm from the old-school of epic good vs evil storylines. Characters blah-blah-blah-ing about stats, power levels, power-ups just feels like lazy writing IMO.

Yes. Transformers Armada, particularly the cartoon, has the Pokemon touch to it. For the first half dozen episodes the plot each week revolved around a new Minicon being found and the Autobots and Decepticons racing to be the ones that caught it. It was one of the reasons Armada was disliked a lot at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I never followed the cartoons after G1, but has Transformers delved or come close to this whole concept of "gotta collect them all!" or "competition" style plot lines?

Basically I was building a Gunpla and looking into the backstory of what I was building (I don't actually watch Gundam, I just like cool robots), and found out it came from a series called "Gundam Build Fighters". Which to me was just this ridiculous concept of reducing the Gundam franchise to yet another competition style cartoon show.

I never liked that style of plot-line, including Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beybladez, etc. I guess I'm from the old-school of epic good vs evil storylines. Characters blah-blah-blah-ing about stats, power levels, power-ups just feels like lazy writing IMO.
    As people have said Armada was very much in line with 'catch 'em all' statement, in my opinion this also applies to RID as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    As people have said Armada was very much in line with 'catch 'em all' statement, in my opinion this also applies to RID as well.
    I was like huh, but then I realised you meant the current RID. And you're right, particularly since Fixit brings out his Pokedex each episode to give us the stats on the new Decepticon.

Ergh really? Glad I missed that boat. Thanks for the lesson, I hope by the time I have kids this trope is dead and buried.

Ralph Wiggum: I highly, HIGHLY recommend that you watch Beast Wars. If you're going to watch just one post-G1 Transformers cartoon, then watch Beast Wars. Aside from having the best screen story ever written for Transformers, it is also definitely free from that "Get 'Em All" vibe that you get with Armada and other TF shows.

One reason for this is because CG animation is really expensive and Beast Wars had a relatively modest budget - one which was cut for Seasons 2 and 3. For this reason, the show only ever has a limited cast number. There are only a set number of Transformers who are on the show at any one time. And sometimes when new characters (and thus new CG models) are introduced, old models are removed from the show... often brutally.

The CG animation may look dated, but bear in mind that this show is about 20 years old. More importantly, the stories are still really excellent. If you want to see a pretty visual spectacle, then go watch Bayformers (I'm serious - those movies do look really good). Beast Wars won't give you that level of spectacle -- they didn't have a US$200 million dollar budget. But what it'll give you is one unforgettable story.