View Poll Results: MP Ultra Magnus - worth getting?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hells yeah - he is huge and awesome!

57 85.07%
  • Only if cheap

5 7.46%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

3 4.48%
  • He should have stayed in Rodimus' shadow

2 2.99%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    oh gawd, please don't make a new FIRRIB-like UMRIWUMRIP (Ultra Magnus' Rifle is white Ultra Magnus' rifle is purple) debate! </cheek>
    I'm soooo tempted to start a UMRIWUMRIP poll! It'll break the Internet!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I'm soooo tempted to start a UMRIWUMRIP poll! It'll break the Internet!
    Isn't Umriwumrip a town in the Northern Territory?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I'd be down with that

Well except for the lighter blue
    The lighter blue would be the only reason I'd buy it!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    example of someone who'd prefer a hybrid between show and toon likeness. what colour would you like the eyes to be? Blue like the cartoon & comics, yellow like the G1 box art, or holed or white like the G1 toy? I'd go for yellow.
    I would still go with blue, although a face gimmick wouldn't be a bad (or difficult) compromise to make for those who want to choose their preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The lighter blue would be the only reason I'd buy it!
    Different strokes for different folks!

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Do you want your mp

in toon accuracy

in G1 Toy accuracy

Or compromised best of either, up to the designer not what fans think or toon looked.
    When it comes to non-toy or toon accuracy I generally don't mind the Hasbro design team's choice of decos. I find they have pretty good taste. Problem is the budget constraints often don't really give them much to work with. This is improving in the recent Generations line.

Come on, who really likes a purple gun? lol
    I do. I goes well with the rest of the toon-accurate colours on MP22, and I'm someone who actually prefers toy accuracy over show-accuracy^likeness. But if a toy is going to be show-accurate, then make it as show-accurate as possible. Half-half toy/show accurate toys kinda bug me; I'd much rather it be one or the other.

And hey - it's ULTRA MAGNUS! His motto is "Consistency is victory!" It would be somewhat out of character for him to walk around with a cartoon-accurate body, while wielding a toy-accurate coloured rifle! He'd probably have to end up arresting himself for violating the Canonical Cosmetic Adherence Act, and while locking the bars, declare that it was "fully deserved."

I didn't make a debate on it, as far as I am concerned, you don't like it because of a purple gun then don't buy it, or just show magnus fight bare hands.
    Or paint it white.

As far as debating, its over, the toy is made, don't think a string of arguements will change TT minds at this point.

It becoming quite obvious and maybe a poll should be made,

Do you want your mp

in toon accuracy

in G1 Toy accuracy

Or compromised best of either, up to the designer not what fans think or toon looked.
    If only TakaraTOMY would make such a poll -- oh wait, they HAVE! Okay, granted it's now geoblocked, but we've had 10 years to submit feedback via these surveys about stuff like this. I'm more miffed over not being able to submit more direct feedback about the more recent MPs, and also not being able to continue voting on and nominating for future characters. But as far as toy/show accuracy? We've had a long time to tell TakTOM about what we think about that.

I'm just posting my MP wishes on TakaraTOMY's FB page now; but no idea if they pay any attention to that.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Either way, is beginning to frustrate people wish for either accuracy and I am a bit shocked that there isn't a standard. This way is easy for everyone to collect rather than one wait for the other to happen.

Takara has not bother to add paint apps to the mp-10,
    Don't they know that the ko version is looking better?

I know, it is what it is, I am just surprised there isn't a fight for improvements.

Either way, is beginning to frustrate people wish for either accuracy and I am a bit shocked that there isn't a standard. This way is easy for everyone to collect rather than one wait for the other to happen.
    Curious...

Don't they know that the ko version is looking better?
    Great question. You should ask them.

Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKO-eMIuol4

It's Mother F'N ULTRA MAGNUS! Whoa! Takara have hit this release way out of the park, with an awesomely accurate and badass Masterpiece of the City commander himself; Ultra Magnus.
    As I write this, I have just received both Masterpiece Ultra Magnus and Masterpiece Bumblebee (Bumble). Both releases are incredible (more coverage on bumble soon). Magnus is a massive beefcake of beefynus, he hits the animation model perfectly with many improvements of course.

With both complex and quite simple engineering incorporated, magnus is quite intuitive to transform to and from both modes, the cab transformation may give you a little grief initially but then its a piece of cake. The biggest things to watch whilst transforming are to be careful when rotating the smoke stacks. But the biggest thing to be very careful and mindful is transforming the pelvis plate back and forth as it easily is stressed and in some instances it has broken on copies of the toy. My advice is applying even and gradual pressure whiles rotating the joint as close to the hinge as possible. Stress marks may still appear but it should help in the long run. One tip is leave the plate in its robot mode position permanently as it doesn't overly affect the overall aesthetics. See the tutorial video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6o7-K1Rd9w

Overall articulation is great considering how big and blocky Magnus is, the only thing he is really 'missing' is a waist rotation but that is really nit picking. Also with big slabs or diecast for his feet, Magnus is ULTRA stable. See what I did there haha. In truck mode, the car carrier is fully functional just the its G1 predecessor as well as a detachable cab with spots for Spike and Daniel to ride along. The carrier mode is capable of carrying four masterpiece cars (with the exception of hotrod/rodimus) or similar sized transformers.

One let down of a figure of this kind and price is the visible sprue marks in various place of Magnus body, most egregious being on his forearms. It may have been unavoidable but I wish more care was taken in removing them from the injection moulded sprue.

Overall Ultra Magnus is an A1 release and well worth picking up. I personally thing at a sub $200 price tag, he is great value for your dollars.

View full Gallery here:
    https://kalelreviews.wordpress.com/2...w-and-gallery/

Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Believe it or not, I enjoyed transforming him over mp-10 prime.

Believe it or not, I enjoyed transforming him over mp-10 prime.
    Same.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast