Thread: Mattel gets punished for corporate espionage

Default Mattel gets punished for corporate espionage

In 2001, the Bratz toys were meant to take on the monopoly of Mattel's Barbie, and actually looked like it would be worthy competition... until a US Federal Court Jury the other day found that Mattel conducted 'unfair business practices by engaging in corporate espionage at toy fairs and conspiring to keep Bratz products off retail shelves.'

The penalty was US$88 million... which is small change for Mattel, who already poured in millions into the 6 year legal battle.

I hate seeing large corporate entities crushing the little guys who don't have as much money or power behind them, but at least this time it looks like the little guy won out.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    In 2001, the Bratz toys were meant to take on the monopoly of Mattel's Barbie, and actually looked like it would be worthy competition... until a US Federal Court Jury the other day found that Mattel conducted 'unfair business practices by engaging in corporate espionage at toy fairs and conspiring to keep Bratz products off retail shelves.'

The penalty was US$88 million... which is small change for Mattel, who already poured in millions into the 6 year legal battle.

I hate seeing large corporate entities crushing the little guys who don't have as much money or power behind them, but at least this time it looks like the little guy won out.
    They can risk millions in a legal fallout to spy on dolls which are pretty straight forward and uniform in concept but ask them to throw in an extra head in a MOTUC figure and it's suddenly cost prohibitive.
    Last edited by kup; 25th April 2011 at 09:43 AM.

I agree Griffin, it is always nice to see a big Corporate group cop a chip to their ego/pride - I personally don't have a lot of respect for the Bratz Dollz approach to sexualising Baby versions of it's dolls but a win for the little guy, none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    They can risk millions in a legal fallout to spy on dolls which are pretty straight forward and uniform in concept but ask them to throw in an extra head in a MOTUC figure and it's suddenly cost prohibitive.
    Haha, now it will be down to one accessory for MOTUC to cover the $88 million that they just lost