Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: Combiner Wars animated series by Machinima

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Ok so I haven't read this thread since the first episode was released and I was very VERY disappointed in the show. Just after some thoughts here with no spoilers (if that is possible), is it worth watching the series?
    No.

A highly recommend this stop motion of Victorion vs Devastator. Way better than the battles in the actual show.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    A highly recommend this stop motion of Victorion vs Devastator. Way better than the battles in the actual show.
    I already saw that and if the battles in the show remain like ep. 1 then yes i agree!

So far the consensus seems to be not to bother... I watched the first but it was like listing to nails down a chalkboard. Perhaps I'll watch it with my son too and see if that helps.

Finally, it's over.

Other than some really heinous dialogue my other big criticism is the lack of background sfx and music, I get that the budget was limited but animation and film need these two elements!

The absence of these two things really highlighted how bad the dialogue was.

That stop motion was more entertaining than this entire Combiner Wars series has been!

The final episode was pretty lamentable, but there were at least two elements that I liked:
    * Seeing Windblade control Metroplex's arm with her own
    * Windblades' "the Titans have returned!" line... although this simultaneously filled me with dread because I really hope that they don't make a sequel series for CW.
    But pockets of coolness isn't enough to make the episode (let alone the series) good. It's much like the live action movies - each one has moments that are good, but overall it's not enough to save the story.

So I finally sat down and watched them with my son tonight. He just wanted to see Devi fight so as soon as that occurred he was done with it. I toughed it out until the end. Just felt like a half arsed mini movie. Is it accurate that the 'Combiner Wars' literally started and ended in 1 day? There are just so many questions left unanswered it felt, even regarding just background and plot.

I think the story had potential if properly fleshed out. Perhaps I am just overly critical as the story pales in comparison to the IDW comics, imho.

Overall summary, if you have nothing at all else to do for 40 mins and you are a Combiner Wars toys fan, then sure give it a try. I will not be rushing to watch Titans Return. Give me the IDW comics any day!

Side note: there were a few nice nods to the 1986 movie I saw in there that were not over the top so that was actual a highlight.

Apparently Machinima took the Combiner Wars cartoon off their youtube channel, so Hasbro have added it to theirs... for anyone still wanting to watch it.

Episode 1 - The Fall

Episode 2 - The Council

Episode 3 - The Duel

Episode 4 - Unforgotten

Episode 5 - Homecoming

Episode 6 - War of Giants

Episode 7 - The Darkest Hour

Episode 8 - Destruction's Dawn

that was pretty good, if at times a bit fast for me to follow what was going on lol